Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-04-2008

United States zergburger
BF Member
 zergburger is a jewel in the roughzergburger is a jewel in the roughzergburger is a jewel in the rough
Default StarCraft 2's potential addiction on PS3

PSU Editorial: StarCraft 2's potential addiction on PS3

Link: PSU.com

Before I begin, I would like to note that I was inspired to write this article after reading a thread on popular gaming forum, Neogaf. The original StarCraft being one of my favorite games of all-time, I can only wish and hope that Blizzard Entertainment would consider a port of the sequel to the PS3. This feature will explain why the PlayStation 3 is a perfect match for StarCraft 2 and what rumors lead me to believe that Blizzard is already developing for consoles.

However, in the end, you have to look at it for what it is. Blizzard has only announced StarCraft 2 for PC and Mac, and stated they have no plans as of yet to port it to other platforms. It's only a fanboy's dream that there will ever be a Real Time Strategy title as great as StarCraft 2 for the PlayStation 3. Keep your fingers crossed, and maybe, just maybe, Blizzard will grace us with their presence on the PS3.

To get started, here is a quick list of reasons why the PlayStation 3 is a good home for StarCraft 2:
- The free and flexible PlayStation Network
- Keyboard/mouse support
- Built in hard drive

Now many people may feel strongly against a PS3 version, pointing out the history of StarCraft ports, and the last attempt done on the N64. However, since then, consoles have evolved, providing mouse and keyboard support for many of their games. One of the reasons the port of the original StarCraft was such a flop was due to the awkward controller configuration of the N64. With the PlayStation 3, gamers can find different brands of keyboards and mouse both affordable and easy to configure to the system.

The idea would be to have StarCraft 2 bundled with a keyboard and mouse, similar to that of Warhawk with the Jabra Bluetooth headset, or The Eye of Judgment with the PS Eye. Also, there could be a separate version sold, with just the game by itself, for those who already have a keyboard and mouse. The reason I would say to have StarCraft 2 require a mouse and keyboard is simple, you CAN'T play an RTS (Real Time Strategy) properly without them.

An example of a great keyboard and mouse set up that could come bundled with the game is the Logitech Cordless Mediaboard (shown above) built specifically for the PlayStation 3. Using Bluetooth technology the mediaboard allows for quick set up and the ease to move anywhere the gamer need be when playing. Also, as you see in the image above, there is a touch pad built into the keyboard making a table or hard surface for a mouse unnecessary.

Moving on.

In my opinion, one of the best features about StarCraft was its map editor, also known as StarEdit. This program gave users the ability to create their own maps, developing campaigns or multiplayer scenarios using terrain tools and trigger commands. Having this tool created unlimited playability for both online and offline players as every time you played the game, you could have a different experience. With StarCraft 2, I can only expect that Blizzard has evolved what they provided in StarEdit to something similar or greater than what is provided in their WarCraft 3 map editor.

Now what does the map editor have to do with the PlayStation 3? If Blizzard could provide something similar to what Epic Games did with Unreal Tournament 3, StarCraft 2 could allow users to develop, download, and install new maps onto their PS3 hard drive.

In addition, having a built in hard drive gives gamers the ability get the latest patches. A great thing Blizzard has always been known for is their continuous support for their games, with the original StarCraft having a total of 20 patches (v1.07-v1.15.2). If there are bugs, unit balancing issues, or new features they wanted to add, Blizzard can count on every PS3 user having hard drives to install the newest updates.

Furthermore, according to SCEA, the open platform policy of PlayStation Network would allow Blizzard the freedom they want in the development of online/network services. This means that Blizzard could essentially provide BattleNet over the PSN, with custom settings specific to PS3 users. So whether it be a new patch or permitting gamers to host their maps and mods online, Blizzard could run a modified version BattleNet through the flexibility of the PlayStation Network.

So after looking at why the PlayStation 3 fits the mold for StarCraft 2, you may ask, does all this even matter? Is it even possible that Blizzard is developing for the PS3? Sadly, all that has been officially announced is PC and Mac versions, however there is plenty of evidence to make us believe that if not StarCraft 2, Blizzard is definitely working on something for console platforms.

To begin, let's start with something small. Back in July of 2006, Blizzard posted a job listing for a Senior Producer. In the job description it was asked that the person have experience in shipping at least one AAA game in a producer role for Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, or GameCube. Then underneath that, Blizzard posted a preferred plus for job, asking that the producer have localization experience on a shipped console title; Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii production experience.

If you look at the date for the job posting, this would have been during the pre-production of StarCraft 2. Now Blizzard has stated they have three projects in the works, 2 announced (StarCraft 2, WoW Expansion), and an unannounced title (rumored to be called "Hydra").

In January 2007, a statement made by Itzik Ben Bassat, VP of Business Development for Blizzard, helps us to believe that Blizzard wants to do more than just PC and Mac developement.

"...We're talking with Microsoft, we're talking with Sony and we're evaluating whether we want each project to be more than PC or not. As consoles provide something increasingly similar to a PC-****online experience, they become closer to what Blizzard is all about," he said.

Now if you look at Blizzard Entertainment's history you will see that they have not always been a PC only developer. Such titles as WarCraft II and Diablo were ported to the PlayStation. Even StarCraft was apparently on its way to the PS1, but Blizzard pulled back and moved it to the N64. Up until Diablo II and WarCraft 3, Blizzard developed for multiple platforms, including everything from the SNES (The Lost Vikings and Blackthorne) to the PS2 and Xbox (StarCraft: Ghost).

Lastly, the recent Activision Blizzard merger may help push console development for Blizzard's future titles. In the official press release, Robert Kotick, Activision's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated how the merger would help strengthen Activision Blizzard to become the world's largest and most profitable publisher.

"With Blizzard's successful franchises, such as World of Warcraft, StarCraft and an exciting pipeline of yet-to-be announced titles, Vivendi Games' and Blizzard's management team will join with Activision's strong and experienced leaders to become an even more powerful force for innovation in online and offline interactive entertainment across a wide range of platforms," he said.

So even though that may be a stretch, Blizzard is now part of a much bigger organization, they may look at entering the console market to open up new opportunities. Also, with a reported $1.51 billion in 2007 game sales for World of WarCraft alone, it's not like Blizzard doesn't have the money to fund multiplatform development. Yet another thought could be that Blizzard focuses on PC and Mac support, while Activision and other studios provide the ports. It is folly to think that Vivendi and Activision Blizzard wouldn't capitalize on the console market.

zergburger has 3 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

Croatia ZergMcNugget
404The Error of the Beast
 ZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supremeZergMcNugget reigns supreme

LOL ZergBurger
+rep 4 name
Meet Your Older Brother ZergMcNugget- The Spam Knight
Nuff off topic.

RTS on PS3 or other console sounds stupid to me but if PS3 would come with some USB plugs for Mouse and Keyboard Everything is possible.

Plus they should Fix Graphic. Its WAAAAAAAY too bad.(Don't mind I only played a bit on PS2) So some improving of resolution and it would be an quite nice thing RTS on PS3.

So I say its good idea for Blizzard

ZergMcNugget has 862 Posts

If atheism is religion than bycicles are type of cars.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to ZergMcNugget  

Old 02-04-2008

United States StanMarsh
BF Member
 StanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortals

I have a keyboard and mouse for my PS3, and the system could certainly handle the graphics.
Hell, thi'd be THE way for me to buy two copies. I'll be getting anew comp so one copy for that and one copy for my PS3, which I'm around far more often.

StanMarsh has 254 Posts

http://www.south-park.is/kosningar2004/stan_election04.gif

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Blizzard has said that all of the console team is now working inside different teams and that they have abandoned all console development. It's not going to happen. And not to mention the insane development costs for the PS3.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 02-04-2008

United States vIsitor
BF Member
 vIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightened

The problem with the PS3 is that its a really unruly platform to code games for; thats why it has so few unique titles, comparatively speaking, to its cheaper competitors.

I won't disagree that the PS3, being the most powerful console, would be the best choice for a SCII console port (if there ever is one). However, it would be far easier to port the game to, say, an XBox 360, which is really just a PC in disguise. (and don't get me started on Nintendo; I love their games, but their consoles would choke on StarCraft--controller issues aside, StarCraft 64 was so laggy as to be almost unplayable).

There is no penguin level!

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

India Lord Kungai
Fury of the Swarm
 Lord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of win

Down with consoles! Up with computers!

On a side note, I wonder how it would be to play SC2 on a Microsoft Surface. That would probably be so awesome that words could not describe its awesomeness. I mean, you could just randomly press the screen with all your fingers and get >1000 APM...

Lord Kungai has 1,712 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

Australia Waves
or maybe particles
 Waves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to all

I wouldn't really mind a console port of StarCraft 2 (after the main release is finished with of course). As others pointed out, it's probably more plausible for the XBox 360 rather than as a PS3 exclusive. Or they might do it for both.

Overall, though, it seems unlikely. I think they're more likely to do that kind of thing for some other new game which is designed from the ground up (engine included) for portability between the consoles and PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kungai View Post
On a side note, I wonder how it would be to play SC2 on a Microsoft Surface. That would probably be so awesome that words could not describe its awesomeness. I mean, you could just randomly press the screen with all your fingers and get >1000 APM...
...and none of it effective. :P

Waves has 2,550 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

Afghanistan warrior6
With The Sons Of Korhal
 warrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to all

but the ps3 sucks worst of the 3 consoles if i remember correctly and keyboard and mouse are also available for the 360. 360 also has a much better online system that everyone gets because of how great it is. Xbox live > ps3 online and a wii port would also be more unique with their mouse type controller and keyboard.

as the OP said "fanboy dream"

warrior6 has 1,421 Posts

STOP BITCHING IN YOUR SIGNATURE
don't add this to your signature if you agree because then you would be bitching in your signature, dumbass

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

United States loath42
BaneLing Drop FTW!
 loath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortalsloath42 is a god among mere mortals

its a good idea

but unless they let you use a mouse and keyboard, it sucks
RTS on consuls have always been a bad idea in my mind

loath42 has 130 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

United States zergburger
BF Member
 zergburger is a jewel in the roughzergburger is a jewel in the roughzergburger is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior6 View Post
but the ps3 sucks worst of the 3 consoles if i remember correctly and keyboard and mouse are also available for the 360. 360 also has a much better online system that everyone gets because of how great it is. Xbox live > ps3 online and a wii port would also be more unique with their mouse type controller and keyboard.

Yeah, but StarCraft's main support is Asia, more importantly South Korea. Since the Xbox 360 has no ground there, the PS3 would be a better candidate.

zergburger has 3 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

Sony Fanboy nuff said

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2008

United States GordonFreeman
Messiah
 GordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to all

Quote:

Take your Sony hating elsewhere fanboy.

GordonFreeman has 701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to GordonFreeman  

Old 02-05-2008

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

I think exporting StarCraft 2 to Xbox 360 or PS3 is a good idea; Blizzard has more than enough money to export the game to the console platform. I'm sure Blizzard did mention about being more financially stronger and powerful than before the merge with Activision which can lend a hand in developing the game for consoles as Activision has a number of series on consoles (Guitar Hero and Call of Duty to name a few). The gaming industry and console platforms are evolving. Blizzard should try to seize as much opportunity as they can to fully exploit and put out the potential of the game.

Sure there's people who have computers, but not everyone has a high-end computer or a decent one to boot. Utilizing the technology and standard capacity of the PS3 and Xbox 360, every owner of StarCraft 2 for either platform can enjoy the game without lag issues (provided that Blizzard doesn't try to overexploit the console capacity that it can't actually handle it sometimes). There's a standard definite specs that no one has an advantage over another for online experience; aside from the size of television screens.

On the discussion of which platform, I support both the Xbox 360 and PS3. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. People need to realize that how things work and should work is changing, especially with technology.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-05-2008

United States StanMarsh
BF Member
 StanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortalsStanMarsh is a god among mere mortals

Quote:

You're almost as likely to get a freakin' Cell Phone version of SCII as a Wii version. That was the most insane thing I've ever heard. And which console is better is a matter of preference: My Wii is collecting dust while my PS3 is weeping because of how much I use it.

StanMarsh has 254 Posts

http://www.south-park.is/kosningar2004/stan_election04.gif

pm.gif   

Old 02-06-2008

Afghanistan warrior6
With The Sons Of Korhal
 warrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergburger View Post
Yeah, but StarCraft's main support is Asia, more importantly South Korea. Since the Xbox 360 has no ground there, the PS3 would be a better candidate.
if ur gonna make it so that is a console release, y not release it for both?? y not go the whole 9 yards and reap in even more profit instead of stingely releasing it ps3 and pc only...it may attract asians but blizzard wants to expand their influence with N. America. especially starcraft franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Take your Sony hating elsewhere fanboy.
i dont hate sony, i loved the ps2. it was a great system. ps3 just plain sucks and the only keeping it alive is asian culture which remains loyal to something till death no matter how crap it is and hates microsoft no matter how good it is. they do this after they log in to windows on and write about how much microsoft sucks. sony is great, but the ps3 sucks. its confused as to whether it wants to be an entertainment player or a video game console and it isnt very good at either role

warrior6 has 1,421 Posts

STOP BITCHING IN YOUR SIGNATURE
don't add this to your signature if you agree because then you would be bitching in your signature, dumbass

pm.gif