Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-09-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

I don't value human life or even consider it to be a human being until the glob of cells turns into a fetus. I don't see any problems with harvesting large amounts of embryos in order to extract stem cells for medical purposes. I'd rather find cures to diseases and conditions that living, breathing, conscious suffering human beings to be of infinitely more worth than embryos and little clumps of cells.

If it wasn't for this stem cell issue, abortion or homosexual rights, I wouldn't have the slightest problems with Christianity.

Edit: To be honest, I don't value human beings that much to begin with as a whole. I value them as individuals based upon many factors. But as a general rule of thumb, I see the human race on this planet as the equivalent of a viral infestation.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelViolet
But as a general rule of thumb, I see the human race on this planet as the equivalent of a viral infestation.
Actually, we're amongst evolution's greatest macroorganism accomplishments. No other organism is capable of controlling it's environment quite like us, and the only thing more numerous are bacteria.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-09-2009

Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Yes, of course. I'm just saying that we aren't using ourselves at our fullest potential. I'd say a couple billion people on this planet are pretty useless or backwards in their thinking.

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

United States Ass Kicker
Joshua Jew
 Ass Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0teLVi0LeT View Post
Yes, of course. I'm just saying that we aren't using ourselves at our fullest potential. I'd say a couple billion people on this planet are pretty useless or backwards in their thinking.
It's not possible to reach 100% efficiency. Also most human potential is wasted on things like subsistence farming. Imagine all the raw potential wasted over the past several thousand years of everyone just plowing a field all day. Einstein had an IQ of 200. Issac Newton and Steven Hawking similar range. Probability wise, there have been thousands, if not millions, with similar IQs. I bet you right now there is a man with an IQ of 250 working in a rice paddy somewhere in China right now.

Ass Kicker has 3,320 Posts

Welcome to hell newbs your souls are mine!!!!

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

Immune to Bans

Yes but even in societies which aren't dependant on subsistence farming, plenty of people are fucking useless. I mean shit... look at all the fat kids we have playing video games in our elementary schools.

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

Immune to Bans

Gotta fucking send them off to a mandatory workout program or something.

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

United States Reflection
Before I Pine Away...
 Reflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0teLVi0LeT View Post
Is it crazy to think your the only sane person left? The level of arrogance in your statement is staggering. As for your comments about children, it is true that a lot of kids these days are overweight. Does that mean your right in your roid rage? I think not. If you are, and billions are useless, chances are your one of them.

Last edited by Reflection; 01-10-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Reflection has 220 Posts

I have come curiously close to the end, though
Beneath my self indulgent pitiful hole. Defeated I
Concede and move closer. I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness. How pitiful.
It's calling me...

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Please stop using the Matrix as your source for human understanding HV.

As for embryonic stem cells the thing about it is that there is no other source that offers an equally versatile cell. Embryonic stem cells taken from a blastocyst are, bar none, as blank a slate as any cell can be. New procedures can avoid an embryo's death, but it is still a considerable risk and no better than 50/50 on a very good day. Alternative "stem" cells range from adult skin tissue, to the lining of your cheek, to residual stem cells in your blood, bone marrow deposits, and basically anywhere you can think of has probably been considered at least once. What makes an embryonic stem cell so unique though is that it has a unique condition where it is as close to immortal as any cell gets and could, theoretically, continue to divide forever given proper chemical retardants that didn't destroy the cell first. Unfortunately that is impossible since the cells will only continue dividing under an exact set of conditions.

As a result of those very exact conditions it makes things difficult to create another type of cell. This is where stem cells of a different flavor come in. Find one that is only partially differentiated, say a glial cell from the brain, and you can coax it into completely differentiating into another type. Given a few years we could probably take a partially differentiated cell like that and split it off into something closely related, brain cells into spinal cord cells for example. What a leap that would be! Imagine parapelegics walking again, alzheimers being cured from from cells within the patients own brain, or defective heart valves being repaired with arterial tissue!

Stem cell research offers more potential than any other medical research i've heard of and it is a true waste to see it being impeded as much and as vehemently as it is. I share some of the concerns that others do about what is ethical and what is not, but considering that hundreds of thousands of "waste" or "reproductively non-viable" embryos are simply tossed out each year by fertility clinics I feel that those would serve no better purpose and after all they were deemed as "waste." If anything it fits the new go green fad sweeping people by storm. More money is spent storing, sustaining, and maintaining the facilities needed for these embryos that will never see any sort of use. There are literally warehouses full of dozens thousands of embryos sitting around doing nothing with a mall cop to guard them. Religious nay sayers are loud and frequent opposers of stem cell research because of their view towards an embryo being a person from the moment of conception. Pesonally I find it to be a a load of nonsense until about three weeks in and you can somewhat make out a human form. Until then its a bundle of cells.

I would like nothing more than to see all bans on embryonic stem cell reserach lifted in their entirety and allow research corportaions to actively purchase or otherwise procure, in a legal manner, stem cells of any source of their choosing. If it comes to organizations running ads offering to pay women for their embryos or going to a fertility clinic to purschase a dozen then I completely support that. Ignorance is the most harmful thing to this field of research and a vast majority of people who hear about it think, "Oh, thats the embryo killing research" or something along those lines which gets reflected in the legislation and then impedes most of the progress.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

United States Hydragoon
BF Member
 Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!

Thanks for your good responses so far, guys! Remember, try not to make them too inflammatory. Even if humanity is inefficient and most of us are ignorant wastes of space... stupid people have feelings too.

So what you're all saying is, so far, there hasn't been much success with stem cells actually helping? Like it's all still potential, there isn't any past success of healing or reversing chronic disease? If that's true, shoot. I sure hope they figure this out soon. I've only got 40 years before I'll start needing a cure for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. At least, I hope it's still 40.

Hydragoon

The Hydralisk says: grrhhhaaa.

The Dragoon says: I have returned.

The Hydragoon says: I have grrhhhaaa...

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Oh no, there have been plenty of successful projects but they are mainly in the area of figuring out exactly what a stem cell is and how it works and how we can harness it for an application. Actual applications of this knowledge are, for the large part, still in experimental stages. There is one project I'm rather interested in that is working on Alzheimer's with some some promising results so far. Something like 33% of those who receive the stem cell treatment are showing notable signs of improvement.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 01-10-2009

Immune to Bans

I agree with Viperjo completely except for that first flame bait against me. Too many religious and ethical wackos retarding the progression of science. If I was in charge, the human race would progress in science at 3 times the rate it is currently progressing at.

pm.gif   

Old 01-11-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Not that there is any rational basis for believing a human becomes a human when it looks like a baby. It's the same organism that it was before.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 01-11-2009

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God

For me the rationale is that it resembles what a human is or should become, therefore it is more difficult to justify snuffing it out. Arbitrary I know, but once that human resemblance is recognizable it makes all the difference in my mind. If the exact moment that consciousness is achieved or the brain has consistent activity that indicates a living being then I would say until that point it is completely ethical.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-11-2009

Immune to Bans

Ben's a religious goon, I suggest we start snuffing out the religious goons before disposing of embryos.

pm.gif   

Old 01-11-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

So what you're saying is that by your own admission your standard is completely fucking irrational, having no basis in reason whatsoever but we have to shut up the "religious goons" who recognize the universally admitted fact that the fetus is not a new or different organism from what it was before?

Right. Stop talking.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley