Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-14-2009

United States TychusFindlayII
BF Member
 TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!
Default Chinese Goverment rules that StarCraft: Ghost promotes "Feudal Superstition"

http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newss...141178_0_5_0_M
http://www.chinacourt.org/html/artic...3/344450.shtml

This is almost as bad as the time they made it illegal to reincarnate ... Way to go Communism!

I wonder what the Chinese government thinks of the name "Wings of Liberty".

Do you think they'll try to make Blizzard change that name, too? I think it's possible which is why I posted it here.

TychusFindlayII has 262 Posts

Blizzard Entertainment is not responsible for any pain or suffering resulting from personal needs for specific products, applications, or information regarding said products in which Blizzard owns rights, equities or personal interest in. Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to withhold any information it deems not necessary or too awesome to release at this time regardless of any individual's proclaiming any threats towards their personal safety or the safety of any others.

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

United States vIsitor
BF Member
 vIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightened
Default Re: Chinese Goverment rules that StarCraft: Ghost promotes "Feudal Superstition"

Typical idiotic behavior from a people's republic of tyranny: see a word out-of-context, and over-react.

Honestly, its not like "ghosts" are real in the literal sense in the StarCraft mythos. Hell, they're named that because, lore-wise, the military higher-ups leveraging such "feudal superstitions" to their advantage. Weapons of fear, after all.

More importantly, effectively banning a game that will never be released really just reeks of someone who did not do the research. Hell, the probably didn't even care; the bureaucrat responsible probably just added it to the list to meet his or her censorship quota.

There is no penguin level!

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Israel Eligor
BF Member
 Eligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightened
Default Re: Chinese Goverment rules that StarCraft: Ghost promotes "Feudal Superstition"

The sheer stupidity, thick headedness and brainlessness of censors is infuriating. Even in insignificant cases like these. I'd dearly like to have an opportunity to land a few well placed punches in the face of the idiot who came up with such a reason as "feudal superstition" (not that he has the braincells to understand what those words mean!). If the twentieth century introduced any new deadly sins into global culture, censorship is the chief amongst them.

Last edited by Eligor; 02-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Eligor has 414 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychusFindlayII View Post
http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newss...141178_0_5_0_M
http://www.chinacourt.org/html/artic...3/344450.shtml

This is almost as bad as the time they made it illegal to reincarnate ... Way to go Communism!

I wonder what the Chinese government thinks of the name "Wings of Liberty".

Do you think they'll try to make Blizzard change that name, too? I think it's possible which is why I posted it here.
I'm willing to bet if Blizzard cares about selling the game in China in the first place then they would probably make a localization title change to something else. It's not all that uncommon to do that, some Japanese titles do at least some translational work in their title when releasing a game in North America.

And the Chinese government -does- think rather irrationally, however people in the western hemisphere are no better than them, government or not. China's government is a joke, but some organizations in the US are one too. Look at PETA for example, they're hypocritical thugs.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-14-2009

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

China once banned bibles for similar reasons. (Too much crime, magic, etc in them.)

However, I think people are overreacting over China's overreaction. China is only banning the name, Blizzard can rename it there. (It's stupid to force a name change, but it's not a huge deal. Blizzard can use whatever word they used for "ghost" there, or whatever that invisible unit in Warcraft III was named. I haven't heard about WC III being banned in China.)

Blizzard wanted to name an esports brand "StarCraft: Ghost"; while Ghost has probably been canned, esports haven't been.

Blizzard could be remaking Ghost. I find this hard to believe, since the novel is coming out at the end of the year, but it is a slight possibility.

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Tychus... Don't tell me you're Deckard Lee from gamefaqs...

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-14-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757* View Post
Blizzard could be remaking Ghost. I find this hard to believe, since the novel is coming out at the end of the year, but it is a slight possibility.
I'm betting that Blizzard isn't working on Ghost but allowing another studios under Activision Blizzard to the job. Namely, Infinity Ward, the other star under the corporation. Here's a comment from a video gaming site I go to regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Shacknews was the first place I saw to report that yesterday's analyst-oriented Activision Blizzard event spilled the beans on the nature of Infinity Ward's next release. Are you ready for this? It's another Call of Duty game. I'll let you absorb the magnitude of that concept for just a minute. Radical idea, I know. This puts to bed the persistent rumors that IW might be working on a new, possibly sci-fi-themed intellectual property, or perhaps even partnering with Blizzard in some capacity, now that the two are both part of the same corporate mega-conglomerate. (That second one was more wishful thinking than anything, really. Imagine an IW-developed StarCraft Ghost reimagined as a first-person shooter. YESPLSKTHX.)
Source

The difference is that we don't know how much manpower is there at Infinity Ward. Resources (manpower, time and money) determine if its possible to make a new game for a small studio, Blizzard was once subject to this before the release of World of WarCraft. Though it's possible to make a game with very little people. Hell even Portal was made by 10 workers.

Quote:
From that, he learned "isolation leads subjects to begin to attach to inanimate objects." So when Kim Swift and the rest of the small Portal team at Valve, which was never larger than ten people, were trying to make players drag "this stupid thing" (Swift's exact words) all over a map, Wolpaw had an idea.
Source

I'm hoping Infinity Ward does make StarCraft: Ghost, it makes much more sense. It won't be a direct competitor to Call of Duty since it's a tactical game in the first place. They've got the experience. COD4 proved to be of superb quality in all regards (with the exception of the length of its single player). So why the hell not?

Also do not put down FPS stealth games, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64 were awesome.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-14-2009

BF Member
 TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!TychusFindlayII is dominating!

Ummmm ... I go by many names on GameFAQs. Why?

Blizzard Entertainment is not responsible for any pain or suffering resulting from personal needs for specific products, applications, or information regarding said products in which Blizzard owns rights, equities or personal interest in. Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to withhold any information it deems not necessary or too awesome to release at this time regardless of any individual's proclaiming any threats towards their personal safety or the safety of any others.

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

That didn't answer my question at all. I'm asking if you're Deckard Lee from the gamefaqs forum.

Hydra-owned

Old 02-14-2009

BF Member

It was implied, but YES I am DeckardlLee.

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Man this Starcraft Ghost issue is out of proportion in any sense, but to hear some of the comments made about China is just absurd.
Just because their system may be different than yours and your understanding, that doesn't mean its wrong or bad.

Yeah censoring a SCI-FI game name is exaggerated, but on the other hand when you hear countries talk about them selfs as the messiah over and over again is a lot worse than this!

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Israel Eligor
BF Member
 Eligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
Man this Starcraft Ghost issue is out of proportion in any sense, but to hear some of the comments made about China is just absurd.
Just because their system may be different than yours and your understanding, that doesn't mean its wrong or bad.

Yeah censoring a SCI-FI game name is exaggerated, but on the other hand when you hear countries talk about them selfs as the messiah over and over again is a lot worse than this!
There is nothing different than anyone's understanding here. It's a worrying case of bureaucracy at best and a manifestation of a totalitarian mindset at worst. Self aggrandizing is natural even for well-meaning politicians, it's small things like this that are truly disturbing.

Eligor has 414 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate

Quote:
It was implied, but YES I am DeckardlLee.
Just to tell you here, stop acting like you're so great on gamefaqs. No one gives a shit.

Hydra-owned

Old 02-14-2009

United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all

Lol, funny how in other nations a game gets banned due to violence, sex, etc. But in China, a game (thats probably not even coming out btw) gets banned because it had Ghost in the title.

Im not saying Ghost is dead, but if it ever was revived, I think Blizz could change the game title altogether. I mean, it stars Nova, but you can play as all 3 races, so... yeah, its not an issue, just downright stupidity.

Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Russian Federation NeoSoviet
BF Member
 NeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too long

The World laughs at China, not with them.

NeoSoviet has 839 Posts

pm.gif