Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat > Online Roleplaying Forum

Online Roleplaying Forum Online Roleplaying Created By and For Our Users.

Old 01-07-2007

South Korea Starpie
Formerly Eidoanthanix
 Starpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suggestion for the Roleplaying Board

The Blizzforum RP Boards have always had been a little dead, of course, when I was here. Its always struggled from dead to half-dead. Yet, I dream of a future where they're are multiple active Roleplaying games, and when I actually do something . Like WB RP Forum, jackass took everything .

Anyways, I want to know if any idea you have for improving this forum :P.

NO stupid Ideas plz.

Starpie has 3,701 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-07-2007

United States Meghan
I'll google your yahoo.
 Meghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than you
Default Re: Suggestion for the Roleplaying Board

Well, I used to be a member of anoter forum that had an RP board and they did things a little different. In order to start a new game, one could not just post one up. One had to send the story to the mod of the board and get it approved before posting it. Also, they only had maybe 1-2 games going on at a time because they lasted for so long.

Also, the stories we did there required more than just a 2 paragraph reply. Our responses ran for about a page and a half on Microsoft Word.

So, since most of the "dead" comes from the crappy games that people post (myself included) why not make it so no one can post one until approved by a mod.

Another suggestion would be, along with the IC game thread we make an OOC game thread for each game where people can discuss their characters, ask questions, come up with solutions to a problem, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Meghan has 9,701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Meghan Send a message via MSN to Meghan  

Old 01-07-2007

United States Reservoir
In need of a Sanitarium
 Reservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightened

I like that, Meghan. Do you think we should also make it so that all RP's are closed RP's, with sign-up threads and the works? That way, you would know how many people were playing. On the downside, you wouldn't have new characters jumping into the fray, equaling a less stimulated, less fluidic, and less dynamic RP. But it would remove the need for quick explanations (when people jump in not knowing what's going on), plus you wouldn't have to deal with noobs jumping in and screwing up a good RP.

Also, what about a Standard Ruleset for the forum itself? Something which carries the basic, core principles of RP'ing - No godmodding, flaming, et cetera. We could allow RP makers to broaden the ruleset by adding more, depending on their RP. Also, with Mod approval, the RP maker could even remove a rule or two for a particular RP - given he/she has a specific and legitimate reason.

Finally, I say we have a massive RP dedicated to training noobs into becoming better RP'ers. Something in which it's completely open, only the Standard Ruleset applies, and it's everyone does their own thing. We can have the Mods/Experienced RP'ers act as trainers - using their characters (or not) to gauge and guide the newcomers. It would help noobs alot more if they were shown what and how to do it, not just simply told.

Reservoir has 912 Posts

"Those who always listen do not experience everything."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyGal View Post
God, people think I'm He-Man with tits.
DOOM Forever!
||Xanga||

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Reservoir Send a message via Yahoo to Reservoir 

Old 01-07-2007

United States Kaze
Back and Inactive
 Kaze doesn't suck

I'm sure the lack of people was partially due to the fact the BF database regularly pwnt itself.

I've also been getting piles of spybot warnings whenever I pop into this forum, though that may just be my computer committing digital seppuku.

Kaze has 4 Posts

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (AKA Book 2 of The Guide)

pm.gif   

Old 01-07-2007

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

I like the occ thread about each rp game.

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension  

Old 01-07-2007

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofAscension View Post
I like the occ thread about each rp game.

~LoA
You've lost me.

I'm sure its not only the initial lost of interest and activity on the RPG Forum, but the members as well. It just feels awkward not to roleplay for 6 months and survive that period. For some reason I just don't know...

Suggestions, well not much I can offer since I wasn't here for a few months or so.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 01-08-2007

Antarctica Doombringer64v3.0
Legend
 Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora Orthodox View Post
You've lost me.
I thought it was pretty clear, but it would be a thread where people could discuss current games and or characters and offer any advise/critics (Similar to the RPG Development thread). It's a good idea, but I would like to see it combined with the RPG Development thread. One reason is to cut down on the stickies, and hopefully so people don't just ignore the current one.

Along the lines of Stickies, can we cut back on them? "Magic and You" can be destickied, or combined with "Rpg Forum Rules and Guide." The offline thread can be discarded all together, even if people posted there the best way to announce your absence is with a Private Message to the game's creator. I'd also like to see the contact list go since Private Messages and IRC are more then adequate, and if people really want contact info they can ask for it (further more if someone wanted to announce contact info it can be done be editing the profile).

Now here is where I'm going to present some really wacky ideas so brace yourselves. First let's not compare ourselves to WB. If WB's board is alive then I'll take death any day of the week. Sure they have a lot of RPs, but has anybody taken the time to read them? Well this may come as a shock, but one BF game is easily worth 10 WB games. Their stories are clichéd, and the characters are painfully flat. These are not role models so let's move away from the twisted mess of half-baked ideas that is WB. (Best thing to happen to this board? We got rid of Geno, that's right I said it.)

Quote:
So, since most of the "dead" comes from the crappy games that people post (myself included) why not make it so no one can post one until approved by a mod.
Okay, let's brain storm for a second. We have a problem with a lack of members (which isn't really a problem we have plenty of members) and you want to close the borders for all new blood. Has it occurred to anyone that this elitist attitude is what drives people away? Xeo, and mixx are great example of two people who are eager to post, but this inner circle attitude is exactly what prevents them from doing so. (Sorry if that sounds hostile, but I’m only criticizing the idea since at least one person threw support behind it. That and I’m a bastard.)

Okay this brings me to my next three suggestions.
1. Stop attacking those who you consider "noobs" and simply lead by example.
2. Spend less time bitching about how this forum is "dead" and redirect that energy into your games.
3. And this is the craziest thing of all, take a little responsibility for yourself and stop relying on the mods to fix everything. That means if you want good RPs make good RPs, instead of complaining about bad posts make good posts and don't make the mods do unnecessary and tedious work.

But if you go with the mod approval route, and I'm sure you guys will, do me a favor and change graphics up top to include some Nazi flags.

Doombringer64v3.0 has 11,412 Posts

Killer Idea
Doombringer64 hates his wife.

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2007

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

I agree with Doom. He's arguements are both enthusiastic and well thought-out.

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension  

Old 01-08-2007

United States Meghan
I'll google your yahoo.
 Meghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer64 View Post
But if you go with the mod approval route, and I'm sure you guys will, do me a favor and change graphics up top to include some Nazi flags.
The mod approval is to keep threads like "Think of a good name for my RPG game" from popping up everywhere.

This forum could be fleshed out and made great again, like it was back in the days of PvR if people would consider what they are posting and how long a game could last. Posting a game based on a 2 hour long movie won't last very long because 1) it takes away the imagination and 2) everyone already knows what is going to happen so they don't join.

As far as the Nazi flags, well that's just ridiculous. AO Forums does things the way I've suggested and not only do they get newbies joining and learning all the time (it was the first place I joined an RP and learned alot from them) but their games last longer, are well thought out, and are enjoyed by all. I don't see it as being a Nazi. I see it as a screening process. It is a mods job to clean up a mess if it occurs, like spam and such, so why not make Eido's life a little easier and just bypass the cleanup and go straight to the "yes" or "no" button?

Meghan has 9,701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Meghan Send a message via MSN to Meghan  

Old 01-08-2007

United States Kaze
Back and Inactive
 Kaze doesn't suck

Note: I've established the spyware problem is probably just my computer going nuts.

As an on-topic thing, I've always thought that having a subforum dedicated to workshopping and developing RPG ideas, intrest checks, ooc threads, advice threads/aricles, and all the other stuff that is RPG related and needs a place to go but shouldnt be clogging space in the forum itself.

Also, Moderator approval usually tends to simply slow things down at best, since the people that post RPs that have maybe two sentences of desription are usually the types that don't obey regulations well anyways.

Kaze has 4 Posts

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (AKA Book 2 of The Guide)

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2007

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

PvR was never a 'great' rp. Sure it was fun but most people just posted nonsensical bullshit. We have some great rpers but not a lot of commitment possibly because there are so many damned rps. (I'd like to take this time to apologize to Doom for not posting in his rp before I continue, I didn't have the time to post I do now when he was pming all the planning info. (any chance I can catch up and join in?... bah I'll send him a PM))

Anyways the problem is that half the rps are the standard, grab a katana and stab shit rp. And look cool with cliche's whilst doing it. While the others are too complex for the people who sign up for the zombie and cop vs alien/robber/indians/nazi's/zerg/whatever rps. It's hard for people to make the jump from "Robby wheeled around the corner, blindly firing behind him to hold back his pursuers. Jumping, somersaulting midair and springing off the wall he gracefully mounted the chainlink fence ahead of him. Kicking the grate off the nearest sewer he dove in and waited for (insert someone elses character here) to come rescue him." to some of the posts that Sterling and Doom did in rps like Vampire the Masquerade and doom's latest rp. (Or for that matter some of the posts in Crimson's last rp before another typical Crimson dissapearance (Pixels, Meghan, etc.)

There are really only two suggestions I can give:

1) Limit the amount of rps, thus forcing the newer rpers to read the posts of the older more accomplished players. This is how I got 'decent' at rping (personally I think I suck still but people seem to think otherwise)

2) Be patient: I know its fun to flesh out an entire year in an rp in one day but multiple back and forth posting only hurts the game as it takes away from the quality. I wish we still had Masquerade just so people could read Sterling Rat's posts. He didn't make many but every single one had me amazed...

Last edited by KP; 01-08-2007 at 01:46 AM.
KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 01-08-2007

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Alright after reading your guys posts I remembered what the situation here was. Like what Killer-Pengiun said in some sort of manner; there's too many action RPs that involves and revolves solely on action, blood, gore, killing, fighting and the lack of a fine developed RP. Not all of us are technical experts on actual weaponries (thus I never joined any one of those RPs) and fighting is not all that indepths.

Also there has been a rise in crappy politics. Too many of this and that, not even of the original thing. Adventure-based RPs tend to be confusing for members if people aren't specific enough and aren't thinking of using their imaginations to expand and continue the story. At least that's what I think, but what we need is something new or attracting to someone's interest for commitments.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 01-08-2007

South Korea Starpie
Formerly Eidoanthanix
 Starpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond reputeStarpie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas and keep them flooding in.

The OOC thread is a great idea, it would clear the clutter in some of thread. Not only that, but allow a discussion about the story and which direction to go, further, it would be helpful to the lazy bastards who don't know what PM's are.

Well, Meghan your suggestion for an approval system is noted. But im a bit apprehensive about implementing such a system at this time. It just, the majority of threads that we have is two. I want to get the forum a bit more "active'.

Doom, the approval system doesn't mean "OMFG NAZIZ." It would shut out crap like this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog
History: When I was a young lad I be put to school and a good school it was. One of the best in London. My parants paid top doller for me to get an education but only one thing interested me and it was Pirates. I spent all my free time studing them and learning how to sail, one night I found a Pirate in town and I began speaking with him. He told me that his ship was looking for some new crewmen and I joined. That ship I joined I am now captian of and my crew are the best u can get.
It just helps the forum be less cluttered, you don't want a zillion threads going,
Quote:
Its a battle between people
J.A.S, If you want a standard rule set please be free to create one. Umm leading by example is great. (getting tired )

Actually, I'll comment on anything later. LoA your going to help me :P.

Starpie has 3,701 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2007

United States Reservoir
In need of a Sanitarium
 Reservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightened

Oy vey, me make it? Christ, I may be a decent RP'er, but I figured a mod would take that up. Give me some time, then - I'll need to research the most common rules found in all RP's, both in BF and in other forums...

...great, just what I need, a forum-based homework assignment...as if I did my normal homework...

Reservoir has 912 Posts

"Those who always listen do not experience everything."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyGal View Post
God, people think I'm He-Man with tits.
DOOM Forever!
||Xanga||

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Reservoir Send a message via Yahoo to Reservoir 

Old 01-08-2007

South Korea Starpie
Formerly Eidoanthanix

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.S. View Post
Oy vey, me make it? Christ, I may be a decent RP'er, but I figured a mod would take that up. Give me some time, then - I'll need to research the most common rules found in all RP's, both in BF and in other forums...

...great, just what I need, a forum-based homework assignment...as if I did my normal homework...
Homework will give you a great foundation for the future, :P. Besides, I have enough trouble doing my own hmwk, Ap Calc Ab, Ap Chem. .....And im failing one of those.

Starpie has 3,701 Posts

pm.gif