Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 07-25-2008

United States Roland
the Praetor
 Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!
Default An examination of Diablo 3 lore.

I wrote this for a Starcraft site (sc2armory.com), whose sister site (d3armory.com) for Diablo is still under construction. I was gonna wait till the sister site is open but you guys speculate so fast I was afraid the whole thing would be old by the time I posted it.

http://www.sc2armory.com/forums/topic/2843/

It's VERY long, take your time, I'll write a concise summery for you guys later.

Roland has 64 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-25-2008

United States organizedcrime
So Real
 organizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant future

Holy shit that was an awesome thread. I'm usually not a fan of speculation (because I'm terrified of let downs), but I'm amazed at how well you managed to piece together all the concept art.

The few bits that I think need more reinforcing are the "old" quotes (like the 'wrapped in the guise of man' bit) - Blizzard probably wouldn't be going to sources that obscure, like the original trailer for Diablo 2. Remember to never underestimate Blizzard's ability to throw out old material; they had no trouble doing that with Blizzard North's original work on D3. While the quotes do go along with your theory, an obscure source, no matter how convenient, is still obscure and unlikely to be used.

Of course, that's just my shitty opinion - feel free to tear it apart.

Last edited by organizedcrime; 07-25-2008 at 06:24 PM.
organizedcrime has 209 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to organizedcrime  

Old 07-25-2008

United States Roland
the Praetor
 Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!Roland is dominating!

No you your right, it is obscure, but like you mentioned, it does back my case, for which I gathered almost every piece of evidence I could get.

Thanks for the reply by the way, 17 hrs, without a single comment is always a little scary.

Roland has 64 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-25-2008

United States The Weird One
 The Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of winThe Weird One is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
No you your right, it is obscure, but like you mentioned, it does back my case, for which I gathered almost every piece of evidence I could get.

Thanks for the reply by the way, 17 hrs, without a single comment is always a little scary.
It's really because there's not much to comment on. We could all come in and say you did good work, but I wouldn't be surprised if not many people have even read that huge post. Also there are those who would just flat out say your wrong and never reply again or flame you or something.

I really liked your ideas and I think they have a lot of evidence backing them up. It's really good speculation and i suggest people to endure the long read because it's a really good read.

The Weird One has 2,269 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-25-2008

India Lord Kungai
Fury of the Swarm
 Lord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of win

Awesome analysis! +rep

Just a few summarising questions:

1) Do you think any of the Archangels will be an antagonist or villain in D3?
2) Do you think there will be an angelic charater class in D3?
3) Do you think the 3 PEs will return at all in D3? Or will D3 be something about their legacy, or something like that? From what I infered, the answer is the latter, but I was a bit unsure about this part...

Lord Kungai has 1,712 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-25-2008

Canada rise
StarCraft: Legacy
 rise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightened

This is a good article. You have collected some excellent ideas!

Edit: I think Izual's speech was intended to reference the Lesser Evils casting the Prime Evils out of Hell. I'm unsure about this, but it may be the case.

Last edited by rise; 07-25-2008 at 11:44 PM.
rise has 1,926 Posts

Past, Present, Future

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to rise  

Old 07-26-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Yeah, I'm sorry, I read it as well but just didn't really have much to say on it. I liked the write up, but the speculation was also interesting... Even though I may not totally agree with it.

Suffice it say, D3 has some pretty interesting lore. I keep thinking I need to get my hands on the books, but there just isnt anywhere around here that sells them.

Might have to resort to Amazon I suppose. Heh.

Anyway enough rambling.

It was pretty good, and those pictures were also really interesting -- a couple I hadn't even seen yet which was cool.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 07-26-2008

So Real
 organizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant futureorganizedcrime has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rise View Post
Edit: I think Izual's speech was intended to reference the Lesser Evils casting the Prime Evils out of Hell. I'm unsure about this, but it may be the case.
It was - everyone thinks that Belial and Azmodan kicked the Three out of Hell, which is true, but it was orchestrated and planned anyway. Remember that the bit about Belial and Azmodan fighting "to this day" was from like the Diablo I manual, and doesn't take into account the two trips that Diablo made back to Hell. I assume that he took care of the two during one of those trips.

I would enjoy fighting two new Evils, but they'd have to explain how they evaded Diablo.

Old 07-26-2008

Netherlands Adron
Fel Boar
 Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!

very tasty indeed.

Nephalem...i knew it was something like that (demon+angel = human).

Adron has 116 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-26-2008

United States Roland
the Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by organizedcrime View Post
It was - everyone thinks that Belial and Azmodan kicked the Three out of Hell, which is true, but it was orchestrated and planned anyway. Remember that the bit about Belial and Azmodan fighting "to this day" was from like the Diablo I manual, and doesn't take into account the two trips that Diablo made back to Hell. I assume that he took care of the two during one of those trips.

I would enjoy fighting two new Evils, but they'd have to explain how they evaded Diablo.
In Diablo 1 you weren't actually in Hell, you were more in an outpost of Hell Diablo created. There's no way it was really Hell because you literaly just walked down into it.There was no portal or anything just walk from the caves to Hell.

You were in Hell in Diablo 2, you can be assured of that because the Hellforge is exclusivly in Hell.

It's possible though that all you explored of Hell though was Diablo's little corner populated by Diablo's personal army. He would have chosen that corner for the Chaos Sanctuary which was apparently all but his home.

Roland has 64 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-27-2008

Israel Eligor
BF Member
 Eligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightened

Funnily enough they removed the line about fighting "the luminaries of heaven itself" from the description on the main page of www.diablo3.com.
I wonder whether your article had anything to do with that.

Eligor has 414 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-27-2008

So Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
In Diablo 1 you weren't actually in Hell, you were more in an outpost of Hell Diablo created. There's no way it was really Hell because you literaly just walked down into it.There was no portal or anything just walk from the caves to Hell.
Ah, my mistake.
Quote:
It's possible though that all you explored of Hell though was Diablo's little corner populated by Diablo's personal army. He would have chosen that corner for the Chaos Sanctuary which was apparently all but his home.
At this point I'm nitpicking, but how could Diablo's personal army exist in hell if Belial and Azmodan were still fighting over it. And why would they (B+A) stay behind while a bunch of adventurers invaded hell?

Old 07-27-2008

United States Roland
the Praetor

Quite frankly I don't have an answer, I'm sure I can find one, but it'll take me a while. It's possible Diablo virtually retook Hell by forcing the submission of Beliel and Azmodan, like he did with Duriel and Andariel. This may have allowed them to unify as the powers of Hell which would allow their invasion of Sanctuary to work much better.

Roland has 64 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-28-2008

India Lord Kungai
Fury of the Swarm
 Lord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of win

As Deckard Cain said: 'The Evils of hell have been rather forthright in their desire to spread destruction and chaos, as opposed to the angels of heaven, who are more enigmatic', or something like that.

Basically, the three bros can do whatever they like with/in Hell and the lesser evils can't do shit about it, UNLESS the PEs ALLOW the lesser evils to push them around. And I think the whole banishing was allowed ONLY BECAUSE the three bros had planned out this whole invasion of Sanctuary beforehand.

Lord Kungai has 1,712 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-28-2008

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

I did read the whole thing - most of what you say is interesting - but I most definitely disagree that Diablo won't be in the game

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension