Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-10-2009

United States ADX
SC Addict
 ADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightenedADX has become enlightened
Default Child called it?

I was reading recently about a book called A child called "it". In it there are several descriptions of child abuse and tells of one mans struggle for survival. The question i have for the members of blilzzforums is should this type of book be allowed to be read in public schools. It is now on some schools required reading list and if i knew that a ten year old was going to have to read the graphic content contained within i would not want that child to read that book. Also some have questioned the authenticity of the account at hand and therefore i would not want my child to read something that was supposed truth when it could have been exaggerated. Also it has been noted that when this author talks at public venues he can be very aggresive. so the question is should a book like this be mandatory reading?

ADX has 1,945 Posts

ADX-09/13/07
Learning to master the unknown...
SC NAME : Starkiller721 -- rezzed

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Rofl, I read that book in 3rd grade and nearly got suspended by the teacher or some shit. Like... I was supposed to get permission from my parents to do a book report on it or something but I ignored the teacher and just went ahead and read it by myself. Little old hag got all upset and made a big fuss over it.

I think this belongs in GD btw.

Offtopic: ADX, did you develop a workout program for yourself yet and stick to it? I'm not sure if it was you, but maybe it was... someone really wanted to change their social life around or something and needed to lose weight or something. If it wasn't you, I'm sorry for the misidentification bro.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

I read that book. It was read during class in HS. It is sad in some parts

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  

Old 01-10-2009

United States the.raven
BF Member
 the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!the.raven is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

why not?

the.raven has 1,016 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Israel InfestedRaynor
BF Member
 InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!InfestedRaynor is unstoppable!

Wowee...I can believe maybe some of the stuff occurred to him...but no way all of it.

InfestedRaynor has 12 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

All literature should be available to all, regardless of any status (such as age).

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 01-10-2009

United States Blackspynx
Lost in eternal slumber
 Blackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of winBlackspynx is made of win

I read it awhile back and it didn't disturb me. Perhaps he exaggerated, perhaps he didn't. What I took from the story isn't that he's a great man for having overcome the abuse of his mother, rather that it is possible to be a normal, functional, and successful member of society after recovering from things like that. He isn't wallowing in the terrible childhood he experienced, he's utilizing it and being productive.

The book shouldn't be banned, but parents should be informed of the content and the decision put in their hands. It's an intense book for a ten year-old, that is all.

Blackspynx has 513 Posts

“It is respectable to have no illusions – and safe – and profitable – and dull.”
- J. Conrad

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Blackspynx Send a message via Yahoo to Blackspynx 

Old 01-10-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Didn't DemolitionSquid write that book?

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 01-10-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

If you don't like it, send your kid to private school.

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Didn't DemolitionSquid write that book?
My mommy loved me. So no.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 01-11-2009

Antarctica Zura
世界の王
 Zura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of winZura is made of win

Kids are exposed to the bible, which is much more graphic, violent and just dumb and usually served with indoctrination at younger ages than 10, so this book being read by 10 year old kids doesn't really bother me at all.

They'll probably read it, think about it for a second, then forget about it. Much better than being forced to go to church every Sunday and make the book part of your life.

It is also of my opinion that 10 year olds usually aren't that susceptible to violence and what not in books, movies, video games, etc. At least it didn't do anything bad to me when I was 10. Sheltering a child is even worse than not exposing them to reality or at least the truths of reality.

Zura has 3,971 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Zura Send a message via MSN to Zura  

Old 01-11-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Education is never improper at any age. If a child can comprehend the subject matter and is taught the proper lesson, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

As for the Op's comments; complete rubbish. Regardless of fact or fiction, if the book is serving as a precautionary tale, then let it be read. A story need not be true for it to have a positive impact. And what does it matter if the author is aggressive? Perhaps he's trying to shock people into reality. Stop pissing your pants every time someone gets passionate about something.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-11-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
Stop pissing your pants every time someone gets passionate about something.
Well said... very well said...

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
Education is never improper at any age. If a child can comprehend the subject matter and is taught the proper lesson, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

As for the Op's comments; complete rubbish. Regardless of fact or fiction, if the book is serving as a precautionary tale, then let it be read. A story need not be true for it to have a positive impact. And what does it matter if the author is aggressive? Perhaps he's trying to shock people into reality. Stop pissing your pants every time someone gets passionate about something.
So are you opposed to CNN showing images of dead soldiers returning from Afghanistan or Iraq? Or dead bodies in general?

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
So are you opposed to CNN showing images of dead soldiers returning from Afghanistan or Iraq? Or dead bodies in general?
Is there an educational benefit? I don't see one.

I think it would be far more beneficial to describe and perhaps even show footage of soldiers dying in battle. This is educational, even if it is perhaps distasteful. Showing bodies returning from overseas serves no purpose aside from shock value.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif