Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-12-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Because we in fact do have a central government, and the electoral college does nothing to prevent that. I believe autonomy goes in this order:

People >> Local Government >> States >> Federal Government

The average person sees it the exact opposite. Your position is a mixture, where state supercedes the people and the local communities and the federal government.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Because we in fact do have a central government, and the electoral college does nothing to prevent that.
The Electoral College is one of the few bastions that preserves what was once a proper state system. The fact that our government has grown in scope and power should not cause us to abandon the entire concept.

Quote:
I believe autonomy goes in this order:

People >> Local Government >> States >> Federal Government

The average person sees it the exact opposite. Your position is a mixture, where state supercedes the people and the local communities and the federal government.
I fail to see how the electoral college does anything to negate your hierarchy. It's one of the few cornerstones left that retains the division between state and federal levels.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey
The Electoral College is one of the few bastions that preserves what was once a proper state system. The fact that our government has grown in scope and power should not cause us to abandon the entire concept.
I disagree, I believe it has done absolutely nothing to preserve states rights. Instead of preserving states rights at the expense of the federal government, it has done so at the expense of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey
I fail to see how the electoral college does anything to negate your hierarchy. It's one of the few cornerstones left that retains the division between state and federal levels.
Negative. The electoral college takes power from the people to elect the president and puts them in the hands of state representatives. I think state power should come at the expense of the federal government, not the people.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
I disagree, I believe it has done absolutely nothing to preserve states rights. Instead of preserving states rights at the expense of the federal government, it has done so at the expense of the people.
I fail to see how. Popular vote prevails at the state level. Popular vote is the truest form of democracy, a system of government that fails, rightfully so, at a federal level.

Quote:
Negative. The electoral college takes power from the people to elect the president and puts them in the hands of state representatives.
Would your opinion of the Electoral College change if electors were constitutionally bound to vote for the winner of each respective state election? Some states have already provided this protection. I'm not suggesting this as a solution, but more specifically wondering if this is the source of your disagreement.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

I don't agree with the system in general, especially the "winner take all" states. I believe it only encourages political pandering and makes unimportant states and regions artifically important. I believe the president represents the United States as a whole, not each individual state. The president is more a man of the people and should serve the people as a whole, not the state governments.

A direct popular vote would be superior because it's more democratic, and gives power to the people instead of states. This falls in line with my belief that individual rights trump states rights. The electoral college creates an unnecessary middle-man.

When I say I favor de-centralization I'm talking about states rights to govern themselves as opposed to legislating from Washington. I'm not however, talking about states rights to take power from the people and put it in their own hands (which is only slightly better than the federal government). I don't support those states "rights."

If the states power comes at the expense of the federal government I support it. When it comes at the expense of the individual or the people I do not.

pm.gif