Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 02-11-2009

United States rendamr
BF Member
 rendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightened
Default Re: The Psychological Basis for Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Because it's an insignificant difference, like skin color.
And yet people still discriminate based on such trivial things as eye color ... gg? You first said you heard of no such differences as discrimination based on eye color, I gave you an example, and now you say it is insignificant.

Also, basing what kids do as being natural is false since they still have years to grow, and become an adult. Many adult habits do not exist in kids, because it takes time for kids to grow. I'm fairly sure you know the human brain is not fully grown till around eighteen or twenty one. I'm to lazy to use google right now.

And stop deleteing GA's posts Neo. I'd like a chance to at least read them.

Israel is in the right.

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

I highlighted the context of the current discussion, suggested that DE was being intellectually dishonest and willfully ignorant in our discussion, and Neo accused me of being off topic and making personal attacks. My post was infracted, then deleted, and you can see how the thread was bettered.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendamr View Post
And yet people still discriminate based on such trivial things as eye color ... gg? You first said you heard of no such differences as discrimination based on eye color, I gave you an example, and now you say it is insignificant.
Depends on what you mean by "discriminate." You are using an irrelevent definition that doesn't really apply to what we are talking about. Of course we all discriminate against each other for a variety of reasons. Men discriminate against ugly women, for example, and vice-versa.

When we are talking about discriminating against someone solely because of their skin color this is indeed much different than a personal attraction preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendamnr
Also, basing what kids do as being natural is false since they still have years to grow, and become an adult. Many adult habits do not exist in kids, because it takes time for kids to grow. I'm fairly sure you know the human brain is not fully grown till around eighteen or twenty one. I'm to lazy to use google right now.
Are you talking about learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive
I highlighted the context of the current discussion, suggested that DE was being intellectually dishonest and willfully ignorant in our discussion, and Neo accused me of being off topic and making personal attacks. My post was infracted, then deleted, and you can see how the thread was bettered.
I agree with Neo and I think he did an excellent job at confronting your personal, off-topic attacks. Good job Neo, keep up the good work.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

The human exists in two ways. There is the thing-in-itself, which is to say, the actually existing objective human in the world. There is then the thing-for-itself, which is to say, the self-conscious. The thing-for-itself attempts, but never completely successfully, to self-analyze, to create an image of itself which is absolutely necessary for the being to be able to act, but which is never a completely accurate image of the objective thing in itself. The reason for this is because the rational mind needs to treat things as objects so that it can understand the principles by which they operate and the principles by which it should operate in relation to them. However, the thing in itself, being a subject rather than an object, never fully and totally conforms to the thing for itself's attempt to turn it into an object. So our self conscious can never be in complete harmony with our objective self.

This is even more exaggerrated when the conscious attempts to turn other subjects that is to say, other living beings, in to objects. Again, this attempt is necessary for it to have any rational notion of how to act in relation to them. However, understanding subjects as if they were objects leads to false conclusions. For example, we could look at the fact that many blacks in America are socially dysfunctional, and reach the false conclusion "Black people are socially dysfunctional, inherently." The reason we are led in to this falsity is because we are attempting to understand subjects as objects. It is a necessary tool of cognitive economics, but we should always be aware of it and keep it in line. It's just one of the unfortunate limits of human reason.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 02-12-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
Please stay on topic. If you want to discuss moderation decisions you need to PM me. Folks remember that you can argue all you want until it gets personal, then I'll have to step in. There will be no edits, no handling with kid gloves. You know better. It stops now.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 02-12-2009

United States rendamr
BF Member
 rendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightened

I am using the defintion of discrimination. You grouping eye color into a category belonging to ugly is oddly enough, discrimination. I would go on, but you are discriminating my view points, and glossing over them after you discrimate against them. Leave my words in their context where they belong. Do not extrapolate them into some absurd position to justify your earlier statements.

I was not directly talking about learning either. I was more so talking about the pre-frontal cortex becoming fully developed, as well as the synapses coming to the optimal point of function. Considering that my post also implies the fact that kids do not have the rationality of adults (they have problems with conservation of mass as well as other fundamental problems in thinking that impair their judgement).

I honestly can not see your picture that you have there, but I bet it is 4chan worthy.

Ben: I see your philosophy classes are paying off An interesting read, especially when I started swapping out words for self-concept, and schemas.

Israel is in the right.

pm.gif