Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-11-2009

Vietnam Sulik
Kingdom of sky
 Sulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question about US presidential election

I'm not American, so I want to ask you guys something about the US presidential election as follow:

- On the day of electors voting president, are they actually go and vote for the president? (Obama & John McCain).

- Can there is any chance (even the slightest) that the result of the elector election (in Nov 4th 2008) different from that of the elector' presidential election (in Dec 15th, 2008)?

- If the actual result of US presidential election is in Dec 15th, why other nation's governments congratulate Obama in Nov 4th(right after the elector election)?

Thx you!

Edit: can mod edit this thread name to "some questions..." something? Sorry for my mistake!

Last edited by Sulik; 01-11-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Sulik has 538 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Sulik 

Old 01-11-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Cnl.Fatso
t3h ub3r gr4ph1cs 4rt1st
 Cnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond repute

NOTE: Canadian, so might be wrong on some specifics.

1) In a word, yes.

2) Here's where my difficulties arise. I presume you mean the electoral college vote when you name December 15th, so in that case I can say yes, it is possible for the electoral college to decide that the public does not know what it's doing and cross the floor.

3) I would suppose this is a matter of convention.

Cnl.Fatso has 153 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-11-2009

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

Umm I don't know if I got exsactly what you ment but I'll try to anwser best Cnl got it ok.

1) Technically they are and arn't voting for him. What they are really voting for is there electoral votes to go towards a candadate. And if a majority in a state votes for there electoral votes to one candadate then all of that state's votes go towards that candadate. So to anwser your other question in one yes it is possible to lose the popular vote and win the election and it has happened (President Bush 1st election). Because smaller states with less votes could more overwhelmingly go for one candadate while bigger ones that are split close still give all the electorals to one person but are still split close in actual people's votes.

3) Because By then he has already been found to have won the election it isn't officially announced untill everything is counted correctly. And that could take a while just to get things right but often times you can see the winner of the election mid way through voting. So ya.

I hope that wasn't too confusing if you need me to explain differently if anyone thinks I worded something wrong or something tell me so I can edit lol.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 

Old 01-11-2009

Vietnam Sulik
Kingdom of sky
 Sulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMan
Because By then he has already been found to have won the election it isn't officially announced untill everything is counted correctly.
Not really, since the president is not voted in the first election (in Nov 4th), it's the election of electors! So basically in this 2008 presidential election, in Nov 5th Obama was congratulated since the electors who won promised to vote for Obama. Which mean in Dec 15th the electors may go wild and vote McCain instead. It didn't happen, but it could have happenned. It's not about if the votes are counted correctly or not.

Sulik has 538 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Sulik 

Old 01-11-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

There are 26 states whose electors are required by law to vote for the victor of their party. This leaves 24 that "could" vote for another candidate. Regardless, this is how a representative government works.

The people that complain about the electoral college are ignorant. And I don't mean that as an insult, I mean it as a statement of fact.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Some people understand how the system works, they just don't agree with it.

Disapproval ≠ ignorance.

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
Some people understand how the system works, they just don't agree with it.

Disapproval ≠ ignorance.
Some people also believe in a strong central government which is directly contrary to the intent of the founding fathers. Are these the people of which you speak?

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
The people that complain about the electoral college are ignorant. And I don't mean that as an insult, I mean it as a statement of fact.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey
Some people also believe in a strong central government which is directly contrary to the intent of the founding fathers. Are these the people of which you speak?
No.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
False.
Incorrect.

Quote:
No.
Yes.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

So now you are telling me who I'm referring to, or what I support. Ok, I can play that game too.

You are stupid, I'm not saying this as an insult, but as a statement of fact. And no, I don't feel compelled to support this statement.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

Quote:
So now you are telling me who I'm referring to, or what I support. Ok, I can play that game too.
You have already demonstrated your ignorance of states rights in previous threads. I don't see why you would care to make a fool of yourself again.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

But you have defined "ignorance" as "anyone who disagrees with me." So yeah, I still disagree with you if thats your question.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

Quote:
But you have defined "ignorance" as "anyone who disagrees with me." So yeah, I still disagree with you if thats your question.
So do you believe in a strong central government or a weak one?

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

Weak of course, you should know that by now.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Weak of course, you should know that by now.
Then why would you support a centralized voting system? I am left to assume that you do since you obviously do not support the electoral college.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif