Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 01-08-2009

United States Hydragoon
BF Member
 Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!Hydragoon is dominating!
Default The Future of Stem Cells

I won't claim to be a biologist or very knowledgeable about stem cells, but I do know that embryonic stem cells result in the loss of a human embryo. I'm curious as to whether anyone knows more about stem cells, like the alternative types and what sorts of consequences this type of research could potentially have on humanity in the future.

I'd like to understand the point of views of both sides of this controversial issue. For example, would pro-life, religious conservatives be okay with stem cell research if they didn't result in the death of a human embryo? Do proponents of stem cell research downplay the death of an unborn baby by pointing out the potential for treating and curing disease?

Specifically, what sorts of maladies could stem cells really help with? Like cancer for example: if you had cancerous cells in your liver, would injecting stem cells into your liver cause the cancerous cells to somehow go away? If you have HIV, would stem cells be able to boost your immune system? For degenerative diseases, would stem cells boost brain function in certain areas that are effected? What if you lost a finger? Could stem cells be used to regrow a lost limb and retain its functionality?

Most importantly, doesn't this fundamentally change how humanity might perceive itself? This is not just a pill or surgery... this is actively growing various cells out of discarded, unborn people. Does the end justify the means in this case? Where do you think this sort of research will end up? I think it's a fascinating topic, so I appreciate your input, and I look forward to your responses.

Hydragoon

P.S. Like I said, I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above. I'm willing to edit the OP if I said something grossly inaccurate.

The Hydralisk says: grrhhhaaa.

The Dragoon says: I have returned.

The Hydragoon says: I have grrhhhaaa...

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Everything I hear indicates that the more we know, the more we come to realize that we can get stem cells without sacrificing embryos. So I think the controversy is perhaps not long for this world.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 01-08-2009

United States Reflection
Before I Pine Away...
 Reflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwnsReflection simply pwns

It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with using embryos that were going to be destroyed otherwise. Why completely waste it?

Last edited by Reflection; 01-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Reflection has 220 Posts

I have come curiously close to the end, though
Beneath my self indulgent pitiful hole. Defeated I
Concede and move closer. I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness. How pitiful.
It's calling me...

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2009

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Everything I hear indicates that the more we know, the more we come to realize that we can get stem cells without sacrificing embryos.
Yes, but they're much less versatile and they still have all the senescence/telomere shortening from previous cell divisions.

Using embryonic stem cells from embryos like the kind that are discarded en masse every year from fertility clinics gets around that issue.

Golgo 13 has 10,559 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 01-08-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

I think we should be mass producing billions of embryos and harvesting stem cells en masse.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

The best stem cells should be used, regardless of their origin.

The frank fact is that religious whackos with ethical problems in regard to the use of embryos are in fact religious whackos. They will attack a single mother for aborting an embryo while entirely ignoring the fact that billions are "disposed of" in fertility clinics. It's a quiet lie for our own good, I'm sure.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
The best stem cells should be used, regardless of their origin.

The frank fact is that religious whackos with ethical problems in regard to the use of embryos are in fact religious whackos. They will attack a single mother for aborting an embryo while entirely ignoring the fact that billions are "disposed of" in fertility clinics. It's a quiet lie for our own good, I'm sure.
This.

I have a personal problem with abortion (sometimes it's a necessary evil, but it's a sticky situation regardless, and it's none of my business in the first place), but if the petri-dish embryos are just going to be tossed out, might as well get some good from them.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 01-09-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

For most, isn't the objection to creating embryos in a petri dish for the purpose of using them to harvest cells? Creating a human life and then taking deliberate, premeditated action to prevent that life from reaching fruition is pretty depraved. It is essentially the same as if a woman deliberately got pregnant with the premeditated intention to have the child aborted.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
For most, isn't the objection to creating embryos in a petri dish for the purpose of using them to harvest cells? Creating a human life and then taking deliberate, premeditated action to prevent that life from reaching fruition is pretty depraved.
Except that's not what the embryos were originally created for.

/which of course has it's own realm of ethical qualms

JT has 18,012 Posts

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

Old 01-09-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist

Yes I'm aware. Most people I've heard who argue against embryonic stem cells are objecting to the fear that this would occur.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes

Quote:
Yes I'm aware. Most people I've heard who argue against embryonic stem cells are objecting to the fear that this would occur.
Perhaps, with more research, scientists can create artificial stem cells and bypass the whole embryo thing?

JT has 18,012 Posts

Old 01-09-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist

They can currently get embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos. According to DM those aren't as effective as the ones that require embryonic destruction. I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Researchers at Advanced Cell Technology, led by Robert Lanza, reported the successful derivation of a stem cell line using a process similar to preimplantation genetic diagnosis, in which a single blastomere is extracted from a blastocyst.[5] At the 2007 meeting of the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) [6], Lanza announced that his team had succeeded in producing three new stem cell lines without destroying the parent embryos. "These are the first human embryonic cell lines in existence that didn't result from the destruction of an embryo." Lanza is currently in discussions with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to determine whether the new technique sidesteps U.S. restrictions on federal funding for ES cell research
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_ce...native_sources

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes

Quote:
They can currently get embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos. According to DM those aren't as effective as the ones that require embryonic destruction. I wouldn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_ce...native_sources
Hmm, never heard about that. If we can get embryonic stem cells without destroying the embryo, there should be no ethical qualms, n'est pas?

JT has 18,012 Posts

Old 01-09-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist

Presumably.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-09-2009

United States JT
ur head asplodes

Wait, what happens to the embryo in that procedure? Is it allowed to develop into a fetus and born?

JT has 18,012 Posts