Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 09-03-2008

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male
 Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
I'd see violence as part of the price mechanism, the market, the natural enviroment of man. Not using violence is merely a restriction of the price mechanism. Violence is no different action from any other with the purpose to remove felt uneasiness.
Violence is contra the price mechanism since the price mechanism is founded on trade which involves the absence of violence. Prices do not exist in coercion, since you take and do not trade for what you want.

Quote:
Overall happiness isn't the end of the price mechanism, nor is it a logical consequence. That's only the case when the expectations of men about the means to reach the desired ends is accurate.
This is the logical consequence ordinality and human action. Whether or not an action is successful is not something that human beings can do to prevent since valuations are subjective.

Quote:
In that case every transaction would be a pareto improvement from the previous situation.
Hence why the transaction took place. I would say the alternative of this point is unproveable, that is, that something transacted upon does not cause happiness. It would involve a subjective value judgement not of the actor, and wouldn't be useful in any regard. The fact action was taken implies an improvement of situation. That may or may not dissipate as learning shows the incorrect expected benefit, but that in itself is naturally corrective due to a human's preference of happiness of unhappiness.

Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

"Liberty, or Freedome, signifieth (properly) the absence of opposition; (by Opposition, I mean externall Impediments of motion) and may be applied no lesse to Irrationall, and Inanimate creatures, that to Rationall.

And according to this proper, and generally received meaning of the word, a free man, is he, that in those things, which by his strength and wit he is able to do, is not hindered to doe what he has a will to."

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan.

So close... Yet so far.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Kaizen  

Old 09-03-2008

Canada Drakain Zeil
erfolg durch qualität
 Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...

Kaizen, you should invent a four dimensional dollar. Think of the implications!

Drakain Zeil has 11,867 Posts

Faster than lightning
and high as a kite
Hidden Content:

pm.gif   

Old 09-03-2008

United States Luther Stark
a.w.o.l
 Luther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of win

I own nothing, not even this claim.

Last edited by Luther Stark; 09-03-2008 at 08:57 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 09-03-2008

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Stark View Post
I own nothing, not even this claim.
I own you though.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-03-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Violence is contra the price mechanism since the price mechanism is founded on trade which involves the absence of violence. Prices do not exist in coercion, since you take and do not trade for what you want.
But violence is a service that can be traded like any other...

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-03-2008

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male
 Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...

Yes and that particular transaction is a trade. The violen act, however, has nothin to do with price. For instance, I go up and punch you in the face. What does that have to do with the price mechanism?

Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

"Liberty, or Freedome, signifieth (properly) the absence of opposition; (by Opposition, I mean externall Impediments of motion) and may be applied no lesse to Irrationall, and Inanimate creatures, that to Rationall.

And according to this proper, and generally received meaning of the word, a free man, is he, that in those things, which by his strength and wit he is able to do, is not hindered to doe what he has a will to."

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan.

So close... Yet so far.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Kaizen  

Old 09-03-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Yes and that particular transaction is a trade. The violen act, however, has nothin to do with price. For instance, I go up and punch you in the face. What does that have to do with the price mechanism?
huh? i'm going off of what you said, "trade involves the absence of violence." i will pay you not to punch me in the face. that's trade. my neighbor will also pay you (maybe more, maybe less) to punch me in the face. there's your price mechanism

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-03-2008

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Trade qua trade involves the absence of violence. If you are engaging in violence with somebody you aren't trading with them. That doesn't mean that violence can't be a service that is traded.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 09-04-2008

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
Touching on traditions is important as well. Once offensive aggression become increasingly dangerous due to lack of skill requirements, it tends to lead us to more cautious, or should I say, respectful relationships. This tends to lead to moves towards being a "gentlemen" etc. You will notice the major cultural shifts that occured post personal sidearm had to do with improving an individuals interpersonal relations with other members of society. Being a "gentleman" became valued, commerce and business became highly respected (the pinnacle of "tradarianism") and the like. This is fundamentally how Capitalism arose, and it's quite clear by looking at the Scottish Enlightenment as a model.
I think you're leaving out one major thing there: mass migration in Western and Central Europe also basically ended at the same time. If we look at the European mass migration to North America and other mass migrations that occurred after the end of the Middle Ages, there was still a premium on the ability to wield violent force the most effectively. Mass migrations have been almost entirely without fail violent in nature, with the newcomers invading and either conquering the people already living there or failing to defeat them but settling and integrating into the pre-existing society. The Hebrews conquering Canaan, the Huns moving from Central Asia to Eastern Europe and the Middle East, the Germans moving from Eastern Europe to Central Europe and then into the Western Roman Empire because of the Huns, the Viking mass migration which had its largest impact on Russia and the British Isles respectively. The Arab conquest of North Africa also applies, although not the Arab and later Ottoman invasions of Europe as the Arabs were not trying to settle Europe with Arabs but to bring the Continent under the caliphate. The Islamic conquests and wars are fairly unique anyway.

Last edited by Chaos; 09-04-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif