Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-05-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

I like this Russian guy. He's crazy, cause the US won't be chopped up anything like that when it falls, but I like him none the less.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 01-05-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Chaos I agree that Pravda spouts a lot of bullshit but sometimes they are more accurate than our media. Like the Russian-Georgia conflict for instance, if you only watched the European or American media you would see headlines like Threat of Russian Bear? Or "Red Invasion?"

However, it's clear that Sakashvili started this conflict with Russia, and the US had no small part in it, and may even have given them the green-light to go ahead not thinking Russia would respond the way they did. Imagine if Georgia had been a NATO member like a lot of the foreign policy "experts" (madmen) wanted, we'd be at fucking WW3 right now over Georgia. Does the United States really have anything to gain from a nuclear war with Russia? Think about it.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

No, youre too dense to apply the same standards to Russia as you are to the United States. If Georgia was part of NATO, the Russians wouldn't dare make a move. The question would then be whether or not Russia wants to start WW3. Wouldn't apply to the US. The answer is no.

In fact, if Georgia was part of NATO, Georgia itsself would probably think twice about last fall's artillery barrage, despite the fact that the area isn't Russian soveriegn territory.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

That is a joke. If Georgia invades South Ossetia and starts massacering Russians (exactly what they did) of course Russia is going to respond. I am looking at this objectively, and no, there are no double standards here. If Russia encouraged and financed the Cuban government to invade Puerto Rico I would rightly hold Russia and Cuba responsible for the conflict.

You are the one making double standards, it's just that your nationalism blinds you to see things with an open mind. Imagine for example if China invaded Taiwan, which is recognized merely as a territory of China. You can play these wordgames about South Ossetia being "Georgian territory" all you want, so long as you apply them consistently. Is Taiwan "Chinese territory"? Because acccording to the communist government of China yes it is. The UN does not recognize Taiwan as a country and neither does the United States. So again, if China invaded Taiwan would this be acceptable? What about Cuba invading Puerto Rico? Please open your mind and stop thinking with such a narrow view.

Are you honestly that crazy to believe Russia would not defend it's citizens from an invasion by a neighbor country?

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
That is a joke. If Georgia invades South Ossetia and starts massacering Russians (exactly what they did) of course Russia is going to respond. I am looking at this objectively, and no, there are no double standards here. If Russia encouraged and financed the Cuban government to invade Puerto Rico I would rightly hold Russia and Cuba responsible for the conflict.

Puerto Rico is US TERRITORY. South Ossetia is not Russian territory, it only people who have Russian citizenship residing there. It would not be an act of war against Russia if Georgia began to engage. Just because many people in San Diego have Mexican citizenship, if we decided to roll in tanks and bomb the fuck out of San Diego because of a hypothetical drug cartel seperatist group there doesn't give mexico the ok to engage us.

Quote:
You are the one making double standards, it's just that your nationalism blinds you to see things with an open mind.
Rubish

Quote:
Imagine for example if China invaded Taiwan, which is recognized merely as a territory of China. You can play these wordgames about South Ossetia being "Georgian territory" all you want, so long as you apply them consistently.
South Ossetia is Georgian territory. Taiwan is not (at least not from our perspective).

Quote:
Is Taiwan "Chinese territory"? Because acccording to the communist government of China yes it is. The UN does not recognize Taiwan as a country and neither does the United States. So again, if China invaded Taiwan would this be acceptable?
No it would not, but then you'd have to ask China whether its willing to risk WW3.

Quote:
What about Cuba invading Puerto Rico? Please open your mind and stop thinking with such a narrow view.
Puerto Rico is US territory.

Quote:
Are you honestly that crazy to believe Russia would not defend it's citizens from an invasion by a neighbor country?
An invasion of its own land? Rofl.

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

You've just contradicted yourself. Taiwan is Chinese territory, and thus would constitute an "invasion of it's own land." Obviously you are holding double standards.

If you refuse to admit this blatantly obvious fact then the discussion cannot continue.

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

Immune to Bans

No, you see Taiwan is not Chinese territory. Not according to us officially in any case.

btw, Russia should join NATO.

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...esolution_2758

Taiwan does not exist as a country, much like South Ossetia. However, we both know that Taiwan is independent just like South Ossetia. At this point you're just playing wordgames.

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

When the Olympic council recognises South Ossetia as independent I might consider it, but not before. Also, the PRC-Taiwan thing is more like Russia-Georgia than Georgia-SO, since Taiwan was the last holdout of the KMT, and thus has never been a part of the PRC.

Regardless, this is getting off topic (perhaps deliberately Hawaiian?), the issue at hand is the probability, or lack thereof, of the disintegration of the United States of America, particularly into the mentioned portions. Personally, I think it's unlikely, as do many others, but there it is.

pm.gif   

Old 01-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLL
When the Olympic council recognises South Ossetia as independent I might consider it, but not before. Also, the PRC-Taiwan thing is more like Russia-Georgia than Georgia-SO, since Taiwan was the last holdout of the KMT, and thus has never been a part of the PRC.
You are just grasping at straws now. The olympics? LMFAO. What we are talking about here is you making excuses for Georgia that you do not apply to the exact same situation in Taiwan. South Ossetia is "Georgian" territory just as much as Taiwan is Chinese territory. The country has been defacto independent for over a decade and Russian peacekeepers have been there for just as long. Why can't you admit that you are simply applying double standards to protect your worldview and avoid cognitive dissonance?

Saddam considered Kuwait to be an Iraqi province, why wasn't it ok for Saddam to invade greater Iraq? Or what about the Argentine claim to the Falkland Islands? Pakistans claim to Kashmir? Until you can identify a good reason why South Ossetia should be considered independent and not these other disputed territories with de facto independence, without resorting to ad hoc explanations like "they have an olympic team," I'm gonna hve to assume you admit that you are holding double standards. Good day sir!

pm.gif   

Old 01-06-2009

Immune to Bans

Even if we were applying double standards, who cares? Our double standards work in our favor. End of story.

pm.gif   

Old 01-06-2009

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Heh, wow. This Russian professor was obviously playing Shattered Union a bit to much, got drunk, and then wrote up that article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_Union

Seriously, Russia grabbing Alaska, the Northeast joining the EU, freaking Texas falling under Mexican influence? Plus, who in the Hell would get all the nukes? Thousands and thousands of nuclear warheads just getting passed to Canada, China, Mexico, etc. Yeah, sure... Man, I have not had such a good laugh in a while.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 01-06-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

If the US does split up, I could see us breaking apart into smaller but autonomous nation-states. California itself is large enough to form it's own nation with a decent economy, and would probably join with western Oregon and Washington. The Great Lake states would probably also form a union. IDK about the rest of the states.

And I really don't see how the Southerners would take kindly to being owned by Mexico.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0teLVi0LeT View Post
Even if we were applying double standards, who cares? Our double standards work in our favor. End of story.
How does WW3 work in our favor?

pm.gif   

Old 01-06-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

DE needs to cut the bullshit again Taiwan is not internationally recognized as an independent country, South Ossetia is internationally recognized as Georgian territory. Under international law the Russian soldiers there are an illegal occupying army.

Of course DE is from the Pat Buchanan school of thought, where Eastern Europe and the Caucasus are Russia's to do with as she pleases, regardless of what the people, you know, actually living there want.

It's a double standard, all right. When the United States enters into settlements with other nations freely agreed upon by both sides, it's time to blow your stack at how wrong it is. When a nation like Russia brutalizes places like Chechnya and Georgia, it's okay because that's "Russia's backyard."

DE is an apologist for any anti-American government, group, or cause. That almost all of them engage in the things he condemns America for allegedly engaging in (which, almost all the time, are lies or stupidity in "argument" form) is irrelevant. DE does not adhere to any principle save anti-Americanism. If Russia invaded the Ukraine or China invaded Taiwan tomorrow DE would find several highly stupid reasons why they were right, but America saved a country (Saudi Arabia) from being invaded by a lunatic asshole (Saddam Hussein) twenty years ago and this made another lunatic asshole (Osama bin Laden) angry because he's a racist lunatic asshole and to DE it's America's fault when the racist lunatic asshole starts massacring thousands of innocent people in dozens of countries around the globe.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif