Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 11-23-2007

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long
Default The idea behind the Defiler's dark swarm

i read a story a while back on starcraft legacy which i think was called My Life for Auir or something along those lines and it was split up into a hole bunch of chapters and in one of the chapters it describes the defilers dark swarm and its effects. it disrupted communications and seroiusly reduced the line of sight of the marines so that they couldnt see where the zerglings and stuff were until it was too late

well in starcraft 1, dark swarm only had 1 of these effects and i was thinking what if it had both, or there was another ability that could actually prevent enemy players from controling their units where ever the spell was cast. The units that end up getting stuck in the aoe would basically just continue following the orders of whatever it was told to do last so if you cast this ability on a bunch of marines just standing somewhere then the player who owns those marines couldnt order the marines to do anything until the aoe spell wore off.

i just think an ability like this would be a cool zerg ability, though perhaps it wouldnt be fair to have this and the dark swarm effects in 1 ability so perhaps you could have the regular dark swarm and then another ability that would do what i already described

what do you think and what other cool zerg abilities can you think of

RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif   

Old 11-23-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

The Zerg need at least 2 caster units - one ground, one air.
[shameless self promotion] My unit list has 3 (Heinous, Corrupter, Terralisk), which is completely acceptable [/shameless self promotion]

Let's look at all the abilities of the Queen and Defiler:
Parasite
Ensnare
Broodling
Dark Swarm
Plague
Consume

Of these, the most commonly used were Parasite, Dark Swarm, and Consume because they were vital to keeping the weak Zerg alive longer, either through scouting or damage aversion. These abilities should absolutely come back, but perhaps in a different form.

Ensnare, Broodling, and Plague were all very case specific abilities, used mostly in the odd chance the oppenent is using units who have enough HP to be worth plaguing, are fast enough to be worth ensnaring, or they were placed improperly and can be picked off by a Broodling. These abilities also have the potential to come back, but altered so they are more useful more often.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 11-23-2007

Canada Drake Clawfang
Guardian of Helm
 Drake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
The Zerg need at least 2 caster units - one ground, one air.
[shameless self promotion] My unit list has 3 (Heinous, Corrupter, Terralisk), which is completely acceptable [/shameless self promotion]

Let's look at all the abilities of the Queen and Defiler:
Parasite
Ensnare
Broodling
Dark Swarm
Plague
Consume

Of these, the most commonly used were Parasite, Dark Swarm, and Consume because they were vital to keeping the weak Zerg alive longer, either through scouting or damage aversion. These abilities should absolutely come back, but perhaps in a different form.

Ensnare, Broodling, and Plague were all very case specific abilities, used mostly in the odd chance the oppenent is using units who have enough HP to be worth plaguing, are fast enough to be worth ensnaring, or they were placed improperly and can be picked off by a Broodling. These abilities also have the potential to come back, but altered so they are more useful more often.
Yes. I have an idea for combining two of those spells together. However, I've done my unit-whoring for the month, so I cannot elaborate.

*coughcorruptercough*

Drake Clawfang has 3,330 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-23-2007

United States Gradius
For Vengenace
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODTHEGOD View Post
i read a story a while back on starcraft legacy which i think was called My Life for Auir or something along those lines and it was split up into a hole bunch of chapters and in one of the chapters it describes the defilers dark swarm and its effects. it disrupted communications and seroiusly reduced the line of sight of the marines so that they couldnt see where the zerglings and stuff were until it was too late
I always thought that since the defiler fired actual creatures, the creatures that made up the dark swarm actually arranged themselves to move the bullets away from friendly units when the bullets were fired into the swarm. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but i think it sounds pretty cool.

Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  

Old 11-23-2007

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I don't think taking away unit commands makes that much sense, actually; while in-game you control pretty much everything units do, in-universe a High Templar surrounded by a Dark Swarm effect can still use his Psi Storm. (He's probably seconds from death, though )

Marines, even dumb ones, would probably stop following orders and would instead panic. I think simply putting the units under "retarded AI" control makes more sense, although that's probably impossible to balance. (Randomness is so hard to balance.)

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 11-23-2007

United States vIsitor
BF Member
 vIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightened

Change Dark Swarm into Anti-Micro Swarm? Hmm...Interesting. You might, perhaps, be on to something there.

There is no penguin level!

pm.gif   

Old 11-23-2007

India Lord Kungai
Fury of the Swarm
 Lord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of win

What if dark swarm was actually a cloud of corrosive viral organisms that drained all the hp but 1 of all teh units that remain in the cloud?

What if dark swarm covered a giant area and caused all units in that area to be blinded?

What if dark swarm 'summoned' 50 black zerglings? Who rode in gangsta' style and shot all the defiler's enemies?

The possibilities are limitless...

Lord Kungai has 1,712 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-24-2007

Australia Wrath
The Fifth Circle calls...
 Wrath doesn't suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kungai View Post
What if dark swarm was actually a cloud of corrosive viral organisms that drained all the hp but 1 of all teh units that remain in the cloud?

What if dark swarm covered a giant area and caused all units in that area to be blinded?

What if dark swarm 'summoned' 50 black zerglings? Who rode in gangsta' style and shot all the defiler's enemies?

The possibilities are limitless...
It should definitely do all of the above...twice.

Wrath has 140 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-24-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kungai View Post
Or they could be white republican Crackerlings.

*Rimshot*

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 11-24-2007

United States Pinky Lee
Philippe Bunau-Varilla
 Pinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant futurePinky Lee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
Or they could be white republican Crackerlings.

*Rimshot*
Or white trash crackheadlings

Pinky Lee has 206 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-24-2007

United States areese87
BF Member
 areese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of win

"My God, Jimmy, what are those creatures? Are they bugs? Monsters? DEATH?!!!"

"No, John-boy- it's the Young Republicans!"

That would be a scary idea- Defilers projecting an army of Karl Roves. AHHH!!!!!

Anyway, it sounds cool, though balance could be an issue.

areese87 has 1,702 Posts

Obama has won. The seas of change are flooding the streets- a deluge of possibility, a monsoon of opportunity, a literal tsunami of inspiration. We're talking hope. And the only thing left to do is to put on some swimming trunks, maybe a pair of goggles, and just riiiide the wave...

And a major pox on that bastard Jeph Loeb. Everything you touch dies.

pm.gif   

Old 11-25-2007

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long

or what about if the zerg have an ability that actually creates fog of war in an area for a limited period of time, even if the enemy has troops there
causing the enemy to retreat into the safe zone

RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif   

Old 11-25-2007

Australia Wrath
The Fifth Circle calls...
 Wrath doesn't suck

Main problem is that the ability you describe is either not particularly helpful or really imbalanced. If dark swarm created fog of war on the minimap only then it would not be a great return on the investment. If it created fog of war on the map itself it would be highly imbalanced. Just think if every time you tried to attack a base the entire thing was blanked out so you couldn't see your troops as they attacked. Either that or zerg players could force the opponent back with a wave of fog of war. Too much potential for abuse.

Wrath has 140 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-25-2007

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

And/or maybe reduce their visual radius to one (and prevent them from sharing vision with each other).

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif