Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 08-08-2008

South Africa Antarus
BF Member
 Antarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to beholdAntarus is a splendid one to behold
Default Diablo III Art Director leaves Blizzard

Hm... I had throught this would be up here allready..

Diablo III Art Director Leaves Blizzard
Devin Connors
August 8, 2008 00:35
Blizzard is officially looking for a new art directorhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_director for its upcoming title Diablo III.
The story broke Thursday that Blizzard "is currently looking for a talented, motivated, and experienced art director to lead the Diablo III art team." At first, it wasn't clear what had happened to Brian Morrisroe, who was the former art director on the project. However, Blizzard has now confirmed that Morrisroe has indeed left Blizzard and the position is open. Blizzard sent out the following statement to several media outlets:
"Regarding Brian, he recently resigned to form a startup company "outside the game industry, which is why we posted about the open position. That change won't impact the game...we're really pleased with the look and feel that Brian helped create for Diablo III, and the new person we bring aboard will work with other artists on the team to maintain the art style moving forward."
Ever since Blizzard revealed Diablo III at its Worldwide Invitational in Paris, the title has been under scrutiny by fans because many feel as though the lighting and color choices make Diablo III look cartoony and comparable to Blizzard's cash cow World of Warcrafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft . The fan-supported online petitionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petition , titled the "Renewed Artistic Direction for Diablo III," is now carrying over 54,000 signatures. When Blizzard criticized suggestions made by some franchise fans as unrealistic and flat out wrong, it seemed like the company was standing by the man many feel is responsible for the controversial choices.
Yet the departure of Morrisroe combined with the fan uproar can only lead to speculation about the future of the game. It's doubtful any significant changes will appear as the game draws closer to completion. But the loss of an important team member certainly puts a cloud over Diablo III.

This makes me wonder how the game will turn out with the current art director leaving, but at the same time I an not worried, just pondering...

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

The art direction is fine. The game looks great. All these fucking emos complaining its not dark enough need to shut their black lips and go cut themselves, so their blood can contribute to the tone of D3 in a productive way.

If I could draw better I'd apply for this job.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 08-08-2008

Peru Bluesang
BF Member
 Bluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud of

How does a Blizzard Team work? Does the art director have a heavy say on things or is the team as a whole more powerful in terms of decisions?

Because if the new art director turns out to be one of those oposing the current art style it might be a problem.

Though Im sure Blizzard wont be s careless about hiring that they will allow such people.

I bet the entire team interviews the aspiring director and he needs their aproval before he is allowed to take the job.

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

I doubt a new art director would oppose the current style -- after all they are blizzard, and they've already confirmed they attempted a style more in keeping with what some fans want and it just didn't work out.

Kind of a shock though, seems strange to me someone would leave blizzard like that. Then again I'm biased, heh.

Seems rather dramatic though, Blizzard has teams -- it's not like this guy was solely responsible for the art direction of D3. And I really wish fans would give the game a chance.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-09-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we see a change in the art direction, to what extent is more the question.

From a recent update I read, they're only working on ACT II with the design and art already largely complete from ACT I.

So the guy has pretty much walked out in the middle of development, that's a pretty dramatic move.

Last edited by Zeitgeber; 08-09-2008 at 10:20 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-09-2008

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

The art will change based on whoever the new art director. Hint: it won't be towards more light and vivid colors that's for sure.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 08-09-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I doubt a new art director would oppose the current style -- after all they are blizzard, and they've already confirmed they attempted a style more in keeping with what some fans want and it just didn't work out.
I'm guessing that's more something they might say to avoid ill feeling and also to give the public the impression that things are under control.

It could just as easily have been that they decided the current art directer was not working out and decided they needed a different one. It's quite unusual that someone would miraculously decide to leave during the production of such a title.

This kind of turmoil might explain why we haven't had many significant updates for quite some time.

Whilst what they say may be true - they are going to keep to the current 'philosophy' (though that's not to say that might re interpret it considerably) and he may have had this idea for another company simmering in the back ground, we still don't know why the decision was made, though I can take a fairly educated guess.

Last edited by Zeitgeber; 08-09-2008 at 10:42 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

United States Catchafire
BF Member
 Catchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to beholdCatchafire is a splendid one to behold

Great, another three years at least until the game comes out... And I was HAPPY with the art direction they are heading in.

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Catch - you and me are in the minority then.

It annoys people are bitching about the art from an alpha movie of the game, seems ridiculous to me.

I actually like the direction and hope it doesn't change to much. I sort of liked that MTV article that had Blizzard critiquing the fan-modified screenshots.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-10-2008

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

So there you go, those fuckers who voted to change the art direction should have banned cd-keys for every Blizzard game
God damn emos!!!

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

Australia Jimberson
Not you
 Jimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to lead

First of all, stop using the word "emo" to describe those who wish for a darker feel to Diablo III. Not only is it fairly inaccurate, but it also annoying.

Now, with that said, I still don't know what to think about the art direction, or the director leaving, for whatever reason. It is unfortunate that there was such a large outcry about the art direction, but I'm not sure if Blizzard was honestly expecting otherwise. While I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as calling it "cartoonish" or like WoW, I can see what appears to be some influences from the latter. There are some textures that look oddly "plastic" to some degree, but I cannot for the life of me explain it, but it does bug me a little. I can't point it out, it's just there. The proportions of the characters seem fine.

There are people who like things darker. After not being able to see shit in GTA IV, I'd have to say that some scaling back in that area might prove desirable, especially since Diablo III is a three-dimensional game, and they cannot very well just use palette swap to differentiate the many types of enemies.

In a nutshell, my thoughts can be summed up by: Something should be done about some of the textures (again, I cannot explain this) Appropriate levels of darkness and saturation; perhaps a little scaling back in the latter area, but I cannot say for sure

Take that as you will.

Jimberson has 151 Posts

no one in particular, 1957

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Regarding Brian Morrisroe (the art director) leaving Blizzard, it should be worth mentioning that it was to start a new company outside the gaming industry. This would suggest that it was more a change in interest as opposed to internal turmoil within Blizzard. Additionally, starting a new company is a huge decision and is likely that the people in Blizzard would have been well aware that he would be leaving soon. As such, I suspect he was brought in to iron out the art direction for Diablo III and once it reached a satisfactory level from which others can take over, he took his leave to open his new company.

With this in mind, I suspect that whoever is brought into the fold will likely follow this style, at least to a degree since the ground work is mostly completed.

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

Canada Veltras
Thought in chaos
 Veltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond repute

It was clearly stated that this wouldn't bring any change, Blizzard isn't the work of a man alone unlike what some might have thought with a game called Hell Gate London

Veltras has 198 Posts

Busy killing integrals and their ilk or trying to measure the decay of psions in their rest frame...

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

Peru Bluesang
BF Member
 Bluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud ofBluesang has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Catch - you and me are in the minority then.

It annoys people are bitching about the art from an alpha movie of the game, seems ridiculous to me.

I actually like the direction and hope it doesn't change to much. I sort of liked that MTV article that had Blizzard critiquing the fan-modified screenshots.

-Neo
You, him and most of this forum.

What baffles me the most about the "mayority" is that they dont seem to realize that there WILL be dark and gritty dungeons in the game and that the so-called "gayness" is there to generate a larger contrast (something most games nowdays seem to lack) so that when you do get to those areas you realize youre no longer in the world above but in hell itself.

pm.gif   

Old 08-10-2008

United States Santrega
The one and only
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesang View Post
You, him and most of this forum.

What baffles me the most about the "mayority" is that they dont seem to realize that there WILL be dark and gritty dungeons in the game and that the so-called "gayness" is there to generate a larger contrast (something most games nowdays seem to lack) so that when you do get to those areas you realize youre no longer in the world above but in hell itself.
Actually, lets be honest with ourselves here. They could do better, but that would require them to create a new engine, something they are not willing to do.

To be completely honest, I liked it in the video, and looking back at it, I did find it a little too colorful. However, if that is needed in order to make the game playable, using the current engine, then I'm fine with that.

I care more about the actual gameplay, than whether or not everything is colored appropriately.

Santrega has 737 Posts

I require additional reputation.

pm.gif