Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 12-19-2008

Canada Drakain Zeil
erfolg durch qualität
 Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...
Default Davos: Environment

if you goto Youtube.com/davos you can see more info on the davos debates.

Essentially the world economic forum are gathering and asking youtube users to submit their videos, and none of them have really hit me as "wow that was tought provoking" or "yeah, you gave that a lot of thought, now go back to your bong, hippy."

Anyway, the environment question is

Will the environment lose out to the economy in 2009?

So, go ahead and post some responses. I'm making a thread for their other questions. I feel these would be a good set of debates for SD.

Drakain Zeil has 11,867 Posts

Faster than lightning
and high as a kite
Hidden Content:

pm.gif   

Old 12-19-2008

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Of course it will, the environment will always lose to pressing human needs. Billions of people would have to die in order for the environment to be considered a "top issue" to most people.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 12-24-2008

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Of course it will, the environment will always lose to pressing human needs. Billions of people would have to die in order for the environment to be considered a "top issue" to most people.
Which is a real damn shame, because we're the first organisms in Earth history that have the mental capacity to prevent our own demise, and we might squander the chance to avoid extinction due to selfish opportunism. Of course, that's the far, extreme, "a Texas-sized asteroid is going to hit us in 10 hours while Yellowstone erupts", worst scenario. And there are some things that we can't really do shit about (like Yellowstone erupting).

But long-term catastrophic changes like global warming can be slowed down or even halted through simple changes that, while smart in the long run, have no short term profit. Little things like switching to CFL or LED lighting instead of incandescent bulbs. Working on alternative fuels and energy sources. Driving less and walking more. I'm not saying this as a fucking "the Earth is alive!" hippie. I'm saying this as a "this planet is the only place in the Universe we humans can live and we're treating it like utter shit" rationalist.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT