Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 02-12-2009

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male
 Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...
Default Formal Debate - Challenges and Suggestions

It's time to have formal, one on one debates in SD. These debates will occur between two opposing individuals and the thread itself will be moderated. No one else will be able to post in the formal debate thread. A spectator thread, however, with a poll, will be setup to comment on the ensuing debate, and to vote on who is the respective winner.

The one on one debates cannot go longer than 10 posts per side. Formal debating must be incredibly civil, focusing on only the issues and not the debater. If anyone deviates from civil discourse in the one on one debates, the debate is over and the opposing party considered the winner.

For the first debates, I would like to see the following pairings and topics:

Kaizen vs. Ben: Ethics and Justice
GenocideAlive and The Hawaiian: The Proper Role of Government

This thread will be used to challenge other individuals and to suggest who you would like to see debate and what topic to discuss.

Post your challenges and suggestions here!

Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

"Liberty, or Freedome, signifieth (properly) the absence of opposition; (by Opposition, I mean externall Impediments of motion) and may be applied no lesse to Irrationall, and Inanimate creatures, that to Rationall.

And according to this proper, and generally received meaning of the word, a free man, is he, that in those things, which by his strength and wit he is able to do, is not hindered to doe what he has a will to."

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan.

So close... Yet so far.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Kaizen  

Old 02-12-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...
Default Re: Formal Debate - Challenges and Suggestions

That sounds like a lot of fun. However we are doing formal debates I think we should also try to keep the quote-farming style that SD uses to a minimum in order to make those debates more readable for spectators.

Perhaps one person should make an opening statement of their ethical view, then the next should make an opening statement of their ethical view without it being a direct response, and then the first can respond, etc. I can't start tonight or tomorrow because I will be partying all night tonight, then at school tomorrow and partying all night tomorrow night, but Saturday would be good for me.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 02-12-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

I had a similar idea, but I didn't want to get accused of usurping Neo's position or trying to flagrantly "act as a mod" after I'd already said I did not reliably possess the capacity. In that vein, I think it's a really good idea.

However, one of my biggest initial concerns for this was rules. Formal debates typically have "in-house" rules that can vary wildly from informal speak-easy type speech to moderated interruptions where someone making any claims that are false will be moderated and penalized. What would be our rulings? Simply whoever is the most convincing? This gave me a lot of problems, because without clear well-thought out rules, it will open a giant drama every time something is actioned.

Additionally, I had a few problems determining what penalties and varying degrees. If you make a remark that someone's position is foolish, would that be cause to close the debate? If they said someone's position is ridiculous? Are there to be post length limits? Acceptable digression? Formats? Time limits?

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but these are questions that I had when I was considering putting something like this together. We could certainly "play it by ear", but that seemed prohibitively open to complaining. I'm willing to go with it.

It's also worth noting that for each debate, there should be an "official" thread for the debate and a "discussion" thread. It'd be cool if we advertised in the other forums a little, too. Get some new people in on it, get the audience (and future participants) involved. That was outreach type stuff that's maybe best saved for later, but again, stuff I was thinking about with the concept of formal debates. I like the idea, I'm game. I'm not sure that the topic is the greatest, but I guess you gotta be fairly broad.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

I like the idea but I think the voting part may become a bit silly. The concept of voting is rather arbitrary, whether we are talking about electing the leader of the free world (US president) or whether pepsi or coke is better. Most people are uninformed on the issues and can't be bothered to learn more about them, even when the information is freely available and right in front of their faces.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Didn't we do this a couple years back?

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
I like the idea but I think the voting part may become a bit silly. The concept of voting is rather arbitrary, whether we are talking about electing the leader of the free world (US president) or whether pepsi or coke is better. Most people are uninformed on the issues and can't be bothered to learn more about them, even when the information is freely available and right in front of their faces.
The voting is a way to get people involved and allow them to express their opinion even if they don't want to actually go to the trouble of being in the debate. It's not like it has any real consequences, and encourages people to become more interested/involved in SD.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 02-12-2009

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

Chaos vs. Kaizen/Ben: Foreign Policies

Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  

Old 02-12-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The voting is a way to get people involved and allow them to express their opinion even if they don't want to actually go to the trouble of being in the debate. It's not like it has any real consequences, and encourages people to become more interested/involved in SD.
I'm just saying that whoever is "voted" as the winner often is not the winner. Like Ron Paul for instance, who lost the primaries but won pretty much every debate.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male
 Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
That sounds like a lot of fun. However we are doing formal debates I think we should also try to keep the quote-farming style that SD uses to a minimum in order to make those debates more readable for spectators.

Perhaps one person should make an opening statement of their ethical view, then the next should make an opening statement of their ethical view without it being a direct response, and then the first can respond, etc. I can't start tonight or tomorrow because I will be partying all night tonight, then at school tomorrow and partying all night tomorrow night, but Saturday would be good for me.
Haha okay that sounds good.

I will in the meantime create the thread and present my views on ethics/justice (give my definitions as well) and then you can post on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive
However, one of my biggest initial concerns for this was rules. Formal debates typically have "in-house" rules that can vary wildly from informal speak-easy type speech to moderated interruptions where someone making any claims that are false will be moderated and penalized. What would be our rulings? Simply whoever is the most convincing? This gave me a lot of problems, because without clear well-thought out rules, it will open a giant drama every time something is actioned.
Yeah I know what you mean. The way I see it this will be regulated two ways:

1. Moderator will simply use his best judgement. I think Neo would be good at this, we may not need to make it anymore complicated.
2. The spectator thread will also be expressing "popular justice" by people giving their opinions on the tactics of the debators. I think if someone does a flagrant violation, he'd be quite exposed to criticism in the spectator thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive
Additionally, I had a few problems determining what penalties and varying degrees. If you make a remark that someone's position is foolish, would that be cause to close the debate? If they said someone's position is ridiculous? Are there to be post length limits? Acceptable digression? Formats? Time limits?

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but these are questions that I had when I was considering putting something like this together. We could certainly "play it by ear", but that seemed prohibitively open to complaining. I'm willing to go with it.
I think we're all mature enough to give this some lee-way and correct it accordingly as problems arise. As mentioned, there a few natural measures that will keep things in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian
I thought of this too, but I think the popular opinion being in question would also provide interested debates in the spectator thread. For instance, I doubt I'll hold popular opinion in much of my debates, but it will serve as a good way to get people to discuss my opposing views in the spectator thread even though I may not be winning the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
I think this is the true power of this. So many would likely get involved and it would provide some great enjoyment in SD again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Chaos vs. Kaizen/Ben: Foreign Policies
Golgo is also an option on this one. I think that would be a great debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian
I'm just saying that whoever is "voted" as the winner often is not the winner. Like Ron Paul for instance, who lost the primaries but won pretty much every debate.
That's true but the reason why Ron Paul is so exciting is because he's completely against the grain. I think ideas being at odds with the general opinion will provide very interesting debates.

DE and GA: So you're interested in doing it? Maybe a different topic perhaps?

Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

"Liberty, or Freedome, signifieth (properly) the absence of opposition; (by Opposition, I mean externall Impediments of motion) and may be applied no lesse to Irrationall, and Inanimate creatures, that to Rationall.

And according to this proper, and generally received meaning of the word, a free man, is he, that in those things, which by his strength and wit he is able to do, is not hindered to doe what he has a will to."

So close... Yet so far.

Old 02-12-2009

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

I'm interested in giving this a twirl and I'll tackle any topic.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 

Old 02-12-2009

United States WindowlessHouse
BF Member
 WindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supremeWindowlessHouse reigns supreme

Two debaters with a peanut gallery...sounds like the Ancient Greeks. It's a great idea.

I'm looking forward to following the debate between Kaizen and Ben.

Last edited by WindowlessHouse; 02-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.
WindowlessHouse has 267 Posts

Democratically elected communists and dictators are illegitimate.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WindowlessHouse  

Old 02-12-2009

I'd like to focus on just marijuana for our topic if thats possible, or the war on drugs in general.

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male

I've started the first thread between Ben and myself. Feel free to discuss in the spectating thread.

DE: If GA agrees, one of you start a thread with the same titling I have and decide how to start it off. Mine and Ben's thread starts off with both expressing our views, then I'll address him after he posts his. You guys can decide how to start it.

Anyone want to challenge Cajun? What topics interest you, Cajun?

Last edited by Kaizen; 02-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

So close... Yet so far.

Old 02-13-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

After the first few rounds of debate I'd like to propose an even wilder debate idea. Take two people and don't let them know what the topic is. Pick some sort of hot-topic and then decide which side they are going to debate (think debate club from highschool you don't always get to defend the side you believe in.)

Then make it a 3 post format. Opening, 2, Rebuttal

Or if you'd like a 6 post format. Opening (rebuttal) 2nd post (rebuttal) Closing (rebuttal)

I think keeping it short and sweet allows for this to continue and for people to spend more time coming up with solid material and really trimming it down to - for lack of a better word - a digestible amount that almost all participants can read through relatively quickly and then vote on the winner for and provide critique as well.

Not saying for right away but if this takes off it would make for some fun debates. I'd like to get someone pro weed arguing against it for example... or pro life arguing for abortion...

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-13-2009

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

Quote:
I'd like to get someone pro weed arguing against it for example...
i think i could do that. against someone arguing pro-weed?

Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace