Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much
Default Trying to be as unbiased as possible: What is your opinion of Obama's first few weeks

I'm serious... which is why I posted it in SD.

Regardless of how you felt before the election or any feelings you've carried over how do you feel about him and what his administration has done in it's first few weeks?

I'm asking this because I know that a lot of the time posters (especially here in SD and especially Americans) have to be true to their political colours. We all know that traditionally Americans are not very central in their beliefs but I come from a country where up until the last few elections neither major party has had very different agendas because so many voters in Canada are afraid of change.

So I ask you, and I'm especially curious to hear from the most outspoken posters from either political party. What are your opinions of Obama so far? At Republicans is there anything he's done that you like? That has changed your mind? And at Democrats is there anything he's done that makes you question if he was the right man for the job, or that you've disliked?

Personally I think so far he's exceeding my expectations. And those of many, I mean heck he's lived which is something a lot of people didn't expect him to do. He's also taken some key first steps which whether you agree with or not made a very loud statement. I wonder if after interviewing inmates at Guantanamo he will possibly launch investigations into the former administration and see why the torture was not addressed sooner but then again maybe he'll try and bury the whole thing for the good of the country. So far though, if I were to rate his actions on a scales of -10 being horrible to 10 being amazing I'd say he's at a 6 level. Not everything I agree with but so far he hasn't done a bad job and compared to the former President has yet to say anything that is truly embarassing.

Anyways I'm curious and I hope you guys respond to this, lets try and make it a friendly discussion eh?

KP has 9,752 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-02-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

On the specific side? I disagree with his support of California's mileage requirements. I think he might not fully comprehend what a chore we have in promoting reform in the Middle East. I don't know how we will support a further 30,000 troops in Afghanistan.

However, I feel the the new administration has brought a new attitude and frame of mind to DC, something not seen since the Reagan years.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Well, since Sean deleted my response as it was deemed not up to par with SD standards, I'll try to rephrase it.

Obama is a lying, backstabbing fake; is slowly failing and going back on his promises; and I totally freaking called it.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-02-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

If it is true, then good call DS.

There is always hope, though.

Rite?

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  

Old 02-02-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Rite?
Depends on how you look at it. How many of your fellow Jews hoped they would be saved from heir Hitler, and instead ended up in mass graves because they just ran out of time?

The level of hope is entirely dependent on how much knowledge one possesses of the current situation and the time they personally have to be "rescued."

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-02-2009

Brazil Amok
Critter Christmas
 Amok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than you

I think we should refrain from judging. It's still to soon. Seriously.

Amok has 7,707 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada KP
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

I will say this about Obama. Here in Canada (and all over most of the world) politicians are getting into power on a platform where essentially they just shit on the other political parties. Where politicians spend all their money on attack ads and none on promoting their own message.

Obama did something a bit different. He won through a message of goodwill and change. And like him or not you have to respect that. That a positive campaign won an election is a big deal.

KP has 9,752 Posts

Old 02-02-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Obama had his share of attack ads as well, the news just chose to portray him in a specific way.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada KP

See I don't think that's true. Agreed there were some anti-republican ads but the overall message of his campaign was hope. Look at his speeches throughout the campaign. I'm not saying you can't take shots at your opponent in a debate or make yourself look better based on someone's mistakes but if you were to compare our last election with yours you would see what I mean. Obama had a large number of very positive messages to spread and you can't chalk that all up to the media.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be some Obama lover here I'm just impressed with the things he's doing so far. I don't own any Obama pins or t-shirts just fyi

KP has 9,752 Posts

Old 02-02-2009

United States Sean Quixote
Naked and Fearless
 Sean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshSean Quixote should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
Obama had a large number of very positive messages to spread and you can't chalk that all up to the media.
IIRC, Obama had more ads than McCain in the first place, but his ratio of positive-to-negative ads was still higher. But I do agree with you that that's not how he won the election, it was most certainly for the most part I think the positive message (see: "Hopenosis") that got him in, not necessarily the "backlash" against Bush's policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoSquid
Obama is a lying, backstabbing fake; is slowly failing and going back on his promises; and I totally freaking called it.
Exactly which ones are you referring to? He seriously hasn't really done jack shit, yet. He signed the order to close down Gitmo within a year, he's trying to get the stimulus plan to pass, which were both campaign promises, and that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheRave

Rite?
Uhm, again, what? Since fucking when did the first two weeks of an administration ever fortell how the rest of it will go? Hope for, what? That Obama will order lollipops and cotton candy for every single citizen?

Hope is for cancer patients, the otherwise-terminally-ill, and otherwise impotent. Make your own damn destiny, don't vote for it...

Sean Quixote has 15,282 Posts

There is no other choice.
Ronald Reagan is the Devil:

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Sean Quixote Send a message via AIM to Sean Quixote  

Old 02-02-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Personally I don't think he's had a bad start. I'm anxiously anticipating a war inside Pakistan though. That country's falling apart and the current governments recently begun to lose control of many of its northern provinces. We can't afford to not get involved.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

I think Obama has definitely made some positive steps in the first few weeks of his inauguration. He ended the colloquial "War on Terror," closed Gitmo, ending the war in Iraq, froze salaries on all the white house staff and his cabinet. These are definitely positive steps that the nation needs right now.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada KP

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0teLVi0LeT View Post
Personally I don't think he's had a bad start. I'm anxiously anticipating a war inside Pakistan though. That country's falling apart and the current governments recently begun to lose control of many of its northern provinces. We can't afford to not get involved.
Yeah when the Taliban are slowly taking over a country and you actually have a legitimate war going on with them you can not afford not to take action. It's how Obama goes about this that will determine the success of his presidency.

KP has 9,752 Posts

Old 02-02-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

http://www.pakistanwatch.org/main.php?t=M&st=M

The country's a shithole right now.

Hopefully if we get involved in Pakistan, it won't include building or rebuilding another "democracy" there like we did in Afghanistan or Iraq. Otherwise it'll be another trillion dollars in the drain.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Just so you guys know I didn't vote nor neither of them. Obamas speech skill is really good though, that is undeniable.

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  
Closed Thread