Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

View Poll Results: How many would you like?
Happy the way it is, 5 is fine. 25 60.98%
Should be 7 then at least 9 with the expansion. 10 24.39%
Lots and lots... all with perfect ballance.... 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008

Canada Renagade Rine
 Renagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the rough
Default Only five class options?

Did I hear it right when Blizzard said that? I kind of figured that Blizzard would continue their accending +2 each game pattern... Diablo1 had 3, Diablo2 had 5, Diablo3 should have 7....
Personally I would like at least 12 but thats just me....
Sure we all know that the expansion will have 2 more like LOD but I kinda feel like Blizzard is being a little cheap. Its not like It is realy THAT much extra work to add two extra classes especailly compared to what Blizzard has to do anyway just to make the game.

Renagade Rine has 325 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Renagade Rine  

Old 07-07-2008

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

As long as they were balanced and of good quality, I wouldn't mind unlimited classes. Beggar's cant be choosers, though. T_T

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 07-07-2008

United States KingKaramazov
BF Member
 KingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to lead

Diablo 3 is not like many RPGs where classes overlap a lot and can be categorized into several main groups. Rather, each character class will be a lot more distinct and unique from the other character classes.

Hopefully in exchange each class will have a lot of flexibility and variety of skill builds and that sort of thing.

Each class needs to fill a specific gameplay niche, have a very specific, unique feel to it, and be at least mostly balanced. Obviously it would be great if there could be 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 20, or an unlimited number of classes like that. But it's simply not possible.

Anyway, if the classes are made well, you'll have a hard enough time getting to play each of the 5 character classes to their full extent (all different builds and play styles etc.), let alone many more.

KingKaramazov has 270 Posts

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim....

pm.gif   

Old 07-07-2008

Canada Renagade Rine
 Renagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the rough

I think that they should at least bring some of the old ones back though. I always wanted to see that cool 'warrior' class again, he was pretty dope. Also it would be cool to have the rouge back in, the sorceror/sorcerous has to come back. I would love to see the necro again even though the witchdoctor is pretty well just a necro.

Renagade Rine has 325 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Renagade Rine  

Old 07-07-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Water-Marine
OBESITY IS WIDESPREAD
 Water-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something rightWater-Marine is obviously doing something right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade Rine View Post
I would love to see the necro again even though the witchdoctor is pretty well just a necro.
Dude, who needs skeletons when you can make a wall of FUCKING ZOMBIES?

Water-Marine has 92 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-07-2008

United States KingKaramazov
BF Member
 KingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade Rine View Post
I think that they should at least bring some of the old ones back though. I always wanted to see that cool 'warrior' class again, he was pretty dope. Also it would be cool to have the rouge back in, the sorceror/sorcerous has to come back. I would love to see the necro again even though the witchdoctor is pretty well just a necro.
It's really unnecessary. We'll be well off if each of the 5 character classes stands on its own and represents a certain archetype. We don't need multiple "melee warrior" type classes or multiple "dark summoner / caster" classes.

Also, the original classes from Diablo 1 were pretty bland and had very little depth so I don't think you'll see anything like a "Warrior" or "Rogue" in Diablo 3. Judging especially from the Witch Doctor, I think we can expect each of the classes to be very detailed and unique.

KingKaramazov has 270 Posts

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim....

pm.gif   

Old 07-07-2008

Macedonia SlickR
BF Member
 SlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortals

As long as they are unique and different from one another it can be from 3 to 30!

SlickR has 1,059 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-08-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

+ 2 for the expansion

5 now guarantees we'll get one.

pm.gif   

Old 07-08-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickR View Post
As long as they are unique and different from one another it can be from 3 to 30!
That's the problem.
Can you create 30 different classes with minimal skill overlap?
It's better to make 5-7 completely distinct classes, then needlessly fill the game with 5 near-clones of each archetype.
We don't want another Super Smash Brothers fuck up. Clones blow ass.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 07-08-2008

United States Santrega
The one and only
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win

This is Bashiok's reasoning for why there are only 5 characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiok
Yeah, I think you guys hit the nail.

We're setting out to create unique, interesting, and diverse classes that each have their own style and flavor. Most importantly this isn't just a basic look at each individual class, but how they compare to each other and overlap (or hopefully, don't).

When you up the number of classes more and more you're eventually going to begin down the route of homogenization, they start to bleed into each other's core abilities and styles which really just detracts from each individual class' recognizability and distinction within the game.

In addition, by limiting the number - and I say limiting not because it's a low number, it's the number of classes in Diablo II and a good one at that, but because we're not going crazy with it - we can focus on making each class really impressive, both visually and through the way they each feel and play.
Source : http://www.battle.net/forums/thread....al&T=47258&P=1

Santrega has 737 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-09-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Five honestly sounds like too few for the game. I wouldn't want to see more than probably 10 at absolute most. 7 or 8 would be perfect for a final count. In blizzard tradition there will be an expansion, how many new classes are revealed will be seen.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 07-09-2008

Netherlands LXM
Artist
 LXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too much

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have 5-7 distinct classes, each with their own unique abilities, and most important: BALANCED classes, than a shitload of classes that are the same and where some maybe under/overpowered.

LXM has 10,242 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LXM  

Old 07-09-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul
 KnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too long

The more the classes the less they are balanced and the more they will have useless/overlapping skills.

5 is really a very good number that strikes a perfect balance between variety and the ability to make the characters equal in terms of usefulness.

Just wish they reveal the other classes soon XD

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

STOP ISRAELI MASSACRES OF CIVILIANS
http://www.elfarra.org/gallery/gaza.htm

pm.gif   

Old 07-09-2008

Macedonia SlickR
BF Member
 SlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
That's the problem.
Can you create 30 different classes with minimal skill overlap?
It's better to make 5-7 completely distinct classes, then needlessly fill the game with 5 near-clones of each archetype.
We don't want another Super Smash Brothers fuck up. Clones blow ass.
yup, that's why I'm content with as little/many blizzard decide!

SlickR has 1,059 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2008

United States Redcloak
Lord of Legacy
 Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Redcloak is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

I think the thing that is overlooked with a game like this too, is that there is variety. You can go different ways within the individual classes, and really in another game those different paths might be called another class.

Redcloak has 13,393 Posts

~Redcloak
10 Years with the Legacy Network

Unlikely to return. Have fun my children.

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Redcloak