Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-19-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...
Default The Psychological Basis for Racism

So right now I'm watching a show on Martin Luther King, Jr. on the History channel and they started out showing different images of segregation, share-cropping, the Ku Klux Klan, Rosa Parks being arrested, etc. Now, it's not like this is the first time I've seen any of this, but a thought popped into my head:

why? Why the hatred? Why the prejudice? Why the need for segregation?

What causes people from one racial group to hate another racial group? Is it just a part of the monkey brain that automatically kicks in when they encounter someone who looks different? Is it a social thing (we hate blacks because our ancestors hated blacks)?

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-19-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Could be a combination. On one hand it could be a learned behavior from parents or social upbringing. For example many Russians don't like Jews, they feel them to be tricksters always looking for money, and this is true in a lot of Eastern European countries too. I have a lot of Jewish friends and my wife and her friends had never really been around a Jew before, but had hung out with them just not knowing. The subject never came up until something about pork I think, and I was like "oh he doesn't eat pork hes Jewish." My wifes friend was like "He's Jewish?!?!"

Now keep in mind this girls an atheist Russian and had never been around Jews apparently, so all of her biases were learned. She had never been personally wronged by a Jew, but was just going off what she learned from others. She was surprised because she thought Jews only hang out with other Jews and keep to themselves like Gypsies or something, I dunno. Anyways I explained that its normal in America for different groups to interact with one another.

But then you have other cases where people have been personally wronged by members of a certain group and feel like exacting their revenge. What compounds this racism is when stereotypes often become true. For example "lazy black woman," "greedy Jewish man," "violent Muslims." To them it only confirms their biases and prejudices when they see more evidence to justify thier views. Like DaveTheRave for example he hates all Arabs and Muslims and advocates genocide and extermination of hundreds of millions of people. Why you ask? Because one Muslim friend he had as a kid disliked him once he found out he was Jewish. Thats how it started, and now you have a Jewish Hitler all because of one incident.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

United States rendamr
BF Member
 rendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightenedrendamr has become enlightened

1) To put the other group down
2) To make your own group feel better, and build up an inflated self-esteem, and self-concept.

Israel is in the right.

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Generally, for most flavors of racism, there are specific reasons for the said beliefs.

Antisemitism is particularly interesting. Back in the day, The Vatican branded usury, the charging of interest on loaned monies, a sin. The Jewish Rabbinical doctrine, however, had no such prohibition, thus, they were the money lenders. Now, suppose you are a member of the landed gentry, and baron or some other such ruler of a small fiefdom. What would be easier: pay the interest, or claim you were 'tricked' by evil jews and persecute them?

As for racism against blacks, imagine you are a southern landowner, and you've just been told by the government that just won the civil war that all slaves must be freed and treated as free men. That affects your way of life. The anger over the change naturally became focused upon the freed slaves themselves.

Over time these reasons become lost, but the tradition of hatred is still there along with all the irrational beliefs such intense feelings cause.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Because one Muslim friend he had as a kid disliked him once he found out he was Jewish. Thats how it started, and now you have a Jewish Hitler all because of one incident.
Hawaiian, please stop putting "twists" to the things I say. This is something I chose to say, because I wanted to prove a point that the muslim kid started it. Second of all, that is not how I bred hatred towards them. I bred hatred by hearing stories of how people I knew have gotten killed by those fuckers.

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  

Old 01-19-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
Hawaiian, please stop putting "twists" to the things I say. This is something I chose to say, because I wanted to prove a point that the muslim kid started it. Second of all, that is not how I bred hatred towards them. I bred hatred by hearing stories of how people I knew have gotten killed by those fuckers.
Yes, because all Muslims are terrorists. Right?

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-19-2009

United States Megan
BF Member
 Megan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supreme

I believe racism exists because of the lack of knowledge and understanding of other races thus creating fear of the unknown.

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Yes, because all Muslims are terrorists. Right?
No, but Islam is an evil religion which breeds a disproportionate amount of hatred and barbarism.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Is Christianity or Judaism an "evil religion?" Why or why not?

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Any other religion which depicts murder as an act for pleasing G-d is not evil. islam is evil. Judaism and Christianity are not. Catholicism is not.

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  

Old 01-19-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Is Christianity or Judaism an "evil religion?" Why or why not?
No, or at least not to the same extent.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Anyone ever heard of how the loudest and most frequent screamers get the most attention? Thats sort of whats going on with the whole terrorist thing. The few extremists are managing to get the bulk of the attention and skew the perception of the larger picture.

As for the psychological basis of racism, it is a deep seated instinct that everyone one has. Its an instinctual fear of the unknown or something different from ourselves. If anyone claims they aren't at least somewhat racist then they are lying through their teeth.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

United States Megan
BF Member
 Megan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supremeMegan reigns supreme

Off topic but the difference between Christianity and Islam, educate yourself. Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet and did not sin though they do not believe he was the Son of God or that he was crucified for our sins. Muslims do not believe that Jesus rose from the grave. Muslims believe that the Old and New Testament were from God but the Qur'an replaced the Holy Bible. If Muslims recognize The Old and New Testament as being from God then why does what the Qur'an states totally contradict what the Holy Bible says and what Christians believe? I don't know how in depth any of you have studied Islam but here is some information.

http://www.gospelway.com/religiousgroups/islam.php

Last edited by Megan; 01-19-2009 at 07:31 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

Canada izzy
BF Member
 izzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too longizzy has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
Any other religion which depicts murder as an act for pleasing G-d is not evil. islam is evil. Judaism and Christianity are not. Catholicism is not.
The fact you think that Islam is evil is quite interesting. Why are they evil? Because of the terrorist attacks? So you judge an entire group of people based on the worst of the group?

So following that logic, all Asian people are evil because of what happened at V-Tech. All white people are evil because of what happened at Columbine. All Americans are evil because of the sniper attacks 5 or 6 years ago on the East coast.

Also, you can not say you follow Christianity or Catholicism and hate an entire religion. Go read the bible, specifically the New Testament. Jesus would be very upset that you are singling out Islam as evil. Love thy neighbor? That doesn't sound familiar at all.

izzy has 470 Posts

They call me Oznob

Anything above this line was not meant to come out the way it did, izzy just isn't in a proper state of mind.

pm.gif   

Old 01-19-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0teLVi0LeT View Post
No, but Islam is an evil religion which breeds a disproportionate amount of hatred and barbarism.
There a plenty of Muslims throughout the world who seek only to raise their children and lead a decent life. The Dhalai Llama commanded a brutal regime in Tibet before his exile, does that mean Bhuddism is evil? Cardinal Ximenes of Spain was a Grand Inquisitor, and part of a Christian movement that slaughtered tens of thousands. Moses and Abraham were vicious military leaders.

Islam is going through exactly what Christianity went through 14 centuries after its inception: A dark age. Except they have guns, dirty bombs, and a globally aware world as a backdrop, rather than medieval Europe.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif