Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 02-02-2009

United States Ass Kicker
Joshua Jew
 Ass Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too muchAss Kicker might just love this place a little bit too much
Default Right...

B2H you seem very intent on getting me to buy COD 4. Once some of my IRL friends found out I bought a 360, they demanded I buy COD 4. Why is COD4 so different from games like Halo 3? How is it better than COD 1,2,3, and 5? Answer these and I'll go buy COD 4 and join your clan thing.

Ass Kicker has 3,320 Posts

Welcome to hell newbs your souls are mine!!!!

pm.gif   

Old 02-03-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 are pretty different games; the only two things that bare similarity are that both are shooters and run-and-gun. Well, one involves more bunny hopping (Halo 3) than taking cover (COD4). I've actually been writing this post for sometime now since I can't seem to get the right words out properly to describe all the details in the game so I'll just break it down into sections. Be warned that my geekness has resulted in a wall of text outlining the details from top to bottom. And I havenít played any other COD except the first so I canít really make much of a judgment; except that COD3 sucked because it was made by another company (so was COD5).

Gameplay Mechanics: In COD4 its almost always about being the first to pop a cap at the other player. You pull up the sights to your face/eyes and put a few rounds into your opponent. You can fire from the hip but that becomes a lot less accurate and is only advisable for close combat (within 1.5 - 2 meters from you at best is when you might want to fire from hip). Depending on the gun being fired, perks into consideration (more on that later) and even the range youíll take 1 Ė 5 shots before dying. Donít worry; youíll recover health automatically once you begin to take fire. The general rule of thumb however is that itíll take 3 shots to kill you aside from shotguns on close range and sniper rounds. By the way, bullets can go through walls, with reduced damage.

Single Player: Your looking at a real short, but powerful and immersing single player. Despite the fact that itís got a solid and addicting multiplayer, the single player always keeps on pulling me back to play the missions because they make me feel like I'm in an actual war. Maybe it's just me but I really mean it. Immersion is key; it just sucks you in when you first play the campaign. The cinematic is unique because itís seen from first person view; it doesn't have that awkward transition from cinematic to in-game kicking some ass as much as some other games.

The storyline supposing takes place in 2011 (it never states that but our calculations says otherwise), involves with a crisis in Middle East with a guy who rises into power; pretty much a military coup. There's also a civil war in Russia; you'll eventually know how the two relate to each other. You'll play from a number of different characters but for the most part you'll be playing as a British SAS and US Marine. You'll be alternating between the two factions so it always changes the pacing from being stealthy and lethal to massive chaos on the battlefield.

For a fictional game based in modern times the storyline is actually very compelling and has a twist to it. Coming back to the cinematic; it's bloody brilliant. A shitload of cinematic is breathtaking, ass kicking (haha) and what other better words to describe it.

Multiplayer: Depending on your preference, the single player might be just worth a rent if anything. The multiplayer is where it truly shines in COD4 (not to say the single player is inferior; rather the replay value rests on the online action). For people like me who have always played a FPS that requires you to hunt for weapons at their spawn points online or on the same TV; the mechanics are just jaw dropping for me.

You can choose your class and gear to your liking before heading out to battle. Unlike other FPS; there's a lot more customization involved. For me, knowing your setup and how it plays out gives me confidence in how well I do; rather than rushing towards to your favourite or best weaponís spawn and hoping for the best. You can choose which gun you want to bring out, a secondary weapon (pistol), decide if you want to slap on your gun an attachment like different sights or a grenade launcher (that's where we got our clan name from), paint on a camouflage pattern purely for aesthetics and decide which perks you want.

Perks can be treated sort of as a ďmodifierĒ to give your character different abilities or strengths. Some perks include doing more damage, have more health, carry more nades, drop a live nade when you die, sprint longer, etc. You can fiddle around and change with them to match with your play style. For example, if youíre the player who likes to sneak around a lot then your setup might be something like a MP5 (SMG) with a silencer on so you wonít show on the radar when you fire, have Bomb Squad (perk) so you can detect nearby explosives such as Claymores (perk) or C4s (perk), UAV Jammer (perk) so you wonít even appear on the radar at all when the enemy has a UAV and Dead Silence (perk) where you barely make any noise when moving around.

About the UAV, thereís a killing streak in COD4. If you get a succession of 3 kills in a row without dying you can call in a UAV Recon which reveals the positions of all your enemiesí location on the radar. Get 5 kills and you can call in an airstrike and just clear the area. Get 7 kills and you can call in an attack helicopter which mows down your enemies. Itís interesting and very unique to have a reward of sorts that lets you rack up more kills and help your team. I suppose it gives incentive to become competitive as well. It does certainly help the odds for the team winning.

Thereís always a constant character progression in COD4, youíll pretty much always be leveling up until you get to 10th Prestige. A Prestige is essentially a rank comprising of 55 ranks in total. Seeing how thereís ten of them and one non-prestige, that adds up to more than 500 ranks. Going to Prestige mode is like a restart button where you need to unlock your guns and perks once again. Thereís no other real benefit to this except for getting a new icon and whenever you feel like you want to restart. By the way this is console exclusive for some reason.

Compare to Halo 3; COD4 heavily emphasizes on infantry combat. There are no vehicles to drive around here. I like that because I never got good at killing people in giant ass tanks like the Wraith or in speedy vehicles like the Ghost. It depends on your preference really. If youíre a player who likes to think on their toes, like the sound of character progression, has quick reflex, likes to kill players within a mere second and donít mind the same happening to you and a bunch of other shit I mentioned before, the multiplayer is just for you.

----------------------------------------

Beyond is relatively unnecessary information that I felt that I wanted to write out if you were interested in other details like graphics, audio and other shit.

Technicality: COD4 runs on a consistent 60 frames per second (FPS); well technically itís locked at 40 Ė 60 FPS. Because the Human eye cannot detect the difference between 40 FPS and 60 FPS itís just said to be at a consistent 60 FPS. Even with 18 players online blowing each other up on Ground Wars (a mix of Team Deathmatch and Domination; which is essentially capturing and holding positions/flags) it doesnít seem to have frame rate issues. Only real reason why you might be suffering frame rate issues is when your lagging on Xbox Live or playing on a computer that canít handle the gameís graphics and amount of shit going online.

The graphics in COD4 is magnificent. It hardly felt like the graphics were that of 2007 (then again, that can be said for newer games not looking that much better than 2007ís lineup). Its photorealistic, its engine features true world-dynamic lightning, HDR lighting effects, dynamic shadows, and depth of field. Makes me wonder why they donít commercialize the engine.

However at the expense of that with beautiful graphics COD4 runs at a native resolution of 600p. Unless youíre a technical guy who reasons by logic of math and science, this doesnít really matter if itís sub-HD (the minimal standard for HD is 720p; Halo 3 runs on 640p). The graphics alone trick you into believing its HD, so you donít have to give a shit about the standards. It would probably be 720p but the developer decided that it would be a better option to optimize and balance the graphics and frame rates. And theyíve hit the perfect mark so it seems.

There have been some details that were put into attention by the developers. According to Wikipedia (and yes Iíve watched the video interview of it; Iíll put it up later when my internet isnít so shitty that it takes five minutes to load YouTube):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
To enhance the realistic feel of the game, the development team attended a live-fire exercise at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, a training facility in the California desert. This helped the developers to simulate the effects of being near an Abrams tank when it fires. The team also talked with United States Marines who were recently in combat to get a feel for the background, emotions, and attitude of Marines in combat. Veterans were also recruited to supervise motion capture sessions and the artificial intelligence design of the game.
Source

The audio is also well done. Not a whole lot of soundtrack unfortunately. It does work to give it a more realistic feeling since who the hell has music playing in the background when shooting terrorists? There is some nice voice acting, particularly for the British SAS and a few Americans; especially ones that fly around in helicopters or airplanes.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-03-2009

Australia Agent-47.
Silent Assassin
 Agent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too long

neh, cod 4 is good, a must buy, but i think World at Wat is better, in both single and multiplayer, not to mention nazi zombies and co op features, cod modern warfare 2 will be complete orgasm explsion though.
and halo 3 sucks dick.the story is the only good thing. fuck you bungie for killing ensemble studios (lol)

Agent-47. has 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Kicker View Post
I'll accept this when they start printing on the back of Bibles "Warning: This book has been linked to the murder and torture of millions along with a general lack of tolerance for others."

pm.gif   

Old 02-03-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Cnl.Fatso
t3h ub3r gr4ph1cs 4rt1st
 Cnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely tell when it's 40 frames per second and when it's 60. 60 is playable, 40 is not.

Cnl.Fatso has 153 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-03-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-47. View Post
neh, cod 4 is good, a must buy, but i think World at Wat is better, in both single and multiplayer, not to mention nazi zombies and co op features, cod modern warfare 2 will be complete orgasm explsion though.
and halo 3 sucks dick.the story is the only good thing. fuck you bungie for killing ensemble studios (lol)
I still disagree with you; though I am biased against WAW. Though the multiplayer has shown me great frustration during the beta. Have they even fixed the glitch for that big circular map taking place in Germany and has to do with lots of trains? The glitch lets you go under the map. Really pissed me off. WAW wasn't made by the same developer; they jacked the engine that was developed for COD4 and used it for their own game. Talk about laziness, it didn't earn much respect for me.

Also it's Microsoft that killed Ensemble Studios as far as I know of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-dut...review/17-104/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnl.Fatso View Post
I can definitely tell when it's 40 frames per second and when it's 60. 60 is playable, 40 is not.
Uh... No. Halo 3 plays at 30 FPS and its playable. Hell a lot of shooters are locked at 30 FPS, at least for consoles. It starts to become unplayable is when your getting below 10 FPS for shooters. Unless you happen to have really good eyesight that happens to not tolerate anything less than 60 FPS; you won't notice the difference.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

Old 02-04-2009

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

Quote:
I still disagree with you; though I am biased against WAW. Though the multiplayer has shown me great frustration during the beta. Have they even fixed the glitch for that big circular map taking place in Germany and has to do with lots of trains? The glitch lets you go under the map. Really pissed me off. WAW wasn't made by the same developer; they jacked the engine that was developed for COD4 and used it for their own game. Talk about laziness, it didn't earn much respect for me.
It's true. CoD:WaW is different, but not done as well. IW set a bar and Treyarch tried to hard to get to it, and it didn't work. I would reccomend WaW for the story, but nothing more. The MP is much slower, the map sizes are off, and a slew of other things make the game pissy.

However, not only does Cod4 bring a great MP replay value, the game types are fantastic. Search and destroy - one life per round, you must either kill the other team or plant a bomb and defend it till it blows up. Or if you're on defense, defend the sites and defuse the bomb if it's planted.

Hardcore - turns most guns into one shot kills, takes away huds and adds a respawn timer. Very fun for ninja's.

We have control points and headquaters (control the moving area). It's very well done. I don't regret buying it.

My final note: I always explained it like this. People bought halo 3 because they thought it was a good game. Then when Cod4 came out, they figured out what a good game truely is.

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Cnl.Fatso
t3h ub3r gr4ph1cs 4rt1st
 Cnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps 30-40FPS is not as hard on a console gamer's eyes (I don't have shitloads of experience with that, most console games I play are from 10+ years ago and all run at 50-60FPS) but I think most PC gamers will agree that it is difficult to play a shooter at anything under 50FPS.

Cnl.Fatso has 153 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-09-2009

United States terrorofdeath91
We Need More n00b t00bs!
 terrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet2head View Post
My final note: I always explained it like this. People bought halo 3 because they thought it was a good game. Then when Cod4 came out, they figured out what a good game truely is.
My philosphy on life, even though I love the storyline for Halo, always have always will, even if the multiplayer takes a turn down the shitter

terrorofdeath91 has 56 Posts

"I saw a truck the other day, I don't know what the business was but all I saw on the truck was "We Speak English" and "We Delivery"

"Sometimes magic sounds like tape"

"I guess I don't need to know, so fuck you, I'm going to Hollywood"

pm.gif   

Old 02-13-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Sasuke.

Lots of games jack engines. It's how you make games. You develop an engine internally in a company and you build off it. Holy shit look at the success of the orange box/left 4 dead and it's ALL based of the HL2 engine.

Same with the Unreal Tournament 4 engine a while ago, Quake engine etc. You make a great gaming engine and you build games from it. Who starts a game from scratch when they don't have to?

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-13-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Sasuke.

Lots of games jack engines. It's how you make games. You develop an engine internally in a company and you build off it. Holy shit look at the success of the orange box/left 4 dead and it's ALL based of the HL2 engine.

Same with the Unreal Tournament 4 engine a while ago, Quake engine etc. You make a great gaming engine and you build games from it. Who starts a game from scratch when they don't have to?
The problem is that Infinity Ward and Treyarch aren't the same company. Sure they're under the same banners of Activision Blizzard but still.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

Old 02-17-2009

Canada KP
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Fuck your retard logic... fuck it.

It's the same company. They are owned by the same parents company its just that instead of taking for fucking ever to release a game they give one game to one group of guys and say "You make installment 4" and then the next game to the other group of guys and say "You make installment 5" then they go, here's the engine we developed through our R&D department for both games. This is how you make money. You don't go and rebuild a game from scratch when the framework is there.

Hell here's an analogy for you. Honda is a great carmaker. One of the few making anywhere near a profit. They build a lot of their cars on the same frame and then just tweak things to corner different niches. THAT IS WHAT ACTIVISION DOES. The same guys don't work on every car, different people do. But instead of overworking one group they share the workload so that the product is more so quality than if for example EA was making the same developers make every game yearly.

Capiche?

ITS THE SAME COMPANY. GAME SAYS ACTIVISION AT THE START NO?

Who cares who develops it once Activision green lights it, when your fucking parent company says jump you fucking jump and onto the spot they tell you you don't go creating a new spot.

KP has 9,752 Posts

Old 02-17-2009

United States terrorofdeath91
We Need More n00b t00bs!
 terrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of lightterrorofdeath91 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Fuck your retard logic... fuck it.
lmao, well I'm going to side with Adrian on these one, but people dont start from scratch unless they really want to and have the time to make a brand spanking new game for the year, and wait how do i put quotes in my sig

terrorofdeath91 has 56 Posts

"I saw a truck the other day, I don't know what the business was but all I saw on the truck was "We Speak English" and "We Delivery"

"Sometimes magic sounds like tape"

"I guess I don't need to know, so fuck you, I'm going to Hollywood"

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Quote:
Who cares who develops it once Activision green lights it, when your fucking parent company says jump you fucking jump and onto the spot they tell you you don't go creating a new spot.
Alright, whatever. I'll remove that statement. But this statement is what is concerning me about the COD series. Its doing more harm to the series by churning one new game every year. Why must you hate me?

And Terror, goto your User CP right up there and you should be able to find the place where you alter and edit your signature.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

Old 02-17-2009

Canada KP

They don't churn out one yearly its every two years or so. Did you not read what Treyarch said about COD3 vs COD:WAW? They said they loved that this time around they had 3 years to make the game.

And lets be honest here, a lot of people like WAW more than COD4, they nerfed the grenades, tank combat adds a new dynamic, dogs are a better mechanic than helicopters because you can if you are a good player completely avoid all dogs but it still distracts you enough that a decent player can take you out while you are busy shooting/knifing them. The maps are great, really fucking awesome. I only dislike maybe one out of all of them. But in the end I like COD4 more because to be honest all my online friends play it.

That's the difference, graphically it is superior (play it on HD you'll see what I mean) the storyline is far more intense than COD4 even if in COD4 they drop a nuke. (taking that building in Berlin is INTENSE on veteran.)

In order for them to make the game that good they needed time to focus on gameplay instead of building a new engine. COD:WAW did not need a brand new graphics engine, why when they can easily meet/beat most other fps' on consoles today would they ever want to waste YEARS (that's how long these things take to make Xeno) building a new engine.

And it's no harm to the series to churn out quality game after quality game. If they start churning out shit then we'll talk. An 8.5 score is not a crappy game.

KP has 9,752 Posts