Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes


Old 02-13-2009
 
#1
Austria FoxSpirit
Benevolent Myōbu
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 218
 FoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightenedFoxSpirit has become enlightened
Default Activision, you worry me

You know we have this awesome game upcoming, Starcraft II? And we were told that Activision will not have such a big say in it?
Those guys are so greedy it makes me... well, yeah, read:
http://kotaku.com/5153344/activision...legend-lawsuit

Monetizing selected battle.net features? I wonder who this came from? Though Rob Pardo imideately jumped in to ensure us that it was not what it sounded and I'll trust him on that.

I seriously wonder if the ActiBlizz merger was such a great idea, this also puts a stain on Blizzard, even if it's unrelated.
 
FoxSpirit has 218 Posts
 

FoxSpirit is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#2
Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,740
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxSpirit View Post
You know we have this awesome game upcoming, Starcraft II? And we were told that Activision will not have such a big say in it?
Those guys are so greedy it makes me... well, yeah, read:
http://kotaku.com/5153344/activision...legend-lawsuit

Monetizing selected battle.net features? I wonder who this came from? Though Rob Pardo imideately jumped in to ensure us that it was not what it sounded and I'll trust him on that.

I seriously wonder if the ActiBlizz merger was such a great idea, this also puts a stain on Blizzard, even if it's unrelated.
"Monetizing certain battle.net features" could mean shit like, you need to pay to be ranked in ladder. Battle.net itself will never be fee'd, that would quickly kill off 90% of their sales. It really does mean only certain, advanced features may have an extra cost associated with them.
 
DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

 

DemolitionSquid is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#3
Argentina Norfindel
Soon...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,003
 Norfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightened
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Yeah, it's not like you need a lot of money to run servers for a P2P game... Asking money to do that for a game so popular won't probably kill it, but cause people to make their own Battle.net 2.0 server in linux as fast as they can
 
Norfindel has 2,003 Posts
 

Norfindel is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#4
No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Overwatch
Broken Spindle
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
 Overwatch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Why should I have to pay a fee if I want to play competitive games? :/
 
Overwatch has 148 Posts

"Personal credit; even if it's the first time in your life, you can get it from us at a simple offspring servitude rate. And besides, when your descendants come to work for us to pay off your debt, they'll be getting the best possible education. Even though you might succeed, your duty to the State is never done. If you do not succeed, you will be expected to complete your 1 year military duty as originally planned. Good luck, and remember: we're here to help you, help us." -Unknown
 

Overwatch is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#5
United States Gradius
For Vengenace
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,020
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
Why should I have to pay a fee if I want to play competitive games? :/
Because running a server with thousands of players costs bandwidth, which costs money.
 
Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007
 

Gradius is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#6
United States Triceron
BF Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 871
 Triceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatness
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Monetizing _select_ features...


World of Warcraft already does this with paid character transfers, paid gender/feature changes, paid character name changes, etc. These are considered monetized features that do not account for the actual game's gameplay or experience.

If Battle.net's account system becomes somehow tied to one profile that is given to a given player, rather than allowing players to make a billion free accounts, then they could add monetized features based on that. Or they could have a Premium account that offers some bonus incentives, like guild management stuff built into Battle.net.

Who knows what this could really mean. And BTW, that link sent me to Activision's Brutal Legend Lawsuit, was that somehow relevant to this?
 
Triceron has 871 Posts
 

Triceron is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#7
Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,746
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
Because running a server with thousands of players costs bandwidth, which costs money.
Indeed. I don't see what's so hard to reason with this. World of WarCraft has 11 million players on a single MMORPG; that's a milestone. Imagine paying off the maintenance fees for the servers used. Xbox Live costs money because it's a centralized server of 17 million. PlayStation Network doesn't cost money but it's not centralized as much (you can't see which friend is on playing another game while your playing your own game), I suspect that games played are company operated and supported. I have no idea about the Wii's Wi-Fi. Biggest difference is that server maintenance is especially high for MMORPGs.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what they really mean about monetizing Battlenet. We'll see soon enough.
 
Meteora has 12,746 Posts


: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :
 

Meteora is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#8
Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 881
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Every single feature available in War3 online should be free of charge in SC2, too. Anything new, fancy and advanced can cost money for all I care. So yeah, if you want your own clan with its images published in the game, you gotta pay, if you want to do special or important community stuff, you gotta pay. (Blizzard testing and publishing your maps on a special section if they are quality MP maps, changing your username, resetting your stats, having your broadcasted matches be commented on by who knows and/or featured, etc.)
 
Alex06 has 881 Posts


Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!
 

Alex06 is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#9
Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,746
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
Every single feature available in War3 online should be free of charge in SC2, too. Anything new, fancy and advanced can cost money for all I care. So yeah, if you want your own clan with its images published in the game, you gotta pay, if you want to do special or important community stuff, you gotta pay. (Blizzard testing and publishing your maps on a special section if they are quality MP maps, changing your username, resetting your stats, etc.)
I suppose it'll work depending on the features. But most people will still complain anyways about new features not being free. Understandable for username since people might abuse the power to change their username far too often if they don't pay.
 
Meteora has 12,746 Posts


: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :
 

Meteora is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#10
Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 881
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
I suppose it'll work depending on the features. But most people will still complain anyways about new features not being free. Understandable for username since people might abuse the power to change their username far too often if they don't pay.
Exactly. I myself doubt that base features that both SC1 and War3 have (except custom clans with their own banners) would cost money, as they are free in any (or almost any) popular online game that ever existed so far. (Not counting MMORPGs like WoW)

SC2 itself will be different from WoW, as developpers won't alter the game gradually and add things to it like with WoW. Most new stuff will be added via expansions or patches after expansions are out (Like EA is intending to do with RA3, Blizz even mentionned possibly doing this, like they've done with TFT).

And if the servers cost...Well, that means there will be much less lag. They could even go and do this like with XBOX LIVE, and have special centralized servers for players who want to pay, and they'd have special competitive and community features others wouldn't have, including less laggy games, anti-cheat settings, etc. The cost wouldn't even have to be higher than around 175 bucks a year. (~15$ a month, what WoW costs now)
 

Last edited by Alex06; 02-13-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Alex06 has 881 Posts


Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!
 

Alex06 is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#11
No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Overwatch
Broken Spindle
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
 Overwatch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
Every single feature available in War3 online should be free of charge in SC2, too. Anything new, fancy and advanced can cost money for all I care.
That's all I was getting at. Sorry if I came off as ecstatic or irrational, but I was under the impression that Battle.net was a P2P service (which would use less bandwidth). World of Warcraft is hosted entirely by Blizzard, which obviously is going to cost a lot more in bandwidth and require a fee to be fiscally doable. I understand all of that. I just can't see a reason to charge for features that were free in another game's version of Battle.net.

It's like Microsoft trying to charge a monthly fee for Windows Live Gold a year or so ago when other online services like Gamespy and were free-of-charge (despite being supported by ads in the lobby - like Battle.net seems to be). This account type would allow players to voice chat in-game and use a matchmaking service (TrueSkill), along with a few other things I can't remember right off the bat. This was vehemently opposed by a vast majority of people. Microsoft later backpedaled and made Windows Live a free service.

I realize that Battle.net will have select features monetized, and I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with having to pay just so I can play a competitive game, though. Considering that "feature" was free on Warcraft 3 and Starcraft.

Again, I'm not trying to come off as rude, or seem like I can't comprehend why they would charge for select features. I'm just clarifying my earlier point.
 
Overwatch has 148 Posts

"Personal credit; even if it's the first time in your life, you can get it from us at a simple offspring servitude rate. And besides, when your descendants come to work for us to pay off your debt, they'll be getting the best possible education. Even though you might succeed, your duty to the State is never done. If you do not succeed, you will be expected to complete your 1 year military duty as originally planned. Good luck, and remember: we're here to help you, help us." -Unknown
 

Overwatch is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#12
United States Blazur
Your thoughts betray you
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 396
 Blazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatness
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Activision is definitely becoming the new EA and is quickly being loathed by many. Their penchance for milking a franchise for all its worth is evident in titles like Guitar Hero and COD. But I hope Blizz has enough clout and foresight not to impose a contrived fee for b.net 2.0 when many of us are used to playing on it for free. Hell, that's one of the reasons I fell in love with the company in the first place...because of that arcitecture which allowed me to play online against other humans for the first time and with such ease.

As for Brutal Legend...something tells me that game will be crap anyways.
 
Blazur has 396 Posts

 

Blazur is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#13
Ajman planetx
BF Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Who said some bnet features would cost money?
I've never heard of that, I think few sites reported something of that sort, but they had no source or anything. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby wanted to do that, but I think blizzard won't allow it.

After all they will be selling million of copies of SC2 just for the first part and they can always use ads in bnet, so I don't think they would do such thing, it won't benefit them in the long run as people will start loosing confidence in blizzard!
 
 

planetx is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#14
Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,746
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
Exactly. I myself doubt that base features that both SC1 and War3 have (except custom clans with their own banners) would cost money, as they are free in any (or almost any) popular online game that ever existed so far. (Not counting MMORPGs like WoW)

SC2 itself will be different from WoW, as developpers won't alter the game gradually and add things to it like with WoW. Most new stuff will be added via expansions or patches after expansions are out (Like EA is intending to do with RA3, Blizz even mentionned possibly doing this, like they've done with TFT).

And if the servers cost...Well, that means there will be much less lag. They could even go and do this like with XBOX LIVE, and have special centralized servers for players who want to pay, and they'd have special competitive and community features others wouldn't have, including less laggy games, anti-cheat settings, etc. The cost wouldn't even have to be higher than around 175 bucks a year. (~15$ a month, what WoW costs now)
Xbox Live costs $60 dollars a year which isn't very expensive compare to World of WarCraft; so the number figures can be something like that. It pisses me off whenever people say why should they pay for playing games. Christ, get a real job if you can't pay $5 per month. Most likely your internet will cost $60-80 dollars a month if your using cable; unless our house is getting ripped off by our ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
That's all I was getting at. Sorry if I came off as ecstatic or irrational, but I was under the impression that Battle.net was a P2P service (which would use less bandwidth). World of Warcraft is hosted entirely by Blizzard, which obviously is going to cost a lot more in bandwidth and require a fee to be fiscally doable. I understand all of that. I just can't see a reason to charge for features that were free in another game's version of Battle.net.
Battle.net probably is a P2P server really. I think Blizzard only hosts the server for all the players to connect and communicate and that doesn't get as expensive as having to use bandwidth for actual gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
Activision is definitely becoming the new EA and is quickly being loathed by many. Their penchance for milking a franchise for all its worth is evident in titles like Guitar Hero and COD. But I hope Blizz has enough clout and foresight not to impose a contrived fee for b.net 2.0 when many of us are used to playing on it for free. Hell, that's one of the reasons I fell in love with the company in the first place...because of that arcitecture which allowed me to play online against other humans for the first time and with such ease.

As for Brutal Legend...something tells me that game will be crap anyways.
It is beginning to concern me that Activision is starting to become like EA. I hope they do realise not to fuck with their franchise. It hurts their profit over the long term.

The only actual corporation that can get away with beating the crap out of their franchise is Nintendo.
 
Meteora has 12,746 Posts


: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :
 

Meteora is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  
Reply With Quote


Old 02-13-2009
 
#15
United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 632
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Im not disagreeing with the points you guys make, but I still believe none of this will effect StarCraft II.
Quote:
Who said some bnet features would cost money?
I've never heard of that, I think few sites reported something of that sort, but they had no source or anything. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby wanted to do that, but I think blizzard won't allow it.
Everything you need to know:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/bl...et-monetizing/
 

Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 02-13-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?
 

Crazy_Jonny is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.
Designed by XG3