Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 12-15-2008

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You didn't fully get at what I am saying. Let's play out your scenario. You want to make sure that they are utilizing the patent. I will ask the question again, what does that mean exactly? Say a pharma comes up with a life-saving drug. If you require that they produce at least 1 pill (thus "using" the patent), and they produce only 1 pill, that isn't much different from sitting on it, is it. Or do you want them to produce more than 1 pill? How many pills? The number is getting larger isn't it. But as I explained, there is a point where the number gets TOO large, increasing supply to a point where the resulting market price is so low that the pharma can't make much profit off it, and so they decide it wasn't worth it to develop the drug in the first place - thus having a chilling effect on innovation.

The point is that our lawmaking body is not competent to judge in every case the number of pills they should force the pharma to produce that balances the chilling effect on the large side with the "sitting on it" effect of the small side. There is an optimum point in the middle there, and the best way to find that point is through market mechanisms.
I have a simple solution for that, either a judge or a regulating body decides. Hell, even a corrupt, inefficient, or one that just likes to fuck the corporations would be better than our current system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
So you admit that there are some industries which do not require patent law in order to keep steady innovation?
Yeah, I think military applications fall firmly in that category.

edit: well damned Golgo beat me to it so yeah go fuck yourself

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif