Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all
Default Create your own special ability!

So, I was having this dream that I was playing the beta of SC2 (I have no idea why I have such dreams ), and I was playing around with the Protoss. They had some pretty strange and OP abilities that I used to own the hell out of a Terran enemy on a Space Platform map...

So I had thought up of a little alteration to that special ability (well, two abilities) that would make it great.

One ability was for the Mothership:
Boson Crush
Cost: 175 Energy
What it does: Selected unit keeps getting smaller until it is crushed, creating a small explosion. This can be reversed by killing the caster (Now the Nullifier) while it is still casting the ability. It takes about 10 seconds for a unit the size of a Siege Tank. The unit floats slightly (Can't be targeted by AA though) and rotates as it is shrunk to oblivion. A Marine or Zergling would die quickly (2 seconds). The ability would be slower on Protoss units. Good counters would be Stalkers, Lurkers, large units like the Thor and Colossus, who would be immune, artillery units and maybe Vikings, who would escape it by transforming.
The ability would have to be researched for 125 minerals and 150 gas.
Caster: Nullifier

Another Protoss ability:
Psychokinetic Force (Better name needed)
Cost: 250 Energy (Yes, the only one that empties energy out of a unit)
What it does: At a target area (or maybe in a radius around the caster), it stops enemy units instantly, preventing them from being able to do anything, as they also slowly receive damage (not enough to kill anything more than a T1 unit). This would be an Archon ability and would go well against swarm of units. It could potentially sacrifice the unit, too...for added balance.
The ability would have to be researched for 150 minerals and 150 gas.
Caster: Archon

And another one:
Atomic Shrink
Cost: 150 Energy
What it does: A target unit is shrunk, becomes faster, more resistant to damage, but deals much less damage. It can also be crushed now by larger units. It also gets a funny, higher pitch voice to go with it (ala Red Alert 3). Works only on ground units. Cast by Nullifier.
Mineral and Gas cost: not sure.
Caster: Nullifier

Terran abilities
Cryogen
Cost: 100 Energy
What it does: Freezes a unit. The unit will thaw over time (20 seconds). Large units cannot be frozen, neither can air unist. Frozen units will receive much more damage than when unfrozen. (maybe can be insta-destroyed, like in Red Alert 3?) (Think of this as the lockdown of SC2)
Caster: Nighthawk
Comes with the unit.

EMP
Cost: 125 Energy
What it does: No longer removes shields, as Protoss equipment almost instantly reboots, or maybe they have somewhat better, more resistant equipment. No longer even removes energy. It just stops unit in a certain area. They reboot after 10 seconds. Only affects electronic/robotic units.
Caster: Ghost
Comes with the unit.

And what about a Psychokinetic Protoss, Hybrid or Xel'Naga campaign exclusive hero or unit? It would be able to levitate units and crush them with its mind. (again, an idea from RA3, originating from Yuriko) It would even be able to juggle with up to 3 or 4 units at the same time. It would be countered by swarms of units.

So, what do you guys think? Any other ideas of your own?

Last edited by Alex06; 12-14-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Alex06 has 881 Posts

Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 

Old 12-14-2008

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Terran Ability.

Latest Tier after mining and having 9999 minerals and gas at the same time, and it must be those exact numbers, no more no less, an icon will be CREATED in your barracks.

*Summon Chuck Norris*

The rest is self-explanatory.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all

He is mankind's only hope against the Hybrids!
lol...Joke abilities apply too, I guess, since we can always put them up in custom maps and such.

Alex06 has 881 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

I'll bring one up from the armory, self created of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiWarp
Vertigo: The Phoenix commence overdrive of its prismatic core system, unleashing a wavelength of psionic energy powerful enough to ripple the space-time continuum around the Phoenix itself. Any aircraft within the vicinity will immediately slow to a halt, and become frozen in time. Due to the immense power shortage after the time burst, the Phoenix goes offline. In reality, the Phoenix is able to come online quicker than the frozen objects, however it is also affected by the space-time distortion. A Phoenix will generally come online slightly after the vicinity returns to normal time.

Vertigo has a short casting time, just like Overload. In my imagination, I envision the Phoenix stopping in its tracks, charging energy with sparks of psionic lightning crossing between it's wings and then unleash a wave of pure blue psionic energy. Any units caught inside the AoE when the wave sweeps outward will slow down in their tracks, then they become frozen in animation (a Mutalisk flying through will literally decelerate and stop flapping its wings, stuck in that part of it's walking animation. How cool is that!?). Only units inside the field when the Phoenix activates the psionic wave will remain frozen, any other unit that goes through the field while the Phoenix and targets are frozen will NOT become frozen!

So essentially, Vertigo is like Anti-Gravity and Overload combined, it has great potential against swarms of air units, and everything inside becomes free-game to any player that happens to come across. Beware, the Phoenix comes online 2 seconds after the other units become unfrozen, so that's a weakness some players would exploit. This only affect air units, and friendly fire can be used to balance, or not.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome

Nice. By the way, anyone else but me wish for the return of the Overload ability, alongside the current anti-grav one, for the Phoenix?

Alex06 has 881 Posts

Old 12-14-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Eject: All Terran vehicles have the ability to eject their driver/pilot. The pilot has 30 HP and deals 3 dmg. Vehicles that have ejected their driver/pilot become completely immobile. Drivers/Pilots can be returned to a command center to recover 10 minerals.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 12-14-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
Nice. By the way, anyone else but me wish for the return of the Overload ability, alongside the current anti-grav one, for the Phoenix?
I say give back Overload to the Phoenix and instead pass Anti-Gravity to another unit, for example the Warp Prism, so as to create synergy between units.

pm.gif   

Old 12-14-2008

Macedonia SlickR
BF Member
 SlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortals

Ability tanya:
Terran can buy tanya from the command center. She can inflitrate in CC/Nexus/Lair and steal all the resources at the time of infiltration.

Ability deadwalk:
Zerg can spawn zombies(dead zerg units)with a model of zombie, zombies have 30HP and deal only 1 damage once, but every unit they bite(damage) becomes zombie within 5 second and joins your zerg forces!

SlickR has 1,059 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-14-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickR View Post
Ability tanya:
Terran can buy tanya from the command center. She can inflitrate in CC/Nexus/Lair and steal all the resources at the time of infiltration.

Ability deadwalk:
Zerg can spawn zombies(dead zerg units)with a model of zombie, zombies have 30HP and deal only 1 damage once, but every unit they bite(damage) becomes zombie within 5 second and joins your zerg forces!
Given your track record, I can't tell if you're serious or joking.

---

I never really understood why they gave Anti-Gravity to the Pheonix. Was it to let it attack everything without giving it a ATG attack? That's just fuckin redundant.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 12-14-2008

Macedonia SlickR
BF Member
 SlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
Given your track record, I can't tell if you're serious or joking.

---

I never really understood why they gave Anti-Gravity to the Pheonix. Was it to let it attack everything without giving it a ATG attack? That's just fuckin redundant.
take a guess

SlickR has 1,059 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
Same reason they gave crypt fiends a web attack (that could drop air units to the ground) rather than giving them a GtA attack.

I don't think this works as well, however. A crypt fiend could drop a griffon rider, for instance, where a tauren warrior could easily smash the hell out of it. (In other words, now GtG-only attackers can attack the target, when they couldn't have before.)

However, in StarCraft II there aren't many AtA attackers. In fact, I think the only AtA attacker for the protoss is the phoenix itself. All anti-grav does (as a combat mechanic) is bring something out of the range of your cheaper and deadlier zealots and put it into the air where it'll be dealt with by the more expensive phoenix.

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 12-14-2008

Croatia ZergMcNugget
404The Error of the Beast
 ZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supreme

Terran
Mount Ablity
Used by: Marines
Costs: Free
Description: Marines climb up a tank, hellion, viking or thor making a human wall wich takes damage instead of vechile, while in process shooting from their guns, and while not in combat screaming YEEEEHAAAA while driving.

Thor Break Dance
Cost: Free
Desc: Crushes small units around instantly within 10 seconds dancing, while being completely immobile. Try to imagine.

Zerg
Zergling Catapult
Uses: Ultralisk
Costs 2 Lings
Desc: Ultra takes 2 lings and launches them at high speed and long range towards the targeted area giving 125 normal damage on area killing the lings. Ultra cannot move for next 20 seconds

Last edited by ZergMcNugget; 12-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
ZergMcNugget has 862 Posts

If atheism is religion than bycicles are type of cars.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to ZergMcNugget  

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Carsickness
Stop the car!
 Carsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwns

Zerg ability:

Plague launcher.
The Infestor can drop a seed like container that instantly burrows into the ground. Once an enemy unit passes over the plague launcher, it will reveal it self by unleashing a devistating cloud that instanly infects all enemy units within a certain radius. Once infected, the enemy unit has 5 seconds before taking 100 damage from the exploding spores that have been breathed in.
  • Once deployed, the plague launcher only has 1 minute to activate before withering away.
  • Only does damage to manned units.
  • Once activated the Plague launcher is destroyed
(kinda like a zerg version of the spider mine.)

Carsickness has 1,332 Posts

Thanks Meteora for customizing my avatar and signature, +reps for life

pm.gif   

Old 12-14-2008

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Dark Swarm: Queen implants egg clusters in the ground, or Creep, which can manually be selected to hatch into a Dark Swarm. The Dark Swarm may relocate during their lifespan, and negates all ranged attacks coming in or out of the Dark Swarm.

Inspired by Carsickness and Spidermines, and Burrow (hence you manually hatch them).

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 12-15-2008

Canada Drake Clawfang
Guardian of Helm
 Drake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to allDrake Clawfang is a name known to all

Miss me? Decided to pop in and saw an intriguing thread. Good to see SlickR and D-Squid haven't changed in my absence.

Self-Destruct
Terran Jackal (that the name anymore, I've lost track)

When the unit's HP falls within a certain margin, the unit self-destructs, inflicting 50 splash damage to nearby units. The self-destruct mode occurs when the unit has between 1 and 10% of its Max HP left. Let's say the Jackal has 100 HP - it self-destructs when it has between 10 and 1 HP. If it has 12 HP, and takes 15 damage, it dies without self-destructing, but if it has 20 HP and takes 15 damage, it has 5 HP left and self-destructs. Useful for dealing with small units that do little damage like Zerglings, but units that do more damage can kill the Jackal before it enters the danger zone. Zerglings, on the other hand with their small damage output, will surely set off self-destruct and be roasted in the blast. Self-destruct is a passive power, you cannot choose not to activate it. Friendly fire will not set-off self destruct.

Drake Clawfang has 3,330 Posts

pm.gif