Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 01-17-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member
 Burian is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Survey on stories in video games

Hi there!

I know this thread might be bending the rules a little bit, as I'm going to "advertise" another website here, but please read on before thinking about deleting this post:

I'm a Research Assistant at the University of Bonn and we are conducting a series of studies on computer and video games, especially geared towards the relationship between the player and the storylines most modern games feature.

That's why I'd like you to participate in an online questionnaire today. It'll only take you 10 to 15 minutes (I know, everyone says that - but it's true with our study!) and you'll greatly help us with our research.

>> http://www.medienfest.de/survey-stories/index.php

The questionnaire is in English, so no worries. And it's completely anonymous, we won't save any data other than the answers you are providing us with.

Thank you for your participation!

Oh, and please refrain from discussing specific questions or opinions in this thread: it might influence other readers and thus skew the data. You might, of course, discuss more general questions and mention things you thought while taking the survey, but couldn't express using the means provided by the survey. Thanks again.

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Brazil Amok
Critter Christmas
 Amok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than you

Why is a university doing a study like this?

Amok has 7,707 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member

Why shouldn't we be? Video games are a relatively new form of media, so it is applicable to media studies. Plus, video games and games in general have as of now not been researched properly in the field of the humanities, compared to, say, Hitchcock's movies.

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Haven't studies like this been done before? What makes this survey any different or worthwhile in the face of all those conflicting studies about violent video games influencing the youth? Is this a more important issue, or is it a clever scheme to change the focus of research in the field?

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member

First of, I'm not to judge whether this issue is more important than "finding out" if violent video games really do have effects on the players. That's generally a social sciences approach, while we're going at it from the perspective of the humanities. It's apples and oranges.

The fact is, there is not much research on other aspects of video games other than that. Nick Yee has done quite a few surveys on MMORPGs, for example (c.f. http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus), but that's about it. On another note, there is quite a discussion between scholars whether video game stories are in fact stories and can be analyzed as those. We're trying to find out what role stories play in games, from the players' point-of-view. That's unique, as far as I know.

So, in a nutshell: This isn't about the old discussion on violent video games, it's about what you like and dislike.

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

I like stories.

Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  

Old 01-17-2008

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns

I'm all for helping advance education. I'm filling it out right now.

EDIT: My computer's still working, so it's not a scam or virus or anything.

If any of you have the time, why don't you go ahead and fill it out. It only took me a few minutes.

Last edited by Zero; 01-17-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."
- Gamespy talking about the original Oregon Trail

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Brazil Amok
Critter Christmas
 Amok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than you

I participated, is this psychology study or something?

Amok has 7,707 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Sounds like it Amok. Social psychology maybe? Took all of about 7 minutes to get done lol. Best of luck with the study Burian.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member

It's media science, actually. There is no fancy psychology lie-to-your-participant-to-get-the-proper-results-stuff going on here. Keep in mind this is the first of a series of studies we are planning to do, that's why it may seem a little... well... basic. We're can go into more detail once we've established those basics. Again, not much has been done research-wise in this field.

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Youtube video in the survey doesn't work.

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 01-17-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God

Worked fine for me in Firefox.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-18-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
Youtube video in the survey doesn't work.
That's odd. Must've been a glitch with YouTube, works fine with me now. Anyone else can report on this, please?

pm.gif   

Old 01-18-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country mixx
Have a nice day...
 mixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than you

Did the survey, the video worked fine for me, although I canīt understad the point of the it but whatever.

And I actualy enjoyed this survey.

mixx has 6,270 Posts

Take thee this thing covered with that stuff and give it unto that guy, that he may do things with it.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to mixx Send a message via Yahoo to mixx 

Old 01-19-2008

Germany Burian
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixx View Post
Did the survey, the video worked fine for me, although I canīt understad the point of the it but whatever.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you the whole point of that as long as the survey is live, sorry.

But I appreciate you enjoying the survey

pm.gif