Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all
Default Should the world be allowed to vote in US election?

Seems like a stupid question, doesn't it? But the world is becoming more and more inter-connected with every passing day thanks to the internet and all other technology that's coming out. What goes on in one country matters for the entire world like never before, and this economic crisis is showing us that it matters on an unprecedented scale as far as big shot players like the US are concerned.

More than ever before the President of the United States will have an impact on the entire world, ranging from the obvious like foreign affairs issues (war in Iraq, diplomacy, oil-related warmongering) to national affairs that will have far-reaching effects (education, or lack thereof, is what allows people like Bush to stay in power).

At first glance it seems like a silly question -- if someone thought it was important enough, they could move to the US and vote -- but isn't the world moving in such a direction that this is just too important a decision for one polarized group of people to vote on? The American people can't help being fed biased information about the rest of the world because they are far away from the rest of the world, just as people in China would have trouble finding such relevance in matters outside of their own borders. But just because the citizens of these countries don't always understand the entirety of the global situation doesn't mean that their countries aren't taking part in that global situation -- for better or worse. Shouldn't their decisions be balanced out by those of people who live at the eye of the storm, whose lives are affected even more than those of US citizens? Should such a small percentage of the world's population be allowed to impact it so strongly based exclusively on where they happened to be born?

It's a controversial topic, but the world is changing. Isolationist policies that worked for everyday people in everyday life in the Middle Ages will be obsolete sooner or later, completely outdated and irrelevant... and I think this is one of those issues that will require extensive thought, because it is more complicated than the seemingly obvious knee-jerk answers let on.

That said, I don't see any clear-cut answers to the problem. Leaning in the other extreme end of allowing everybody to vote in every election, I'm sure that the results could be equally disastrous -- the entire continent of Africa might vote for Obama disregarding his policies, and other pockets in the world might vote for McCain simply because they are not yet as accepting of multiculturalism, which are no less distressing thoughts. Even without a solution, at least we can open the topic up for discussion... thoughts?

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

No we shouldn't be able to vote, we're beyond their boundaries and their laws don't affect us in any but the most extraordinary circumstances.

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

This has to be the most idiotic thread ever posted in S.D. And that's saying a lot.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

United States Grog
-gy*
 Grog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too much

This is worse than the thread debating the ethnicity of starcraft 2 units.

Grog has 2,173 Posts

Are you such a dreamer
To put the world to rights?
I'll stay home forever
Where two and two always makes a five

I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag and hide
January has April's showers
And two and two always makes a five

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
This is worse than the thread debating the ethnicity of starcraft 2 units.
I would find that riveting compared to this thread.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Okay, great knee-jerk reaction, but backing away from that for a second -- did any of you take into account that I was speaking not about the present, but the future?

You cannot deny that the world is becoming more and more inter-connected, and that the decisions of the economic giants are having more and more weight. The Roman Empire, as great as it was, exerted limited influence over countries on other continents. But I'd be hard pressed to find a pocket of the world right now that is not influenced by American politics.

Maybe the title of the thread was misleading, because suggesting that would be silly. But isn't it also silly that people are trying to hold on to these conservative ideas of isolationism so hard in the wake of a world that is undeniably turning away from that?

A person born in some rural part of USA is going to have more power deciding the future of the Middle East than a person born and lived their whole life in the Middle East, simply because a vote in the USA is more important than a vote in any of those countries, and will have more impact. Yet he can't possibly be unbiased, he can't possibly understanding the complexity of the situation half as well as someone who does live there. Is there nothing wrong with this idea?

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

A sovereign government is not isolationism you moronic half-wit.

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

United States Grog
-gy*
 Grog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too much

So how do you feel about us (just US) voting in the Canadian elections. 300 million vs 30 million should have quite the fun election results!

But seriously dude. Think of how stupid this is. The entire world population is 6+ billion. The US is 300 million. In a world open US election, all a candidate would have to do is promise to give away everything America has to the rest of the world. Even if every single american votes against it all it would take like only >5% of the rest of the world to override it.

Grog has 2,173 Posts

Are you such a dreamer
I'll stay home forever

I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag and hide

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
A sovereign government is not isolationism you moronic half-wit.
Every day people continue to live out ignorant lives, not choosing to fully comprehend the complexity of issues they vote on and elect presidents to resolve. These presidents then end up having a huge impact on the lives of people halfway across the world.

If that isn't isolationism on the smallest scale imaginable, I don't know what else to call it. But these people are willingly -- or not -- restricting their inflow of information at a time when their voices have so much power, and will continue to grow in power. They think they can simply continue living out small lives, when in fact the world has become quite big without their ever realizing it. And it's having negative repercussions on portions of the world.

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

If the world could vote in U.S. elections then Democrats would win by a landslide in nearly every election.

If I was a citizen in Iran, do you think I'd vote for a NeoCon to come and drop bombs on my children?

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
So how do you feel about us (just US) voting in the Canadian elections. 300 million vs 30 million should have quite the fun election results!

But seriously dude. Think of how stupid this is. The entire world population is 6+ billion. The US is 300 million. In a world open US election, all a candidate would have to do is promise to give away everything America has to the rest of the world. Even if every single american votes against it all it would take like only >5% of the rest of the world to override it.
I'm glad we got past the initial rudeness. I point you now to a paragraph in my OP that said the exact same thing:

"That said, I don't see any clear-cut answers to the problem. Leaning in the other extreme end of allowing everybody to vote in every election, I'm sure that the results could be equally disastrous -- the entire continent of Africa might vote for Obama disregarding his policies, and other pockets in the world might vote for McCain simply because they are not yet as accepting of multiculturalism, which are no less distressing thoughts. Even without a solution, at least we can open the topic up for discussion... thoughts?"

I understand that this is a problem, and I have no solutions for it. But that doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be opened up for discussion.

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
And it's having negative repercussions on portions of the world.
That's why you have the United Nations. If only they had a backbone. Then maybe you could ask them nicely to make us stop sending so much foreign aid all over the globe. We should just pull all our troops out of every country, stop trying to help anyone and just go back to doing what we do best, looking out for A#1 USA.

Yeah, we're real isolationist. Am I being punk'd? Candid Camera?

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
That's why you have the United Nations. If only they had a backbone. Then maybe you could ask them nicely to make us stop sending so much foreign aid all over the globe. We should just pull all our troops out of every country, stop trying to help anyone and just go back to doing what we do best, looking out for A#1 USA.

Yeah, we're real isolationist. Am I being punk'd? Candid Camera?
I don't know where you're getting this idea from that I think America is just a cesspool of evil and that everything you guys are doing is bad, or that I'm underestimating the amount of global aid the US is responsible for. Not in a million years.

At the same time, there are policies that have had negative consequences in America's past, and if we can't agree on specifics we can at least agree on the general principle. You mentioned the United Nations, and that's a great example -- only as you said they have no backbone, and maybe the very idea behind it is so flawed that it can never have a backbone. After all they receive their funding just like any other organization, which is from big corporations, which means their interests will always be jaded.

Hence looking for alternatives. My main idea here is that in the 21st century moving forward, I don't believe there is a place for small populations making decisions that are not in the genuine best interests of large populations. It's like the US preaches democracy, Canada preaches democracy, the entire world can preach democracy, but at the end of the day, that's democracy only within the nations -- what about global democracy? Why should that be any less important? If anything, I would imagine it to have more weight.

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

United States Grog
-gy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
I'm glad we got past the initial rudeness. I point you now to a paragraph in my OP that said the exact same thing:

"That said, I don't see any clear-cut answers to the problem. Leaning in the other extreme end of allowing everybody to vote in every election, I'm sure that the results could be equally disastrous -- the entire continent of Africa might vote for Obama disregarding his policies, and other pockets in the world might vote for McCain simply because they are not yet as accepting of multiculturalism, which are no less distressing thoughts. Even without a solution, at least we can open the topic up for discussion... thoughts?"

I understand that this is a problem, and I have no solutions for it. But that doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be opened up for discussion.

answer my question. How would you feel about Americans being able to vote in Canadian elections?

Grog has 2,173 Posts

Are you such a dreamer
I'll stay home forever

I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag and hide

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

If the world had voted in the last few American elections, it would have been Gore or Kerry, then Obama anyway. And the world would be a fantastic place. Oh well.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  
Closed Thread