Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 08-20-2008

United States Bytales
BF Member
 Bytales is on a distinguished road
Default My Hopes For Diablo 3 - Plz Read Blizzard Staff

I Have made a list with all the things i would like DIABLO 3 to have:
I will write here all the items in the list, and then I will try to give a detailed explanation on why I think it should be done. I will list the pros and cons for every item.
The things I listed here are with mostly with Single Player game in mind, but can be adapted for Multiplayer as well in many of the cases with slight exceptions where i pointed that out !

1) Capless level system.
2) Bestiary System
3) More Detailed Character screen.
4) Physical damage split between 2 categories and 3 versions
5) Items bound by character and removal of the LAN exploit for single player gameplay
6) 3D items on the character must look like they are drawn on the 2d icon item
7) The use of 1000 separator

1)Capless level system. Short story: Iíd like the game to offer the player the ability to gain XP points beyond level 99.
a.HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.The XP level needed for level 100 should be double the XP we have when we reached lvl99. Therefore the XP requirement increases exponentialy after lvl 99 and levels afterwards are very hard to achieve but not impossible. Let me give an example. Say we achieve level 99 at 1 billion XP (1.000.000.000) Lvl 100 will be achieve at 2bill XP and lvl 101 at 4bill, and so on so forth.
ii.The theoretical level cap should be 150. With exponential system, lvl 150 will never be reached even if we play the game for the reminder of our lives, because we would need 2^51 Billions XP for lvl 150. Therefore practicaly it is capless !
iii.The game must be able to display the number 2^51 Billions XP which means exctly 2.251.799.813.685.248.000.000.000 XP points. This number can be written down like this: 2 septillion, 251 sextillion, 799 quintillion, 813 quadrillion, 685 trillion, 248 billion. This number is realy easy to display in the character screen believe it or not. Until we reach 1.000.000 XP the number is displayed normaly (Ex. 130.354 XP meaning one hundred thirty thousand, three hundred fifty-four XP points ). Once we reach 1.000.000 XP, the number beeing displayed transforms in number 1 followed by the ďMillionĒ Suffix, with 3 decimals (1.435MillionXP beeing an example meaning one million, four hundred thirty-five thousand). Once we reach 999.999Millions and exceed this number the Million suffix will be change with Billion and the process repeats itself. The system will use progressively the trillion quadrillion quintillion sextillion septillion suffix, until character reaches lvl 150. This way we will always display XP points using 6 numbers separate by a point (decimal separator) only until we reach the first million, and then separated by a comma after we pas the million Mark. If the player hovers the cursor over this shortcut number, the full number will be shown to him on window similar to the one appearing when an item is inspected
iv.I know having a character level of more than 100 will screw up lots of monster fights calculations and item creation calculation. Therefore a character with lvl greater than 99 should be considered having the lvl 99 in those calculations.
v.Upgrading your character pastlvl 99 brings less and less returns. You would get one skill point (or none if people complain that the game will be unbalacend by these feature which i highly doubt) and only 2 atribute points to spend. (just example) (allthough considering how hard it is to make lvls past 99 I donít think it will be really necessary)
vi.If the xp gained past lvl 99 is to act like a counter, perhaps it would be better if no rewards were to be givien for levels made past 99, and once you make level 99 you won't loose experience if you die anymore. I realy think that once you reach lvl 99 xp loss after a death should not occur any more because if u are a bigger level and you die, and can loose potentialy stressfull amounts of XP. Thus, the XP gained will not be a reliable counter. This should be done regardless of the fact that you receive or not skill points or atributtes for making levels past 99. In my opinion the best way to do it would be like this: once you reach lvl 99 you won't loose XP any more when you die, and for every lvl up you make after 99 only 2 atribute points are awarded instead of 5 and 1 skill point !
vii.If lvl 99 means more than 1 billion XP, as it is the case in Diablo 2, much higher suffixes than septillion may be required, like octillion, nonillion, decillion. Easy as pie to implement.
b.WHY I WANT THIS SYSTEM
i.The capeless level system is not made for the purpose of making a character lvl 150, but it is made for the purpose of recording every action that player makes. You would then be able to tell the difference between a player who reached level 99 and played only for a week after that and a player who reached level 99 and played for 5 years after that. (People still play diablo 2 right now)
ii.This way, if we love our character very much we could still play with it, even if it reaches lvl 99, and everything we kill get recorded in the form of XP, and we will not stumble upon the ďExperience for next level 0Ē system.
iii.If this system gets implemented, some one will probably enter in the Guiness Book of records for the man who has the biggest amount of XP in Diablo3
iv.With This system a log could be created recording each unique item at what XP it had been aquired, and at what XP value what a certain set has been completed. Because object were to b be made bind to character, (not all of them of course) this way each character must search for his own set, or unique items, and this log, toghether wit the capless lvl system tells us exactly how long did it take for a this player to complete a set. or how ealiry or late he found an item. When the player inspects a set equped the set will show among other things, set completed at 345,567 Millions XP (three hundred forty-five million, five hundred sixty-seven thousand,). Or when we inspect an unique item, among it;s listed atribbutes in the description windows, tha last thing being describes is: Obtained by "character name" 1.324.242.424 XP (Level 89). I think it would be a nice addition to the game !
v.Apart from beeing able to see exactly how a certain character has been played, the bestiary* and capless lvl system is more about giving the player the possibility to choose for himself when to stop playing that character rather than stop playing when the game tells him to. (see next level at 0 experience issue) It's this what i'm really after, because one of the best things i liked about Diablo 2 was the fact the monsters kept coming alive so you could play for as long as you wanted. The capless lvl system and the bestiary system TRULY give the diablo 3 player exactly what diablo 2 tryied to achieve but didn't quite make it, the ability to play as long as you want without the fear of playing for nothing (not recording your XP)
vi.The XP above lvl 99 should be seen as a counter recording how much monsters a player killed, reflecting the time spent in game, rather than a system in which the player must lvl up. That's why the rewards given at lvls above 99 shouldn't be mandatory ! It was my belief tha such rewards wouldn't unbalance the game in a noticeable manner, and would still give something, to the player. I think that only 2 atribbute points would be sufficient !
c.PROS AND CONS
i.Pros:
1.All of the above. This ideea, in my opinion, only has good parts, no bad parts, and is easy to implement.
2.This sytem will not player with level bigger than 99 be all that much different from lvl 99 players. Higher lvl players are just lvl 99 players with more XP
ii.Cons:
1.None that I can see, it wonít hinder the game in any way, you, the developer team , may choose to make it !

2)Bestiary
a.HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.For instance Loki has a bestiary system, in the main menu, which only lists the monsters encountered in game. That is a very primitive bestiary. The bestiary I imagine for Diablo 3 should be owned by a character, meaning it can be accesed once a character has been loaded .
ii.Once the player kills a certain monster, that monster appears listed in the bestiary with a kill count. The count shows the total monsters killed in normal difficulty, how many monster killed in nightmare difficulty (which will only appear only when the character killes that very same monster again in nightmare difficulty), and how many monsters of that type the character killed in hell difficulty. It must also show how many XP points each monster type in each difficulty yealded. The sum of all the XP in the bestiary for all difficulties must be equal to the total XP points the character has. This will be completely possible because of the capless level system. It must also show separetly how many of the said monster was killed in multyplayer separatly from single player kills because those monsters yeald more XP according to the total number of players playing in that multiplayer sesion.
iii.
Once the character reaches a certain kill number for a monster, important info about that monster should be listed in the bestiary (The more monsters you kill the more you learn about them). This kind of info includes: Hit points, mana points, resistances, imunities if any, spells type casts if any, atributes, level, defence, special features, what type of item may yield by kill, etcÖ All this info should be made into a list starting from the least important feature revealed to the most important feature revealed, and the most important feature revealed. The most important feature should be revealed once the character reaches a certain number of kills, that number being the biggest one, if the most important feature is to be revealed. Normal monsters should have (this is just an example) 3 basic features revealed, Nightmare monsters should have 5 and hell monsters (the ones you will make the most kills)should have the maximum numbers of features revealed (7). For those 3 basic features (hitpoints mana defence Ė again just an example) the character learns about normal monsters, the player should kill lets say 50, 100, 250 monsters (again this numbers are taken just for the sake of giving an example). For the 5 features revealed for monsters in nightmare difficulty the player must kill 50 100 250 500 1000, and for all the features to be reveald of a hell difficulty monster, the number of kill required shoud be 2500 5000 10000+ for the last most important feature.
iv.The bestiary should contain a nice artwork of that monster, and short hystory\story of how that monster came to be, like for instance those short stories about the skeletons and the goat man are written on the diablo 3 site.
v.The numbers of mosnters killed shoould be made the same way as the XP number just in case a certain type of monster kills gets very high.
b.WHY IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.The bestiary is a good tool to keep track of what types of monsters you have killed and how many. It can realy show if a level 107 character really killed so many monster that he made it to lvl 107
ii.The artwork and story for each monster will make the players more involved and immeresed in the diablo 3 universe. If this lore\short story will have a recorded voice (Like those explanations given in mass effect to some terms) of deckard cain (who else) readind those words (like in that nice flash book) I think it will be IDEAL.
iii.It is a tool through which the players learn the monster weaknesses, but with a cost. CON: You may say that it does not matter that much since all the monsters in the game are the same, once a player learns a certain monster weakness, he will post it on the internet. TRUE, Very True, but once you unlocked these learned features about that monster, THEY will appear above the monster health bar, thus giving in game, info for that monster. Info which can get very rich if we hit the right monster kill number. That bar that keeps getting smaller once we hit the monster may not appear at all once we reach a certain monster kill.
c.PROS & CONS
i.PROS:
1.All listed above, a must feature for a game like Diablo 3 in my humble opinion
ii.CONS:
1.The bestiary may mean a lot of work needs to be done, artwork of every monster, short story for every monster version (meaning different story and count for each monster version, example, Ghoul, Night Lord, Blood Lord) and speech for every description;
2.The bestiary XP per monster stack thing may need to be slightly tweaked for monsters killed in multiplayer battles, but nothing a good coder canít do.

3)More Detailed Character screen
a.HOW\WHAT SHOULD BE DONE
i.Fix the damage display system. In Diablo 2 the damage number thas is beeing displayed in the character screen changes in color depending on the damage type inflicted. But what if the player inflicts more than one type of damage. That number gives no further details. For instance now if a player makes 100-500 damage, it should be listed as the total damage. The player must know what this damage is made of. For instance 80-400 physical, 1-25 lightning, 16-28 fire and 3-47 cold damage. Then the average DPS should be calculated. For instance if the weapon makes that damage in 1.1 seconds, the average DPS would be ((100+500)/2)/1.1=272.72 dps. To this dps must be added the posion damage as the poison damage is a number over a period of time. For instance 80 poison damage over 4 seconds means 20 dps. These should be added to the 272.72 dps for a total of 292.72dps. The poison damage should be listed sperated from the 272.72 dps because of tha nature of the poison damage itself. If we need for instance to add 80 poison damage over 4 seconds with 20 poison damage over 5 seconds we would have a total of 100 poison damage over 5 seconds for a total of 20 dps poison damage. The total number of poison damage must be divide to the biggest number of seconds the damage is beeing made, 5 in this case to give an average dps. But this average dps really doesn say much, so what we need to display in the character screen is THE TOTAL POISON DAMAGE over the BIGGEST NUMBER OF SECONDS. The character screen must show like this:
Weapon Speed 1.1 Seconds
80-400 physical damage, MEAN physical DPS 218.18*()
1-25 lightning damage, MEAN lightning DPS 11.81
16-28 fire damage, Mean fire DPS 20
3-47 cold damage, Mean cold DPS 22.72; cold legth of* (see below)
Total damage: 100-500; Mean DPS 272.72
Total Poison Damage 100 over 5 seconds, Mean dps of 20 dps
GRAND TOTAL DPS 292.72 dps
I believe that if the character has items with different cold legths, a ponderate mean should be made to determine a common cold legth. Example: 22.72 dps with 3 seconds leght and 50 dps with 2 legth. Total dps is 72.72. The first 22.72 dps means 31.24% out of the total damage and 50 dps means 68.76%. (3*31.25+2*68.75)/100=2.3125 Seconds. This would be the total cold length aplied to all the cold damage inflicted. This length should be listed next to the cold damage.
ii.The character screen should list stuf like life and mana stolen per hit, critical strike chance, critical strike damage (We must know if the critical damage is only the physical part or if we also inflict more elemental damage too) chance of crushing blow, chance of bleeding wounds, and other stuf I probably canít remember now. When I hover the mouse over the chance of crushing blow value we are given an explanation of the fenomenon and an exact value of what is happening when crushing blow occurs (example, lowering max target health by 25%) This should happen with all the stuf, a short explanation on a hover over, given in a window similar to those used when inspecting an item.
iii.The character screen must contain a list of all the stuff that has a chance of happening when the player does a certain thing: For instance, here is an example:
*)Item X has a 5% Chance to cast lvl 3 frost nova when the you are hit
*)You have a chance of 33% of blocking a melee attack with your duble claws (assasin skill)
*)Shield X has a 1.5% Chance to cast life tab when u succesfuly hit a monster
*)Staff X has a 50% to cast lvl 30 hydra when u make a critical hit with a fire spell
*)Jewel X inserted in the item Y WILL cast lvl 35 meteor when you die (this means a 100% chance)
*)Jewel X inserted in the item Y WILL cast lvl 30 blaze when you level up
*)Ring X has a 10%chance to cast lvl 2 amplify damage when you dodge and 2% chance to cast fist of heavens when u kill an enemy
This way we can see all the effects of all the stuf we have on us, and itís a very good feature to have, and very easy to implement in my opinion
iv.To make things more interesting, a simplified system of damage should be used for the normal mode ONLY, in nightmare the second options should be added, and in hell the character screen should contained the detailed damage system described above together with the list of all the stuff that has a chance of happening when the player does a certain thing. This way everyone will want to play to reach hell difficulty to see all the details
v.I would like the HUD to display the current active buffs on the player. But I think it is better to display them in a way similar to world of warcraft, itís much more simple, elegant and friendly. Buffs meaning active auras, bad effects, you name it. Bad effects on a lower row and good on an upper row. Also over hovering the respective icons we are being given a description.
b.WHY IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.
It gives us a clearer picture of how the character behaves, but not for free, and I think this should be a good enough reason. It is also stimulating the player to play all the way to hell
ii.It will probably encourage casual players to play through the normal, and nighmare difficulties and reach hell to see all the details !
c.PROS AND CONS
i.PROS:
1.All listed above
ii.CONS:
1.The character window might be insufficient to display all this data but I know blizzard guys are resourcefull and like to make a perfect game !

4)Physical Damage Split Between 2 Categories and 3 Versions
a.HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.I Think it would be more realistic to split the physical damage in 2 categories (melee and ranged) with 3 versions (slashing, piercing,Bashing). Imagine melee physical shalsing (mPS) the type of damage that would occur when something is being cut, with a sword for example, a knife. Melee or ranged physical piercing (mPP & rPP) should be imagined the type of damagge that would occur when something pointy pierces a surface. When we use a dagger to stab, a spear to thurst, an arrow to hit something. Melee Physical Bashing damage (mPB) should be imagine when something that isnít sharped in any way described above, such a hammer, a staf, a bat, a club is hitting something. This type of damage occurs when weapon hits something and the object it was in contact with has no cuts, but rather a dent surface.
*)Slashing damage: Done by a sharp objects that leaves a cut
*)Piercing damage: Done by a sharp objects that leaves the surface pierced
*)Bashing damage: Done by a non sharp ojects that hits and smashed the targets rather than leaving cuts and piercings
ii.Let me give an example with a Dager. IN REAL LIFE, if we have a dagger and stab someone, thatís a piercing damage, if we use it to cut something, thatís a slashing damage. IN GAME We have 2 options to split the damage. I will use a dagger with 50-100 phyisical damage as an example:
1.The character wielding a dagger could have 20% of itís attacks animated in a stabing form and 80% of itís attacks animated in a cutting form. (Or any other percenteges for that matter). This means 20% of the time it inflicts 50-100 melee piercing physical, and 80% of the time inflicts 50-100 melee physical slashing damage. This way itís harder to implement in game when displaying the physical damage in the character screen, but itís a more realistic way. This means the whole damage is either piercing, either slashing, depending of the attack type
2.The 50-100 damage can be split initialy. Meaning 20% of the damage meaning 10-20 is always piercing and 80% of the damage meaning 40-80 is always slashing. This way piercing damage and slashing damage will both be inflicted every time the dagger hits a target. This is less realisticaly than the previous version, but the physical split is easier to display in the character screen.
iii.I will give another example with a blunt weapon. Imagine a Bar with a metal sphere on one end and big pointy spikes on the sphere. This is a variety of mace or morning star. The 2 options are:
1.Every time the wepon hits it hits the same way, by bashing the metal round head on the target. When that occurs, bashing damage happens because of the sphere and piercing damage happens because of the spikes So we have a bigger 51-105 bashing damage and a smaller (or maybe not) piercing physical damage of 17-35.
2.The 68-140 physical damge is split between bashing and piercing, 75% bashing and 25% piercing
iv.We can see that with the blunt object example option 1 is exactly as option 2, therefore I am iclined to believe using option 2 of physical split is a better idea. It is also much better to display the split in the character screen
b.WHY IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.Itís a much more realistic way the deal with the physical damage
ii.It opens a whole new range of possibilities for weapons, armors, and monsters, spells:
1.For instance there could be weapons dealing 3 types of the damage, 2 types only or one type only. Arrow would be dealing ranged physical piercing all the time.
2.Weapons initialy dealing only one type of damage could be used in conjunctions with skills to deal the other types of damage. For instance a spear does piercing damage, but if u use the wepon with the other end, thatís a bashing damage.
3.Armors would have among all other atributes, atributes like slashing resist, or piercing resist, or bashing resist. A whole new range and variety of armor could be imagined. Armor with goof piercing, but small slashing resistnace, etcÖ
4.There could be monsters with a tough skin (resistant to piercing and slasing) but with brittle bones. Drop a hammer on these and they die like a fly. And viceversa
Spells like ďbrittle bonesĒ(decreases bashing resistance) or ďdemon hideĒ (increases piercing and slashing resistance), ďincrease massĒ(increases bashing resistances) could be imagined opening a variety of possiblities
iii.It opens possibilities of modifying even how spells work. For instance, meteor shower would also deal ranged physical bashing damage by the rocks hitting the target (thatís an example of ranged physical bashing, I didnít thought I could imagine one), or cone of ice, and icicle spells deal ranged physical piercing damage aswell.
iv.It opens the possibiltie to deal damage even if u miss the target with a projectile. Imagine an arrow missing a target. It can miss it by a long shot, or by a small margin. That small margin could be a ranged physical slashing damage. So in the description a a certain bow we can have: Has a 5% chance of dealing 5-10 (or 15% of itís original damage) physical slashing damage in case of a miss.
v.All 6 varieties of physical damage could be implemented in a way or another melee physical slashing, piercing, bashing, and ranged physical slashing, piercing, bashing
c.PROS AND CONS
i.PROS:
1.All of the above
2.The game would be like no other hack(piercing damage) and slash (slashing damage) RPG ever.
ii.CONS:
1.It may require a total rethinking of the game system, item system, monsters system, spells system, wich could proove difficult to achieve

5)Items bound by character and removal of the LAN exploit for single player gameplay
DEFINITION LAN exploit = An exploit where a player installes the game on a second pc, makes a lan game and uses his character (MAIN) to transfer items from it to a lol lvl freshly made second character (ALT) on the second PC. The the first PC Alt-Tabs, overwrites the MAIN who lost the transferred items to the ALT, with a MAIN backup from hard drive which still has the transferred items. Then the backed up MAIN joines the ALT, and the ALT transferess back the said items the the backed up MAIN which allready has the said ITEM
a.HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.Bound items
1)like in WoW, some others are bound to character some are not
2)Many will say that if all items are bound by character trade will be impossible. I offer a solution which will still retain the advantages of the bound items but will still offer the abilty to trade those binded items to other players.
3)Low level items should be freely tradeble between players. Higher and better items should be bound. What items are bound to character and what are not should be decided by a scale from 1 to 10 which is independent of item level but dependant on it's propreties. 1 2 3 4 are freely tradeble, 5 and 6 means bind on equip, 7 8 9 10 means bind on pickup. I will name this system meta (insipired from eve-online) level system. Meta 1,2,3,4 and 5 with 6(if never used) are tradeble. Meta 5 or 6 equipped, 7 8 9 10, are not tradeble. Using a bound item is only possible in online play where a specil object drops. Unbinding an item uses a number of those specil objects, the number beeing dependant on the meta lvl, character level and item lvl. Therefore trading will still be possible inonline play. And will only be possible in offline play only with objects that have lower meta.
iii.Removal of the LAN xploit possibility
1)I Leave this to the ingenious minds working at Diablo 3, or if they want and ideea they should mail me at bmg_al_84@yahoo.com
b.WHY IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.Bound items
1)Bound items may mean you have to find those higher grade items yourself. Low grade items are still tradeble even in multiplayer LAN
2)Bound items - You will not be able to trade offline(multiplayer lan) via LAN exploit high grade items found by your friend who was lucky and gave you his save game
3)People will eventualy use external mulling programs such as atma to create a big stash containing all of their high grade items.That stash file if posted by the player who made it on the net and if downloaded by some other players, won't be able to be used by those who downloaded it since the items inside, if high grade, will be bound to the player that found them. A special measure must be taken to prevent the downloaders to still use those files if they create a character with the same name as the player who originaly found it. Not knowing the players name may be a solution, but not a bullet proof one. A way to be certain for shure would be to encode the said item with the player's name and CD-Key. If the one who found the items never discloses his cd key, it should probably work.
4)It will encourage people to try to find themselves the high grade items
5)It will encourage people to play online if they still want to trade for those binded items
iii.LAN exploit
1)
hinders Single Player Experience. From my own game experience, who used the exploit myself, I tell you that a player preffers to do the LAN exploit than find those tones of low level runes required to even make a single ZOD. Itís harmless, easy to to, and the character is hack free
c.PROS AND CONS
i.PROS:
1.Will make the game a more enjoyable Experience
ii.CONS:
1.Bound items should be thought carefully before implemented, which is bound and which is not.
2.Removal of the possibility of the LAN EXPLOIT may be hard to implement !

6)3D items on the character must look like they are drawn on the 2d icon item. General Example: Those unique items that had that unique look in inventory still looked like a normal item equiped. Particular example: Boneslayer Blade Gothic Axe. The 2d image clearly shows the axe has two sharp blades, but when equipped, the equiped item on the character doesnít even remotly ressemble the 2D Drawing. It doenít eve have 2blades.
a.HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.By making a 3d design for every item.
b.WHY IT SHOULD BE DONE
i.It will make the character look better. Well.. not better, but the character will look the way it should look. People will know that a certain player has a certain unique or set item just by looking at it.
c.PROS AND CONS
i.Pros:
1.All of the ABOVE
ii.CONS:
1.May mean lot more work needs to be done

7)The use of 1000 separator. Using the 1000 separator makes large numbers easier to read. I always hated the games where large number donít have the 1000 separator and make me count those numbers myself to see if itís 123 millions or 12millions. This is effortless to implement. I know it has been implemented in diablo 2 when displaying the XP number, but not everywhere, thatís why I remind you of this fact.

It's DONE

Last edited by Bytales; 08-24-2008 at 12:25 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-20-2008

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

If you want this thread to survive I'll support this

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 08-20-2008

United States Bytales
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spychi View Post
If you want this thread to survive I'll support this
Yes i would like to survive, im thankfull for the positive feedback, that means you like my ideeas to !
I'd very much like to hear what a guy from the development team of diablo 3 has to say about this !

pm.gif   

Old 08-20-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Actually I'll be thrilled omg giggly if they don't recreate the LCS (Lieing Character Screen).

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-21-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul
 KnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too long

While i support most of your ideas i have to disagree on the first one, there are more ways to create character longevity than an XP system with no Cap Lv.

Like:-

1-Achievements, medals and tokens, all these could really give the character an extended life and give the player lots of things to do even after he hits the Cap Lv., achievements with requirements like "Kill Diablo for 100 times on Hell Mode" to get a title like "Hell Breaker" for ex. and a decorative Diablo head helmet will surely take lots of time, but when you do it you will have the bragging rights.

2-Competitive PvP, like they said at the latest interviews, there will be a focused PvP mode with a great focus on competitive fighting rather than player killing, so aside from competing with other Hi-Lv players in contests or mini-games or whatever, there could also be special tokens and titles for PVP ( not just ears ), Think of Gothic trophies or getting titles like " The Butcher " for defeating 50 people without dying once, that's ought to take lots of time to do indeed ^_^

Other than that, i totally agree on the Bestiary and the Weapon damage types and colors, they really need to implement those

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

STOP ISRAELI MASSACRES OF CIVILIANS
http://www.elfarra.org/gallery/gaza.htm

pm.gif   

Old 08-21-2008

United States Bytales
BF Member

The no level cap is not mainly about creating a longevity, but rather to have a written record of how addicted u are. Because lvl 99 is hard to get as it is... And if u kill diablo 1000 times on hell i doubt u will reach even lvl 100....
Levels above 99 should not be considered as a goal. Once u reach lvl 99 u should still be able to see the amount of XP you ammased, even if u won't get "Credit for it"(in the form of a level up) as faster as youd normaly expect while leveling up from any given lvl from1 and 98 to the next one. You should still get credit from beeing addicted, but in a form of diminishing returns.
It could be made the the levels made above 99 give u less stats (this is what i mean by diminishing returns)(say 1 skill point and 2 attribute points) and even if it is listed u are lvl 102, the calculations with the monsters and all other calculations involving your level should still take place with the number 99(the MAX normal lvl). (And i think this is a must if no capless lvl is gonna be in diablo 3)

Because it is akward to see next lvl at 0 displayed in the character screen. And u can't really differeantiate two lvl 99 characters who have both have all the medals and all the achievemnts to the max.
This XP level togheter with the bestiary system will be the only records wich shows that player X played for 5 more years after he reached lvl 99 with his character and player Y played for only 1 week after he made lvl 99.

This is the ideea i initialy intended to show the diablo 3 staff, and i pray that they will agree with me

I'm not saying that achievemnts and metals and tokens are a bad ideea, on the contrary, i like the ideea too.
But as i said, the written XP number and the number of monster kills, will be the only thing that really shows how much time a person invested in that character, and what zones he frequented the most, and that's what i'd like to have, rather than trying to reach for a certain lvl above 100, which will obviously be hard as hell if this system is gonna be implemented.

I hope u got my point, and i look forwards in hearing your opinion about my ideea !

If this system will ever be implemented, someone will probably be entering the guiness book of records for the man who has the biggest XP amount in diablo 3.

This capless lvl system toghther with the bestiary system are in my opinion the 2 most important things that will make the game complete.
I'm talking about ingle player here. In MP a totaly different aproach should be taken, like for instance having different XP's for monsters kills and player kills. This is nother way to see exactly what a certain player did since he started playing that character !

Apart from beeing able to see exactly how a certain character has been played, the bestiary and capless lvl system is more about giving the player the possibility to choose for himself when to stop playing that character rather than stop playing when the game tells him to.
It's this what i'm really after, because one of the best things i liked about Diablo 2 was the fact the monsters kept coming alive so you could play for as long as you wanted.
The capless lvl system and the bestiary system TRULY give the diablo 3 player exactly what diablo 2 tryied to achieve but didn't quite make it, the ability to play as long as you want ! without the fear of playing for nothing !

Last edited by Bytales; 08-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-21-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Actually as opposed to higher levels, I think it could be interesting if you could "purchase" something with that extra experience that you gather after reaching the level cap.

Like something not really balance changing or anything, but cool nonetheless. Though I dunno what that could be. A funky hairdo? A cape? I'd hate to see you able to purchase like extra stat points or anything.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-21-2008

United States Santrega
The one and only
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win

I can't believe you guys were even able to read the OP. I would like to have known what this guy said, but I just cant bring myself to read it :-/.

Santrega has 737 Posts

I require additional reputation.

pm.gif   

Old 08-21-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santrega View Post
I can't believe you guys were even able to read the OP. I would like to have known what this guy said, but I just cant bring myself to read it :-/.
Agreed. Walls of text = bad. Some OK ideas, but needs to be spaced out better visually.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 08-21-2008

United States Bytales
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Actually as opposed to higher levels, I think it could be interesting if you could "purchase" something with that extra experience that you gather after reaching the level cap.

Like something not really balance changing or anything, but cool nonetheless. Though I dunno what that could be. A funky hairdo? A cape? I'd hate to see you able to purchase like extra stat points or anything.

-Neo
TRUE, i'm making a version now which will be easy as pie to read and understand, and i will post that on official forums too because i remebered i bought WOW, LOL !
Just stick with me ! It will be ready Friday night.

Last edited by Bytales; 08-21-2008 at 08:33 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-22-2008

United States Bytales
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytales View Post
TRUE, i'm making a version now which will be easy as pie to read and understand, and i will post that on official forums too because i remebered i bought WOW, LOL !
Just stick with me ! It will be ready Friday night.
It's Ready Check it out. I still need to figure out for a way to post on the Diablo III original forums. I think i'll buy a diablo2 game just to do that !

pm.gif   

Old 08-23-2008

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

Soulbound items are quite the opposite of what online play in the Diablo series is all about. WoW uses soulbound items to force players to progress through raids in order. In Diablo it's all about the economy and the flexibility to make good use of every item that you find while playing alone.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 08-23-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul
 KnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Soulbound items are quite the opposite of what online play in the Diablo series is all about. WoW uses soulbound items to force players to progress through raids in order. In Diablo it's all about the economy and the flexibility to make good use of every item that you find while playing alone.

Still we can't deny he got a point about the LAN exploit, i don't know how much the game would be affected if the Unique, Set and Rare items became Soul Bound, possibly the Trading will be hurt badly, so either way there will be problems.

I say they make acquiring/crafting Unique items, Rare and Set ones much easier than in D2 so that people no longer feel the need to exploit the game specially with higher chances to obtain such items through MF or Trading ( not very high chances but resonable compared to D2, cause the chances to find them was really very ridiculously low in D2 ).

I know it was meant to lengthen the game's life span, but that's rather an artificial way that actually caused lots of problems and forced people to dupe and exploit the game to get those items which were almost unobtainable unless you had no life whatsoever and spent 100% of your time on D2.

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-23-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

What exploit are we talking about? Are you saying MF was an exploit?

Because at this point in D2 there are quite a few different ways to obtain "rare and powerful items" whether they are high level uniques or runewords without to much grinding or farming.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 08-23-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
What exploit are we talking about? Are you saying MF was an exploit?

Because at this point in D2 there are quite a few different ways to obtain "rare and powerful items" whether they are high level uniques or runewords without to much grinding or farming.
No, not the MF ( which while is not an exploit still involves too much grinding ), but i mainly was talking about the LAN exploit ( that allows you to copy items and make duplicates from them ) Bytales explained in detail in his first post, aside from the duping too.

For an item like the rune Zod, do you think there are other ways to find one that doesn't involve mindless grinding for very long hours or duping ( i will exclude trade now since it is not very effective if the item is too damn rare )

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

pm.gif