Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 08-10-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesang View Post
You, him and most of this forum.

What baffles me the most about the "mayority" is that they dont seem to realize that there WILL be dark and gritty dungeons in the game and that the so-called "gayness" is there to generate a larger contrast (something most games nowdays seem to lack) so that when you do get to those areas you realize youre no longer in the world above but in hell itself.
Actually, what I find puzzling is in a non-completely-anonymous setting where individuals have named identities, most of the people don't mind the art style. It's only in anonymous settings where each comment is perceived as a different person that those who hate the art style seem to be in overwhelming numbers.

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Actually, what I find puzzling is in a non-completely-anonymous setting where individuals have named identities, most of the people don't mind the art style. It's only in anonymous settings where each comment is perceived as a different person that those who hate the art style seem to be in overwhelming numbers.
Are you saying every poll on Diablofans was rigged simply because you don't agree with the verdict?

Come on, that's being pathetic.

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeber View Post
Are you saying every poll on Diablofans was rigged simply because you don't agree with the verdict?

Come on, that's being pathetic.
If you check the Diablofans stickied poll, it seems pretty much cut down the middle between those who are already satisfied with it and those who think it could do with some improvements (which is not to say they hate it, which is far in the minority in said poll). Even if you interpret 'needing some improvement' as 'I hate it with every fiber of my body' (which it isn't), it's still not an overwhelming majority coming in at 45% (57%, if you include those who feel it's too cartoony, whom are the ones I suspect truly dislike the art style) vs. 40% who blatantly like it.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 08-11-2008 at 03:03 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

United States The Weird One
 The Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
If you check the Diablofans stickied poll, it seems pretty much cut down the middle between those who are already satisfied with it and those who think it could do with some improvements (which is not to say they hate it, which is far in the minority in said poll). Even if you interpret 'needing some improvement' as 'I hate it with every fiber of my body' (which it isn't), it's still not an overwhelming majority coming in at 45% (57%, if you include those who feel it's too cartoony, whom are the ones I suspect truly dislike the art style) vs. 40% who blatantly like it.
To add to this it's an online poll and dosen't exactly mean if one side is in the majority it means that it reflects what the majority opinoin is.

The Weird One has 2,269 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
First of all, stop using the word "emo" to describe those who wish for a darker feel to Diablo III. Not only is it fairly inaccurate, but it also annoying.
what

its completely inaccurate diablo and diablo 2 were great with the darkness crazy shit popped out of nowhere and half of that shit was fast as hell

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
what

its completely inaccurate diablo and diablo 2 were great with the darkness crazy shit popped out of nowhere and half of that shit was fast as hell
I dunno, I sort of like "gothic" rather then "emo" for what they seem to want to change D3 into.

All that seems to be screamed is "MAKE IT DARKER" which to me means it's from people who've not played D2, or are masochists, because D2 was pretty fucking dark. Starting with plunging into the den of evil in act1. It baffles me that people don't realize that the outside areas look like that specifically so that when you jump into a corrupted, evil, infested dungeon that you realize that massive contrast and that "Oh wow, there is fucking EVIL going on!"

Hell, even outside. You go from it being somewhat bright out to it storming heavily when they goto face that boss that ripped two of the characters apart in a bloody gory mess.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-11-2008

South Africa Antarus
BF Member
 Antarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to behold

Hm... this graphic thing is pritty hotly debated.

I have 9 friends who all love diablo, I dont hate it, but I dont love it. Of 10 people, we have one person that doesent like the art direction, and he says its just the way he is, he sees a cartoony look to the game that the rest of us dont see. Three of us dont realy care as long as the gameplay is good (i'm in this group). And the other six love the game, the graphics, and every thing else about it allready, well... except maybe the health orb s, but thats a personal taste of one of the six.

I actualy feel sorry for Blizzard. I belive they should stop announcing games until the Beta is due to release. Look at the way Fans go on about how Blizzard games should be... Its blizzards games, they saw the existing recipe for the game doesent work in 3D and changed it. And people wont stop comlaning.

Perhaps its time for blizzard to stop producing Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft titles, and start some thing new that no one can complain about...

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

Peru Bluesang
BF Member
 Bluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarus View Post
Hm... this graphic thing is pritty hotly debated.

I have 9 friends who all love diablo, I dont hate it, but I dont love it. Of 10 people, we have one person that doesent like the art direction, and he says its just the way he is, he sees a cartoony look to the game that the rest of us dont see. Three of us dont realy care as long as the gameplay is good (i'm in this group). And the other six love the game, the graphics, and every thing else about it allready, well... except maybe the health orb s, but thats a personal taste of one of the six.

I actualy feel sorry for Blizzard. I belive they should stop announcing games until the Beta is due to release. Look at the way Fans go on about how Blizzard games should be... Its blizzards games, they saw the existing recipe for the game doesent work in 3D and changed it. And people wont stop comlaning.

Perhaps its time for blizzard to stop producing Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft titles, and start some thing new that no one can complain about...
I half agree with you there Antarus. I love that SC2 nad Diablo3 are being made but the amount of whining about them can annoy the experience of watching them grow and develop.

A new title of a new franchise would be interesting to see as this seems to be the Age of sequels and Remakes. They are EVERYWHERE: The movies, the games, the TV series, the books, everything! And its all a remake or sequel or clone of something else made to squeeze all the money out of the work of previous generations! I cant believe how lazy and uncreative the industries have gotten.

A new franchise by Blizzard would be a very welcomed breath of fresh air but what could they possibly do that isnt improving an already exsisting genre and theme?

BUT, even if they manage something SOMEONE will complain about it. Just look at the development of the first Starcraft. Although fan feedback helped shape the game to what it is today it still met allot of whining from people complaining it looked too warcraft-ish (which it did in the interface).
Its a disease it seems. Every Blizzard title at some point will be met with complaints about it looking too "warcraft-ish". Im calling it the blizzarius warcraftallot syndrome.

Last edited by Bluesang; 08-11-2008 at 06:18 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarus View Post

There is a difference between constructive criticism and just merely 'complaining'.

Believe it or not most people who are opting for change are doing so because they want the best title possible.

Come, are you serious that nothing about the style could be improved? Blizzard virtually always makes changes and fans should have their input.

pm.gif   

Old 08-11-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Fans have their input. However that doesn't mean Blizzard is required to act upon it.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-11-2008

The Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of win

Quote:
There is a difference between constructive criticism and just merely 'complaining'.

Believe it or not most people who are opting for change are doing so because they want the best title possible.

Come, are you serious that nothing about the style could be improved? Blizzard virtually always makes changes and fans should have their input.
I find it odd that these same people have seen a 20 minute gameplay video and want such a dramatic change. Also their arguements have been proven wrong when they claim such things as "it looks like warcraft", "it isnt dark at all". Most of it is just pure whining and the ones that acctually hold some value are buried beneath it all.

To be honest though you probably shouldn't have many complaints yet unless you jump to conclusions too fast.

pm.gif   

Old 08-12-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird One View Post
I find it odd that these same people have seen a 20 minute gameplay video and want such a dramatic change. Also their arguements have been proven wrong when they claim such things as "it looks like warcraft", "it isnt dark at all".
Proven wrong to you, largely because you disagree with mass opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird One View Post
To be honest though you probably shouldn't have many complaints yet unless you jump to conclusions too fast.
Anyone with eyes can look at something and draw conclusions no differently to when those first pre Alpha SC1 screen shots were released.

It's garbage to assume the style they're showing us won't reverberate throughout the game.

I can only hope the new art director will have some sense and alter the style.

pm.gif   

Old 08-12-2008

Quote:
Proven wrong to you, largely because you disagree with mass opinion.
and I claim their wrong because their have been screenshots showing them wrong. Please provide me with how you have mass opinoin. Oh and a petition and a poll isn't mass opinoin. It's also odd you say i disagree since you have no idea what my stance is.

Also i even say there is some good complaints about some things but they are buried underneath all the shit of people saying "OMGZ TOO WARCRAFTZ"

Quote:
Anyone with eyes can look at something and draw conclusions no differently to when those first pre Alpha SC1 screen shots were released.

Comparing Starcraft 2 to the first act of Dablo 3 is a huge leap no matter which way you look at it. More units were developed in SC2 and some of them looked like pure shit. They were subject to change anyway and some of them were probably just place holders for a unit. To say since SC2 had so much change so D3 will have so much change that they completely rehaul their graphics isn't a good comparison at all.

Quote:
"I hope the art director has some sense of style and keeps it the same"

Your own logic used against you.

Although I don't mind the game going either way it has been pointed out why they went in this particular direction and many just seem to want to ignore it and keep saying make it more dark.

Quote:
It's garbage to assume the style they're showing us won't reverberate throughout the game.
I never claimed this. In fact since we've only seen act one or the beggining of the game it's more then likely going to change drastically throughout it. This is why i said it wasn't a good idea to jump to conclusions based on this tiny bitsnip of the game.

EDIT: I assume you mean SC2 when you say SC1 if I'm wrong then my bad I guess.

Last edited by The Weird One; 08-12-2008 at 12:50 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-12-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

That's just lame. Act 1 doesn't look like act 2 (There is a rather bright contrast between the two, in act1 it rains, it's almost perpetually night time, and it's dark, act 2 it's bright, very bright, dry, and it's also dark in the dungeons).

Would you judge Diablo II solely on Act 2's deserts?

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 08-13-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Would you judge Diablo II solely on Act 2's deserts?

-Neo
I remember the deserts and tombs being some of the first screen shots I saw of Diablo2 and I was actually quite impressed with the level of detail and texture, especially in the tombs.

Once again, it's texture and form, not just the level of colour that determines how a game will feel, but whatever, we've going over the same old territory.

I don't know Neo, maybe you're simply blind to it, some people simply don't 'get' the darker aesthetic and so can never comprehend why some people might find it so attractive in the same way that I simply don't 'get' pink polo shirts or postmodern architecture. This isn't something words will change, thought I do believe the pro change crowd consist of a majority of Diablo fans.

Last edited by Zeitgeber; 08-13-2008 at 08:08 AM.

pm.gif