Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode
 zhurgoul has a spectacular aura aboutzhurgoul has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Protoss reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to this forum. And yes, I mean the whole forum, not just this post.
I find your sarcasm....inspiring. =)

Quote:
I think the most important thing to concider here is that they are aliens.
That is to say: They may not be carbon based, but possibly nitrogen, and absorb radiation, or just energy in general. They may possibly even be sentient plants, getting food through a kind of photosynthesis. They are not mammals, they are definately more reptilian than anything, or some kind of equivalent. For the DT's on Shakuras, they could have adapted to geothermic energy or radioactivity on the planet.
Weeeeeellll...yeah. It's possible that they aren't carbon based, but it's not likely. Scientists have only found one other element that would act in a similar fashion to carbon, and that's silicon if I remember correctly, but even that wouldn't function quite as well so it would be a step back in evolution, not forward. Then again, maybe their anatomy is completely beyond our comprehension, even composed of elements we haven't discovered yet.

Still, that being the case, they are still organisms. They are also, obviously, what humans would define as "animals". I would agree that if we were to apply some type of earth-based phylum to their species, "reptile" would fit nicely, but we shouldn't even try to classify what type of animal they are. The most important fact is that we know they are a two-gender species of the animal kingdom, and can therefore reproduce only in the manner that every other two-gender species of the animal kingdom throughout the galaxy do - hanky panky.

zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhurgoul View Post
K. So, what's gonna happen? Does it have to be moved?
Very likely it will.

Quote:
That is very, very silly. They are organisms, not sentient clouds of energy. Whatever psionic abilities a baby Protoss has is obviously inherent in their genes. I'm guessing Protoss have reproduction organs just like any other two-gender species, but that the process of actual reproduction occurs solemnly and seldomly due to their ability to reach incredible ages before death and due to the moralistic/dogmatic influences of their advanced society and religion.
Yeah I know, it popped right out of my head. Its really something that we don't really know about, a vision blurred up by a fuzzy cloud.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 06-16-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
I find your sarcasm....inspiring. =)
thank you

Quote:
Weeeeeellll...yeah. It's possible that they aren't carbon based, but it's not likely. Scientists have only found one other element that would act in a similar fashion to carbon, and that's silicon if I remember correctly, but even that wouldn't function quite as well so it would be a step back in evolution, not forward. Then again, maybe their anatomy is completely beyond our comprehension, even composed of elements we haven't discovered yet.

Still, that being the case, they are still organisms. They are also, obviously, what humans would define as "animals". I would agree that if we were to apply some type of earth-based phylum to their species, "reptile" would fit nicely, but we shouldn't even try to classify what type of animal they are. The most important fact is that we know they are a two-gender species of the animal kingdom, and can therefore reproduce only in the manner that every other two-gender species of the animal kingdom throughout the galaxy do - hanky panky.
I was concidering silicon as well, which would aid in explaining their ease of conduction of psionic energy (briiliant, I know).

You're wrong about sex being the only option for a two gender species, many forms of plants and insect on earth are capable of asexual reproduction, and if the protoss do in fact have some kind of photosynthetic plantlike aspect to the, asexual procreation is indeed a possibility. We just don't see that kind of evolution here on earth because its very complex in more complex organisms, but if the protoss live for so long I'm sure they can afford to take the time to "bud" offspring.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkceangel View Post
Very likely it will.
K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkceangel View Post
Yeah I know, it popped right out of my head. Its really something that we don't really know about, a vision blurred up by a fuzzy cloud.
Social species on Earth whose female populace is heavily outnumbered by the male populace do one of two things to compensate, invariably: either the female is afforded positions of incredible power in the pack/herd/civilization, thus making it a matriarchal society (hyenas do this), or the female is regarded as little more than a precious possession and is reduced to a fragile prize, barely sentient and valuable only for the womb she possesses, to be protected from potential threats.

More often than not, the latter is the case, and since the rebellious Dark Templar, who strove to be everything the Khala was not, chose a female to be their leader, I'm assuming Protoss are no exception.

Then again, I always envisioned the Khala being dominated by some kind of elusive priestess class... but I dunno, that would make them Templars. Maybe all female Protoss are confined to the Judicator caste, keeping them safe from battle.

Last edited by zhurgoul; 06-16-2007 at 01:51 AM.
zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

I would suspect protoss technology to go way down after aiur got screwed up
they going downhill, I don['t think they can preserve their long life anymore and that means they gotta reproduce. Instead of reproduce can we say shag?

plz don't move thread

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

United States Zergums
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

Quote:

and since the rebellious Dark Templar, who strove to be everything the Khala was not, chose a female to be their leader, I'm assuming Protoss are no exception.

good point

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode

Quote:
thank you
You're welcome!

Quote:
You're wrong about sex being the only option for a two gender species, many forms of plants and insect on earth are capable of asexual reproduction, and if the protoss do in fact have some kind of photosynthetic plantlike aspect to the, asexual procreation is indeed a possibility. We just don't see that kind of evolution here on earth because its very complex in more complex organisms, but if the protoss live for so long I'm sure they can afford to take the time to "bud" offspring.
Alright, so I may have exaggerated my claims a little bit. Yes, I did hear that certain amphibions and reptiles possess hermaphroditic traits, but they are incredibly rare. In fact, the species in which these features are found are considered an evolutionary anomaly.

In plants, it's much more common. In fact, every plant that flowers and develops fruit (which are basically plant ovaries, when you think about it) are hermaphrodites, I believe. Then again, I think I've already stated my opinion on the Protoss being plants... I think that's just silly.

zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
I think I've already stated my opinion on the Protoss being plants... I think that's just silly.
So is stealing a soul but Blizzard does it anyway

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode

Quote:
So is stealing a soul but Blizzard does it anyway
Don't even get me started on that unit. The ensuing obscenity-laden tangent will be severely off-topic.

zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

United States Zergums

we deserve beta keys for being so sc hardcore

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergums View Post
we deserve beta keys for being so sc hardcore
Amen. First intelligent thing I've seen u post all day Zergums.

Old 06-16-2007

United States HuzzuhFooz
BF Member
 HuzzuhFooz has a spectacular aura aboutHuzzuhFooz has a spectacular aura aboutHuzzuhFooz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Amen. First intelligent thing I've seen u post all day Zergums.
And first one I've seen from you.

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode

This is interesting... I was just reading through the original Protoss reproduction thread and someone posted a picture of a female Dark Templar with what appear to be protuberant protrusions jutting from her chest area. In other words, breasts.

He made note of the fact that only mammals have breasts.

Now, I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to have placed those babies on there just to distinguish her from male Protoss, but if they didn't, it may indicate that Protoss are more mammalian than we think - that's if they serve a purpose. As I recall, female humans developed that particular distinguishing factor to the extent that they did as an evolutionary response to the male human's attraction to another part of the body with similar shape.

Seeing as how the conversation has taken a turn for the risque and I'm not sure how the moderators will feel about it, I think I'll quickly add that in no way do I find any of this even remotely arousing. At all.

Someone make note of that.

zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-16-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuzzuhFooz View Post
And first one I've seen from you.
Obviously you haven't looked very hard. Your loss.

On topic: I just realized, the protoss were hunters when the Xel-Naga found them... so why would they need to hunt if they were plants? I feel a little silly now, but at least it gives more help to the silicon based argument.

Old 06-16-2007

United States zhurgoul
ur head asplode

Quote:
I just realized, the protoss were hunters when the Xel-Naga found them... so why would they need to hunt if they were plants? I feel a little silly now, but at least it gives more help to the silicon based argument.
Hmm... that would also indicate that, at one time, they were carnivores. That means if indeed they no longer need to eat, it is a result of INTENSE evolution.

I guess it also means they once had mouths.

zhurgoul has 165 Posts

pm.gif