Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-23-2009

United States Philosoraptor
Logos. Alatheia. Theos.
 Philosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than youPhilosoraptor is clearly better than you
Default On the Stupidity of the Press

The Washington Post has never been a beacon of light in this poisonous field of journalism, but today it reached a new low: link

To get straight to the point, the article insinuates that removing the right of due process and habeus corpus from detainees is unjust.

Am I missing something? These are not American citizens, and thus are not protected by the Constitution. They are ununiformed irregulars who should (to my mind) be instantly shot, or at the most be considered prisoners of war: to be held until the conflict is over.

Why on earth should the United States gives its enemies the protections the Constitution gives her citizens? Has the country lost its mind?

Philosoraptor has 2,954 Posts

Faces along the bar
Cling to their average day
The lights must never go out
The music must always play
Lest we should see where we are
Lost in a haunted wood
Children afraid of the night
Who have never been happy or good

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Philosoraptor  

Old 01-23-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

By the way you portrayed it that would make sense. However, reality disagrees with your perceptions. You assume that because they are there, they must be our enemies or they must be terrorists. That is circular logic.

Would it surprise you to know that most detainees have been released, with no charges ever being filed because of lack of evidence? I agree with our Commander in Chiefs' foresight and wisdom, Gitmo should be closed immediately.

Why do you disagree with the principle of Habeus Corpus? It's one of the cornerstones and foundations of our legal system. It's funny how the neoconseravtives have the audacity to criticize shariah law or other practices that are occuring thousands of miles away yet at the same time say that non-Americans should not have the same rights as Americans. A bit of irony to say the least.

You want a real example of the stupidity of the press? Check out this question on FoxNews:

Would you want terrorists in your back yard?

The reign of Bush is over. I welcome the era of a new, intelligent president who commands the respect and admiration of America and the world at large.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

Canada Drakain Zeil
erfolg durch qualität
 Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...

I can't stand most media. It babies you like your're an idiot, and lies out it's ass.

There's two sources that I can sit down an enjoy.

http://www.economist.com/
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/

Drakain Zeil has 11,867 Posts

Faster than lightning
and high as a kite
Hidden Content:

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosoraptor

To get straight to the point, the article insinuates that removing the right of due process and habeus corpus from detainees is unjust.

If we want to be better than the terrorists, we'd give them due process and habeus corpus. A lot of these guys are just pulled off the street and locked up at Gitmo. We should make damn sure they actually are terrorists before executing them.

However, the press is stupid, for a variety of reasons.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-24-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
If we want to be better than the terrorists, we'd give them due process and habeus corpus.
I'm glad you think that terrorists should be free to join up with al-Qaeda again and become al-Qaeda field commander of Yemen, as one ex-Gitmo detainee has.

Quote:
A lot of these guys are just pulled off the street and locked up at Gitmo.
No, they aren't. This isn't 2002. There's only 245 inmates at Guantanamo and they are all very very dangerous terrorists.

Quote:
We should make damn sure they actually are terrorists before executing them.
We already have.

You are throwing out 300 years of law and declaring that war criminals have even more rights than prisoners of war. Prisoners of war don't get due process or habeas corpus. They get to sit around at a prison camp until the war is over. Now war criminals get the right to a trial in the civilian judicial system of the United States, with all the same rights and privileges as American citizens?

When some mass murderer released because of your Messiah's idiot anti-terrorism policies is behind some spectacular terrorist attack, there won't be any defense for you.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

While it is a tempting line of thought to think that by changing the way we deal with war criminals and POWs from the current war on terrorism the impetus for new terrorist recruits will be removed, it just isn't going to happen. They live on lies and deceit, and they can always find some way to spin every move we make into ridiculous dogma for their objectives.

On the media, I generally go to the BBC for my daily news fix. However, if CNN can perfect the new hologram technology and start beaming some of the daily news update MILFs into my home, I might be up for a switch.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

What Bush should have done is reconvene the Nuremberg Trials and use that for the prosecution of terrorists. Get a panel of international jurists and use the rules set down by Nuremberg.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I'm glad you think that terrorists should be free to join up with al-Qaeda again and become al-Qaeda field commander of Yemen, as one ex-Gitmo detainee has.
So, most of them have been released without charge. Yes, I do believe that innocent people should be released without charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
No, they aren't. This isn't 2002. There's only 245 inmates at Guantanamo and they are all very very dangerous terrorists.
Evidence please.

Quote:
We already have.
Evidence please.

Quote:
You are throwing out 300 years of law and declaring that war criminals have even more rights than prisoners of war. Prisoners of war don't get due process or habeas corpus. They get to sit around at a prison camp until the war is over. Now war criminals get the right to a trial in the civilian judicial system of the United States, with all the same rights and privileges as American citizens?
Thats the problem, we haven't established that these are in fact "war criminals," you've simply declared it like Bush and expect everyone else to believe you. We don't.

Quote:
When some mass murderer released because of your Messiah's idiot anti-terrorism policies is behind some spectacular terrorist attack, there won't be any defense for you.
Fearmongering bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
While it is a tempting line of thought to think that by changing the way we deal with war criminals and POWs from the current war on terrorism the impetus for new terrorist recruits will be removed, it just isn't going to happen. They live on lies and deceit, and they can always find some way to spin every move we make into ridiculous dogma for their objectives.
Be that as it may, I think Obama's put a lot more thought into this than Bush ever did. Most foreign policy experts consider Bush to have been a bumbling idiot and the greatest embarassment this country has ever had to deal with. My terrorism and political violence professor (who worked for the state department) said every time Bush opened his mouth it was like a giant facepalm and they would have to go back and apologize for his stupidity (ex: "You're with us or with the terrorists").

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
What Bush should have done is reconvene the Nuremberg Trials and use that for the prosecution of terrorists. Get a panel of international jurists and use the rules set down by Nuremberg.
Exactly. I don't understand why the multitude of other countries out there that have been on the receiving end of terrorism for many more years than us weren't brought in to bring more legitimacy on the world scale.

I suppose the Bush Administration thought that some of these countries denouncement of the Iraqi Invasion ruled them out of participating in the trials.

Mike has 937 Posts

God is, they are,

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris

Quote:
So, most of them have been released without charge. Yes, I do believe that innocent people should be released without charge.
Most of them were released to go to back to jail in their own countries or because it was determined that they posed no further threat. Not that they were innocent.

Quote:
Evidence please.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...side23.article

Quote:
Evidence please.
The only terrorists who the death penalty is being talked about for are Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the planner of September 11th, Ramzi binalShibh, the operational leader of September 11th, and Abu Zubaydah, former no. 3 of al-Qaeda. All of them have mountains of evidence against them, including confessions.

Quote:
Fearmongering bullshit.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sm&btnG=Search
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28800516/

So why don't you take your "fearmongering bullshit" and shove it up your ass?

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets

Put tracking devices into their heads!

Then a predator drone can mop it up nice and easy.

Mike has 937 Posts

God is, they are,

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

Quote:
Most of them were released to go to back to jail in their own countries or because it was determined that they posed no further threat. Not that they were innocent.
They were released because no evidence existed to charge them with a crime, plain and simple. But tell me, how does a terrorists "no longer become a threat?"

Quote:
I asked you for evidence that these 245 detainees were "very very dangerous terrorists." You have failed sir.

Quote:
The only terrorists who the death penalty is being talked about for are Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the planner of September 11th, Ramzi binalShibh, the operational leader of September 11th, and Abu Zubaydah, former no. 3 of al-Qaeda. All of them have mountains of evidence against them, including confessions.
Fine with me, I'm talking about all the innocent people being held with no evidence.

Quote:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sm&btnG=Search
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28800516/

So why don't you take your "fearmongering bullshit" and shove it up your ass?
Sorry but you are mistaken. Only 18 detainees have had direct involvement. The other 43 have a "plausible link with terrorist activities."

It's also interesting how these mysterious tapes always seem to surface at the most logically unsound times. Like when the Democrats are set to win the elections, or when John Kerry is set to win, or the day Obama takes office and closes Gitmo, etc.

pm.gif   

Old 01-24-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
If we want to be better than the terrorists, we'd give them due process and habeus corpus. A lot of these guys are just pulled off the street and locked up at Gitmo. We should make damn sure they actually are terrorists before executing them.
[/color]
I am not here to ridicule you or mock your beliefs, but I would like a better explanation of your viewpoint. I think that it's not uncalled-for, since we're in SD and not Chit Chat.

Why do you think that we owe terrorists due process and habeus corpus?

How do you think that terrorists should be detained, if simply finding them and arresting them is not acceptable?

Who is executing terrorists?

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive
Why do you think that we owe terrorists suspects due process and habeus corpus?
There, I corrected it for you. That should answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive
How do you think that terrorists suspects should be detained, if simply finding them and arresting them is not acceptable?
Finding and arresting them is acceptable, so long as you have a good reason (evidence) to do so. Otherwise there is no reason to believe they are actually terrorists, and they should be set free.

pm.gif   

Old 01-25-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post

Why do you think that we owe terrorists due process and habeus corpus?
To determine if the person on trial is actually a terrorist, just like here in the US. We don't round up random people on the pretense that some of them are murderers or rapists, then lock them up indefinitely without any guarantee of a trial or legal recourse.

Quote:
How do you think that terrorists should be detained, if simply finding them and arresting them is not acceptable?
You treat it like any criminal case; you build up evidence against said person before arresting them. That is the ONLY way we should be treating this situation IMO. Of course I am not a terrorist expert, but I do believe we, the US, should have the legal and moral high ground in these cases.

Quote:
Who is executing terrorists?
I presume this would be the punishment for actual terrorists, no?

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT