Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-12-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Who are you to judge? It can show us how many soldiers are dying and in what ways. It's very educational, so children don't grow up thinking war is fun and games.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Lackey
Forum Lackey
 Lackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whoreLackey is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
Who are you to judge? It can show us how many soldiers are dying and in what ways. It's very educational, so children don't grow up thinking war is fun and games.
What is it teaching to see a dead soldier without the causation behind it? Does a child or adult for that matter need to see a coffin to know that someone is dead? Or is it sensationalism to push an agenda?

Lackey has 12,743 Posts

I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

I think yes. We've become so desensitized to things like war nowdays, and kids grow up thinking it's fun and games. War is very sad and should be avoided at all costs. It's not fun and it's not a game, war is terrorism. It may be justified terrorism, but innocent people are 100% guranteed to die. We should go into life knowing the full consequences of our actions.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
Is there an educational benefit? I don't see one.

I think it would be far more beneficial to describe and perhaps even show footage of soldiers dying in battle. This is educational, even if it is perhaps distasteful. Showing bodies returning from overseas serves no purpose aside from shock value.
When I was in Chicago last weekend I saw a great exhibit (that was recently redone, actually) on the US capture of U-505, a German sub. And I'm so used to glorified war and that sort of thing that I was really shocked to find that despite the overall theme of "our boys did a fucking kick-ass job in capturing this thing," the way the war was depicted was actually depressing, even right down to the musical score that was playing throughout the exhibit.

No point to the story really, just was a reminder that there are many different ways to frame a war.

Last edited by Pizza; 01-12-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums Erwin
dont call me daughter
 Erwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulzErwin did it for teh lulz

The only tragedy of that book, for me anyway, was knowing that the story was unique.

Erwin has 11,880 Posts

the picture, it will remind me

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Erwin  

Old 01-13-2009

United States Meghan
I'll google your yahoo.
 Meghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than you

If The Lord of the Flies, which has been taught in schools for many years, and contains some very graphic violence, is acceptable, I don't see why A Child Called It shouldn't be.

As for truth, I'll reiterate what Nuts pointed out. A story doesn't have to be true to teach a good lesson. Take Dr Seuss for example. The man wrote so many amazing books with wonderful morals, and not a damned one of his stories is true. I mean, come on; An elephant who talks to a whole world of people who live on a speck of dust? A man-sized cat-in-the-hat who wrecks a house and then brings out his Thing 1 and Thing 2 who help make it all better?

Any book, article, movie, song that teaches valuable lessons should be crammed into children's skulls from the time they are in the womb. And if the lessons it teaches aren't good enough for you, how about just the fact that it's reading. Children don't read anymore. They are too busy playing xbox and posting on Blizzforums. Any opportunity a child has to read, is a bonus in my eyes. Even if it's a simple comic book. It's still reading and expanding of the mind.

Oh, and not even to mention the extra added bonus that some of those kids may be abused by their parents, and reading that book might help them to get up the courage to tell someone. Didn't think about that, did ya?

Meghan has 9,701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Meghan Send a message via MSN to Meghan  

Old 01-13-2009

The only way this story could have a happy ending is if the mother died a very horrible death. Same with Sybil, I didn't like the ending because the mother did not suffer like she should have. If I had to choose between living and letting her live or dying so that she should die a horrible, gruesome, slow and painful death I would choose death.

pm.gif   

Old 01-14-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
I think yes. We've become so desensitized to things like war nowdays, and kids grow up thinking it's fun and games. War is very sad and should be avoided at all costs. It's not fun and it's not a game, war is terrorism. It may be justified terrorism, but innocent people are 100% guranteed to die. We should go into life knowing the full consequences of our actions.
I respectfully disagree with the red bolded part. The orange part isn't entirely true, and simply showing dead mutilated bodies to the younger generation in no way "educates" them on the nature of conflicts, it only portrays the risks of going off to war. No, its not all "fun and games" (and I've met very people who think this way) but that isn't to say that there are plenty of people highly enthusiastic about waging war in order to protect our national security interests. Some of the guys I know who are Rangers or SEALs eagerly look forwards towards future deployments.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-14-2009

I'm looking forward to my deployment but that doesn't change the fact that war is terrible, and that in all likelihood I'm probably going to kill an innocent human being, perhaps even a child. It's unavoidable. This is what happens in war. War should be a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

College Republicans and other "hawks" always crack me up. It's easy to be a tough guy when you're flexing other peoples muscles. You're no patriot, you're just asking others to fight in your stead.

Oh and by the way SEALs don't see much action in Iraq or Afghanistan compared to Rangers.

pm.gif   

Old 01-14-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:

Oh and by the way SEALs don't see much action in Iraq or Afghanistan compared to Rangers.
And where may I ask are you getting this information from? Out of your ass? Or is this something you just assume because they're from the Navy?

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-14-2009

I might be biased, because I'm in the army and my brother is a ranger. But from what I've heard the navy has a very minor role in these conflicts. Note that a few missions does not change this fact.

pm.gif   

Old 01-14-2009

Israel DaveTheRave
R.M. Dahl is my bitch
 DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!DaveTheRave is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

You want intense?? Try reading Shes Come Undone, by Wally Lamb.

DaveTheRave has 1,085 Posts

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
Огромного неба
Коснуться рукой

Держаться за воздух
За острые звезды
И там над землей
Дышать им с тобой

Hidden Content:

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DaveTheRave  

Old 01-14-2009

United States Meghan
I'll google your yahoo.
 Meghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than youMeghan has a much bigger e-peen than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
You want intense?? Try reading Shes Come Undone, by Wally Lamb.
Now THAT is one long, boring book that I think is far less intense than A Child Called It. Think about it. The worst thing that happens to her is she is raped. Other than that, the book is a long diatribe about how terrible her life is because she has no friends.

Meghan has 9,701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Meghan Send a message via MSN to Meghan  

Old 01-16-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

I don't think many folks will support The Joy of Sex in their children's public schools.

I think the school has a responsibility to properly inform parents/guardians of the subject matter so that they can help the child with any questions they have, if the parents take the time to care that is. I think many of the problems with youths dealing with troubling material comes from parents not assisting their child in the learning process.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 01-16-2009

Yep. It has to do with the rejection of the concept of personal responsibility in our society.

pm.gif