Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 08-13-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeber View Post
I remember the deserts and tombs being some of the first screen shots I saw of Diablo2 and I was actually quite impressed with the level of detail and texture, especially in the tombs.

Once again, it's texture and form, not just the level of colour that determines how a game will feel, but whatever, we've going over the same old territory.

I don't know Neo, maybe you're simply blind to it, some people simply don't 'get' the darker aesthetic and so can never comprehend why some people might find it so attractive in the same way that I simply don't 'get' pink polo shirts or postmodern architecture. This isn't something words will change, thought I do believe the pro change crowd consist of a majority of Diablo fans.
Thats unfair. I don't "get it" ?? "a majority" ??

That's just bull. There is no majority and there is nothing I don't get. I understand that the consensus among those that want the art to change is that they want it to be constantly dark, whether the environment is outside or inside. Personally I find that boring. I want the outside environments to look like outside environments.

Now you keep putting words in my mouth, I get the darker aspect, however I personally am tired of playing a game where I can't see 2 inches from my character whenever I'm in the dark. I actually want to see that detailed mural painting in the cathedral, or the design of the monster I'm fighting. Many of the monsters in Diablo II have extremely interesting details that one usually misses because it's to damned dark to see anything except their life bar.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...-turns-tables/

I agree with almost everything Jay said in regards to the fan modified screen shots.

What saddens me is that fans aren't even willing to give blizzard a chance. You see, maybe, 30-40 minutes of video, and you're all just so sure the design sucks and should be changed?

I don't want a desaturated version of Diablo. People seem to be forgetting how colorful Diablo II actually was. I want everything to be vibrant, I want to see my spells and my allies.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 08-13-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

I think this is the first time I acctually agree with Neo on anything. D2 was dark, yes, in both mood and graphical overlay. But Act 2 and Act 3 were also vibrant. There's nothing wrong with a little contrast.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 08-13-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Something I have noticed about the pro-change crowd is that their reasoning, regardless of whether others agree to or not, concern aesthetic issues. But when designing an art style, it is worth remembering that there are other factors to be considered, such as gameplay and practicality. In fact, out of these three (aesthetics, gameplay and practicality), aesthetics are the least important.

To help illustrate my point, I've added some questions pertaining to the relevant factors that I think Blizzard artists (amongst others) are likely to ask during the development of the style:

Aesthetics:

- Is it unique and different from competing products? How so?
- Is the quality on par with competing products?
- Does the style allow for variety and change or is it static through out the game?
- Are fine details noticeable? If so, would they be appreciated or ignored?

Gameplay:

- Is it easy to differentiate between different characters, creatures and locations?
- Is it easy to read what is happening?
- What does the art style allow and prevent us from doing? Are these things we want or need?

Practicality:

- How many work hours must be put in to achieve an acceptable quality?
- Can the style run well on the typical computer possessed by the average computer owner (as opposed to a gamer)?
- If additional hardware is needed, how available are they and are people likely to take the effort to obtain them?

Blizzard's explanation on the selection of the current art style takes all these three factors into account (though they may not have officially answered these specific questions publicly). Pro-change supporters haven't.

pm.gif   

Old 08-14-2008

Australia Zeitgeber
BF Member
 Zeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightenedZeitgeber has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
I think this is the first time I acctually agree with Neo on anything. D2 was dark, yes, in both mood and graphical overlay. But Act 2 and Act 3 were also vibrant. There's nothing wrong with a little contrast.
That's not what I'm getting at DS.

The existence of bright colours do not de facto mean the game is 'bright' in mood, it's all about contrast and texture, things which would not overly alter the processing power needed to operate but more constitute a stylistic change.

It's true that this different direction would involve in many areas of dark, but that also serves as a contrast to make spells, particular aspects of the environment and characters stand out. This doesn't mean you can't have brighter areas, but the impression we got from the screen shots and trailers was that the entire game has been 'lightened' in mood and aesthetics, not just certain sections.

I'm not arguing for a D3 in monochrome, never was.

pm.gif   

Old 08-15-2008

United States Adovid
 Adovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwns

Come on people. It's not that hard to lower some ambient values on a few shader effects.

What Blizzard uses on Diablo 3 looks like the models use constant shading with hardly any lighting. It's pitiful.

We have pixel shaders now people. Geforce 4 and up.

Here is what they need to do:

1. Use the phong shader on everything with a very close to zero ambient value(no more than .01), a diffuse value of around 2 and a very high specular power, like 200. These are the values that seem to match the materials used in the original diablo 1 & 2 sprites.

2. Use a lighting model that shades units individually and takes minimal influence from the environment. Why? Because sprites in diablo 2 were lit by the scene they were modeled in with 1 light. That made it look dark and definitely gave it it's own look and feel.

In addition to this, using the phong shader will not pull so much of a load on low end cards because it would only shade over 1 light.

The thing is. You actually WANT to duplicate the cheesy default materials the artists used back when they couldn't or didn't know how to tweek very much and didn't think to use more than 1 light to illuminate the models.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Mario if he was in Diablo. This was done with an hlsl real time shader with shader version 2.0.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg diabloMario.jpg (20.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Adovid; 08-16-2008 at 01:59 AM.

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."--
Charles McCabe

pm.gif