Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007

United States henrywonderchimp
because boston sucks
 henrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of winhenrywonderchimp is made of win
Default Your thoughts on WAYLTN

Basically, I want to hear what you think about the thread. I want to know if you were happy with the way it was, if you think you know how to improve it, if it should have no rules at all, if posts should be restricted and monitored... anything you can think of at all will greatly help in our decision making process.

henrywonderchimp has 4,553 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to henrywonderchimp Send a message via MSN to henrywonderchimp Send a message via Yahoo to henrywonderchimp 

Old 04-03-2007

United States Megatoast
You're not Alexander!
 Megatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond reputeMegatoast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your thoughts on WAYLTN

I think blatant +1s aren't cool, though I've done my fair share of them. If everyone posts a little something about what they're listening to, then I think it's a good post.

Megatoast has 2,384 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Megatoast  

Old 04-03-2007

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

I think it was fine until Slave and Random started posting in it again, after that it basically became them two just +1ing one after another. There was one page where it was just them posting song titles and only 2 other posters were on the page. That's not good for the thread or for the forum, but most members using it, such as Demon of Legends, Meghan, Hearshot Kid, even Toast Boy, myself, Brim, and almost every other Wayltn regular, did the whole descriibing the song bit and did this since that rule was instated. I didn't see a problem with it until Slave and Random started posted.

And a sidenote to those two: obviously you're not going to agree with me, but show some maturity and don't flame. We can all talk civilly about this.

Last edited by Ace; 04-03-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  

Old 04-03-2007

United States Ghost
haiku d'etat
 Ghost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than you

I wrote a message about this to Redcloak and Tassy, but rather than reword the whole thing I will just post it here:

Quote:
I agree that WAYLTN should not be used as a spam thread, however what I would like to see it is reincarnation is that rules for the amount of times you are allowed to post are changed and enforced as opposed to changing what must constitute the content of a post. What I mean is that I don't think we should be required to write anything more than an artist and song title if we don't wish to. Discussion normally springs up by itself, and most of the WAYLTN posters know each other pretty well. If I see a poster that has similar taste to my own listening to a new band, I'll check the band out without having to make the poster say anything.

This is all kind of ridiculous anyway as CC has tons of threads/posts that have no substance when even a mere artist - song post in WAYLTN can go a long way in broadening someone's musical horizons.
All I feel that should be done, if anything, is to enforce rules regulating how many posts we may have per number of posts. I don't think we should be forced to write anything about what we're listening to if we don't feel inclined to.

Ghost has 2,747 Posts

this little light of mine, shine bright and blind the reaper's eyes
thanks Mtank for the sig!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ghost  

Old 04-03-2007

United States hearshot kid
[A --> B] Life
 hearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to leadhearshot kid was born to lead

I thought it was badly spammed. I don't know if anyone ever actually enforced the six-post rule or not. I've been an advocate of a certain requirement of commentary about music for one to post in WAYLTN since before it went to the current system. I think WAYLTN is a fundamentally great idea, but honestly, no one cares about "Song-Artist". Only once you have something, anything to say about your music does WAYLTN hold any value.

I propose total abolition of "Song-Artist" posts, combined with a minimum two complete sentences of discussion or commentary per post. Also, lyrics do not count toward the two sentences.

Just a thought.

hearshot kid has 2,499 Posts

Je leverai les yeux a toi
J'ai change cent foi de nom
Je leverai les yeux a toi
Je n'ai pas d'espoir.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to hearshot kid  

Old 04-03-2007

United States Demon of Legends
BF Member
 Demon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the rough

Brim, Tassy, and Wonderchimp; you guys all know how I feel about it, there is no purpose to re-post it, but just keep it in mind when you are considering what to do about WAYLTN.

I personally have used the thread as a means of talking about my music, learning about other types of music that I would have never listened to/heard of otherwise. I think that it has the potential to be a wonderful and useful thread if everyone puts some more effort into their posts. I think that it is harsh to abolish the artist-song posts, but I would really like to see them gone; and replaced with actual content, because without actually content I just consider it to be spam since the posts don't really "do" anything. (yes I know I have probably done artist-song posts before, sorry)

If anyone was to agree with me about considering artist-song posts spam, then artist-song posts shouldn't be allowed in accordance to the rules of A&E:
Quote:
4. No Spamming / trolling.

We do not tolerate spam at all. This includes posting comments which include complete nonsense or intimidate, promote or generate hatred or flames among members. Users who spam will not only be banned, but will also be reported to their ISP. Have some nonsense to talk about? Chit Chat is there for you. Outside of CC, spamming is out of the question. Also refrain from using "owned", "pwned", or "shut the fuck up" pictures, these do not contribute to discussions and should not be used in Arts and Entertainment - and are hence considered spam as well.
I think that WAYLTN can be good and I hope that there are some rules that are added and that the rules are enforced. That is just me, and I really can't wait until it gets back opened!

Now I am on the air (check my sig)

Demon of Legends has 504 Posts

~!tuO ecaeP~
Archers in your arches, raise your fingers for one last salute... And bleed this skyline dry. Your history is mine. ~Funeral For A Friend

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Demon of Legends Send a message via MSN to Demon of Legends  

Old 04-03-2007

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Erwin, shut up. Not that I don't love those two guys but they were I'm sure warned for their spamming and kept it up, can't deny that that wasn't spam dude.

Turning it into a nazi thread is pointless, honestly just ask posters to use some sort of maturity in their posting, obviously it's a +1 thread but at the same time it's also a great place to learn about new music. Use a warning system, don't limit the amount of posts but ask posters to use the thread in moderation and if you feel they are going overboard then warn em, they continue to cross the line then you can slap down a sort of 'wayltn curfew' so to speak (limits their maximum posts per day' if they keep going overboard ban em for a bit, and if you really want to put it in a sub-forum so you can limit access to it (require posters to request access then take it away if you want to :\)

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 04-03-2007

BF Member
 Demon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the roughDemon of Legends is a jewel in the rough

I agree, I don't want it to be a "nazi" thread, and I like the idea of having a warning system. I don't know what sort of "powers" mods/admins have but if there were a way to enforce a limiting of posts. I don't know how I feel about making it a sub-forum, but if it came to it, I am chill with whatever.

I also know that there are a lot of people who think that WAYLTN doesn't matter and that it was fine the way it was or it wasn't a big deal, and I would like to hear opinions from both sides of things (mods/admins included!)

~!tuO ecaeP~
Archers in your arches, raise your fingers for one last salute... And bleed this skyline dry. Your history is mine. ~Funeral For A Friend

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Demon of Legends Send a message via MSN to Demon of Legends  

Old 04-03-2007

United States Ghost
haiku d'etat
 Ghost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than youGhost is clearly better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearshot kid View Post
I thought it was badly spammed. I don't know if anyone ever actually enforced the six-post rule or not. I've been an advocate of a certain requirement of commentary about music for one to post in WAYLTN since before it went to the current system. I think WAYLTN is a fundamentally great idea, but honestly, no one cares about "Song-Artist". Only once you have something, anything to say about your music does WAYLTN hold any value.

I propose total abolition of "Song-Artist" posts, combined with a minimum two complete sentences of discussion or commentary per post. Also, lyrics do not count toward the two sentences.

Just a thought.
Why should we have to write some contrived bullshit just to satisfy a requirement?

For example, let's say I see Toast listening to a mewithoutYou song. I'm thinking nice dude, mwY rocks. And then I notice that its not a song I recognize, so I head over to google, audioscrobbler, amazon, or whatever, and discover that mwY have released a new album.

Where in there does that require him to post something other than an artist - song? How does Toast adding in something like, "This song is great, mwY write some amazing lyrics" or anything else change the purpose of the thread? It exists to tell other people what you are listening to

Ghost has 2,747 Posts

this little light of mine, shine bright and blind the reaper's eyes
thanks Mtank for the sig!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ghost  

Old 04-03-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country mixx
Have a nice day...
 mixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than you

Meh, you've closed one of the few threads that was keeping me here.

I don't give a shit about post count,make the posts in the thread not count, like the NPC forum, So that way the " omg you guys are only posting there to increase your post count" bitches can shut the fuck up. I know people post for the sake of posting, but I don't give a fuck about those retards who think some number on an internet forum will make them cool, they can go die in a fire for all I care. Gah...

Fuckers.. closed the only good thread in this dump.

mixx has 6,270 Posts

Take thee this thing covered with that stuff and give it unto that guy, that he may do things with it.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to mixx Send a message via Yahoo to mixx 

Old 04-03-2007

BF Member

I have never heard of mwY and if Toast wrote more than "this son is great, mwY write some amazing lyrics" Then I probably still wouldn't know about them. That is why Toast should write a little more about them, maybe provide a you tube video or let me know a good song that should get me started into mwY.

And don't write some contrived bullshit, write your thoughts on the song, why you like it, how you started listening to it, some sort of funny story that involves the song, background on the artist/band, your favorite lyrics and why, other bands to check out if you like a certain band, info on upcoming albums and other peoples views on the current or new album, news about their tour or certain events regarding the band, interesting facts about the band, band history, band members, something unique about the artist/genre/band/singer.

The point is to add more than the artist-song so that others don't have to go search all over the web or whatever, but that there is a post that contains some meaning and substance, artist-song has no meaning or substance.

I think that the title; WAYLTN, poses a lot of the confusion; What Are You Listening To Now = artist song. I am not up for changing the name or anything, but I can see why there would be the misconception. I just don't get anything from reading artist-song, it's hard for me to look at that and seem remotely interested and half the time I go "cool..." and that is all, but I think that if there was actual discussion then I still might go "cool..." but at least I would know something about the band or song or genre.

Not directed at you Ghost and you either Toast, just using examples for discussion.

~!tuO ecaeP~

Old 04-04-2007

United States Reservoir
In need of a Sanitarium
 Reservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightened

Well, personally, I though the whole Artist - Song title was okay. I used it on a regular basis. If somebody doesn't know an artist or song, then they can look it up instead of being lazy bums. I mean, it doesn't have to merit adding +1 to my post count, but honestly, it was called WAYLTN for a reason. If you want information about a band or song, then why not make a sub-thread which directly ties to WAYLTN thread itself - one where, if anyone has something to say about song/artist that somebody posts, then they can ask for/give their opinions of/discuss about that particular song/artist.

In summery, I say:
1) No post made in the WAYLTN thread should count.
2) A sub-thread should be made for people who want to discuss music listed by posts in the WAYTLN thread.

My two cents, of course.

Reservoir has 912 Posts

"Those who always listen do not experience everything."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyGal View Post
God, people think I'm He-Man with tits.
DOOM Forever!
||Xanga||

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Reservoir Send a message via Yahoo to Reservoir 

Old 04-04-2007

United States Pike
The SCV of Death
 Pike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud ofPike has much to be proud of

I would just make the rules something like: "For every post you must also add something about your song/artist to contribute to the discussion. It cannot be something like "I love this song" and that's it."

That way, you're not setting down any hard requirements (like "two sentences" or whatever).

If people continue to spam the thread then make it so posts in that thread don't count.

I should also add here that I always found the "You may only post once every six posts" thing somewhat unwieldy, for example sometimes when counting to see how many posts it's been since yours you'd have to go back a page or whatever. Not a big deal in and of itself but it would be nice if it could be improved. Maybe something like "You may have two posts on one page", although I'm not sure if everyone views the default number of posts per page so that might not work... just throwing some ideas around though.

Going back to the content thing, I suppose you could also make a template for people to follow in their posts, something like:
Song:
Artist:
Comments:
Rating/recommendation:

You know, something like that, although maybe it's a bit too strict for what I always saw as a nice laid-back thread, but it's an idea.

Last edited by Pike; 04-04-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Pike has 1,000 Posts

StarCraft Newbie Since 2000/BlizzForums Lurker Since April 2003

Sig by Mtank! | Oh, and I'm a "she". Because I seem to get called "he" a lot. =P

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Pike Send a message via MSN to Pike Send a message via Yahoo to Pike 

Old 04-04-2007

United States Slave
Quit funkin with my head
 Slave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatnessSlave has ascended to greatness

exactly, like chaos already said it's not 'Post what you're listening to right now and talk about it', its 'What are you listening to now?'. it is, by nature, a +1 thread. and theres nothing fuckin wrong with that! shove it up your ass ace, i dont know about you but i have gotten a very considerable amount of new music JUST because i see different members are listening to the same band all the time, that kind of tells me something. i dont need an essay about the song they're listening to.

Slave has 6,577 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Slave  

Old 04-04-2007

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

Meh though I'm not as active in it as I used to I think its fine just don't go overboard. I liked seeing what people are listening to but if I wanted to hear more about I would ask. I have found good music from reading what others are listening to but it would get time consuming if every post was a story of the song. It bothers me not people just use it to spam shouldn't mods be on that? I mean thats there job isn't it? stop them from doing it. I mean I understand posting in it a good bit but you and the mods know when its too much its just personal responsibility.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 
Closed Thread