Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-16-2009

United States n00bonicPlague
Master of All Things Noob
 n00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightenedn00bonicPlague has become enlightened
Exclamation Beta, release, and general timeline updates from Dustin "Cavez" Browder.

Source: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...o=1&sid=3000#0

I see lots of questions about timelines. Here is a little FAQ.

Question: "Why hasn't Blizzard released the Beta?" or "WTF have they been working on, I played it at Blizzcon last year and I thought it was done!"
Answer: Solo campaign is under heavy construction as is Battlenet. When these things have enough work done that we know when our release date is going to be with strong confidence we will announce the Beta. Unless something crazy happens, the Beta is going to happen this year.

Question: "Why don't you just give us your target dates if you don't know the final date? We promise, we won't get mad if Blizzard misses target dates."
Answer: Let's be realistic. Our target dates are not something we hit more than half the time. Putting those out there would be pretty close to lying to the fans. We are not going to do that. We want to be able to give good info, not info that we know is suspect. We'll give target dates when we think it is very likely that we will hit them.

Question: When can we have the next Battle Report?
Answer: We were waiting on getting some improved graphics in (some of the new stuff looked REALLY rough). That was finished last week and we are now playing and looking for a good game. Once we get that game the process is reasonably quick to get it out. Once we go Beta, you guys can do these and put them up. When that happens I'm sure there will be a ton of them and I'm sure the quality of the games played and the announcing will go way up.

Question: "I notice that you haven't actually given us any dates...."
Answer: Yeah. Sorry. We don't want to lie about the Beta, and we don't even want to lie about the next Battle Report. When we know a date (for anything) for certain, we'll let you know.

Hang in there. We're in the final stretch.

Last edited by n00bonicPlague; 02-16-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: formatting clean-up
n00bonicPlague has 71 Posts

Macro and Micro are like Yin and Yang:
two opposing qualities that complement eachother --
maintaining dynamic equilibrium in a single movement.

pm.gif   

Old 02-16-2009

United States Rizhall
moo
 Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!
Default Re: Beta, release, and general timeline updates from Dustin "Cavez" Browder.

Fans are so rude sometimes. If I were him, I wouldn't have answered to that kind of tone of asking.
Can't wait for that next battle report though~

Rizhall has 54 Posts

They call me HADOOOUUUUKEN, cause I'm down-right fierce.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Rizhall Send a message via MSN to Rizhall  

Old 02-16-2009

United States iAm
BF Member
 iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!
Default Re: Beta, release, and general timeline updates from Dustin "Cavez" Browder.

I personally commend the person for standing up and being a little upfront with the developers than being so how do you say "impartial" to the amount of time SC2 is taking. I mean its been 2 years since WWI and we don't even have a firm date of release for beta. To be honest, I too am becoming disgruntled(spelling?).

My main point being, I get tired of hearing fans saying "...oh stop your complaining give them time blah blah blah.". Seriously..? They've had 7 years, get the fuck off your asses and finish the damn game. If all they are working on is Single player and battle.net 2.0, couldn't they just release the beta how it is now? Ugh, I'm ranting, I gtg. Peace.

iAm has 520 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-16-2009

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

They need battle.net so people can actually play(test) the game.

If the only slowdown was the campaign, Blizzard could immediately jump into beta, I presume.

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 02-16-2009

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Good to know, at least that's official confirmation.

Nice to know the next Battle report will be up-to-date with graphics and gameplay.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 02-16-2009

United States Nicol Bolas
BF Member
 Nicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too long

Quote:
My main point being, I get tired of hearing fans saying "...oh stop your complaining give them time blah blah blah.". Seriously..? They've had 7 years, get the fuck off your asses and finish the damn game.
And I'm tired of arrogant fans acting like they deserve something for, essentially, nothing. It's not like Blizzard's getting money for the development of the game; they only get money when the game ships. That's the only thing they need to concern themselves with: shipping the game. Anything, anything else: battle reports, answering our questions, etc, is all irrelevant next to that. They could freely choose to sever communications. And the fact that they don't becomes even more of a credit to them when they have to deal with fans like you that have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Also, when did games in development suddenly become like milk; leave it out too long and it spoils? HL2 was released a full 6 years after HL1, and it didn't curdle. If Browder feels that the game isn't ready for a beta, it isn't ready for a beta. He's got the game, you don't; you're in no position to question it. Furthermore, he knows what he wants from the beta, and you do not. Remember: betas aren't for us; they're for Blizzard, to help them make the game better.

Again, if watching the game in development annoys you, stop watching it. Go do something else. At some point in the future, you'll go to a store and StarCraft II will be on the shelves.

"I still haven't heard a reason why clicks spent overcoming interface limitations to build troops are somehow more indicative of skill than clicks spent maneuvering units and using abilities." - SpiderBrigade

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Quote:
My main point being, I get tired of hearing fans saying "...oh stopyour complaining give them time blah blah blah.". Seriously..? They'vehad 7 years, get the fuck off your asses and finish the damn game.
Stop your complaining, it's not doing anything.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-17-2009

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
And I'm tired of arrogant fans acting like they deserve something for, essentially, nothing. It's not like Blizzard's getting money for the development of the game; they only get money when the game ships. That's the only thing they need to concern themselves with: shipping the game. Anything, anything else: battle reports, answering our questions, etc, is all irrelevant next to that. They could freely choose to sever communications. And the fact that they don't becomes even more of a credit to them when they have to deal with fans like you that have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Also, when did games in development suddenly become like milk; leave it out too long and it spoils? HL2 was released a full 6 years after HL1, and it didn't curdle. If Browder feels that the game isn't ready for a beta, it isn't ready for a beta. He's got the game, you don't; you're in no position to question it. Furthermore, he knows what he wants from the beta, and you do not. Remember: betas aren't for us; they're for Blizzard, to help them make the game better.

Again, if watching the game in development annoys you, stop watching it. Go do something else. At some point in the future, you'll go to a store and StarCraft II will be on the shelves.
I agree.

And iAm, if battle.net is not done then obviously the system for online games is still being worked on, which is why beta can't happen without an online game service running.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 02-17-2009

Canada Wankey
BF Member
 Wankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too long

It's because of companies like EA that has made the community full of ADD infested idiots.

Where is Call of Duty 7? I just bought 6 yesterday and I beat it! Where is NHL2010? I just bought NHL 09!

Blizzard is one of the few companies left that actually take time for their games. Just look at the latest DOW 2, it feels so rushed out the door.

Games come out so fast now that you have barely enough time to actually play them. The funny thing is you still have enough time to beat them. Content quality has gotten worse, and shorter. SC2 is set to blow this mindset out of the water. THIRTY missions!?!?! I can't remember the last time that an RTS game had 30 meaningful, fully scripted, voiced, CGi rendered missions...

It'll be a hell of a ride when it comes out. I'd actually rather the Art department keep doing passes on the units until every race is at the Terran level of detail.

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

Australia Agent-47.
Silent Assassin
 Agent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bonicPlague View Post
Solo campaign is under heavy construction as is Battlenet. When these things have enough work done that we know when our release date is going to be with strong confidence we will announce the Beta. Unless something crazy happens, the Beta is going to happen this year.
this comment saddens me, it sounds like he didnt expect to come out this year, which means, actually releasing the game this year or anytime soons sounds like a stretch

Agent-47. has 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Kicker View Post
I'll accept this when they start printing on the back of Bibles "Warning: This book has been linked to the murder and torture of millions along with a general lack of tolerance for others."

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
It's because of companies like EA that has made the community full of ADD infested idiots.

Where is Call of Duty 7? I just bought 6 yesterday and I beat it! Where is NHL2010? I just bought NHL 09!
Heh funny cause CoD is Activision product who is a Blizzard partner.
EA isn't that bad, they do sometimes bad games but mostly I am very pleased with their products.

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spychi View Post
Heh funny cause CoD is Activision product who is a Blizzard partner.
Which is neither here nor there. Blizzard did not partner up with activision because they wanted to, nor has the partnership affected them in any ways remotely meaningful to fans. Even all WoW haters must admit that Blizz is NOT taking advantage of the expansions by skipping on quality and pushing them out when the 09 needs to come out.

Those sort of games have got it into peoples heads that they're entitled to something, which, as Nicol said, is a RIDICULOUS idea. We're already getting way more than 99% of companies would give their fans.

Edit: to be fair I'm sure this mindset existed long before EA and will continue to exist long after. God knows JKRowling had to put up with it.

Ps. First post ever from my touch... PC is KOd for good, laptop won't pick up our wireless. It's a bitch. =(

Last edited by pureWasted; 02-17-2009 at 09:30 AM.
pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

United States iAm
BF Member
 iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post

I couldn't give two shits less if I got another battle report, Q&A batch, or any of that other pointless bullcrap they give out to the community to help "hold" us over until the beta or release of the game. The only information that matters to me is A) Battle.net 2.0 is finished or B) Beta. Any other stupid facts about the gameplay and other tweaks are irrelevant, being as a majority of the gameplay elements will change in the beta, them giving constant updates on these facts provides no substance. So to address your first paragraph, I don't care if they severed communications. Maybe if they did that they could finish the game faster than they are now.

In regard to keeping it in the development phase for too long.. first off, you gave the example of HL2 which was 6 yrs in development. SC2 has now been in 7 years going on 8 by the time it is released. Lets be realistic. We are waiting for game that has been developing for this long, and if we don't have something that is fuckin magical, everyone will feel robbed. The fact being is that, where they are in the game development now is as far as they are going to get. There is no more innovation available to make the game any better, anything else added will be filler and provide no true value to the end product. So in closing, release beta and get off your sorry asses and finish the game.

iAm has 520 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAm View Post
blah blah blah....Lets be realistic.
No u.

Blizzard can take as long as they want with StarCraft 2, theyre the ones paying for it. Just because they're schedule doesn't fit yours doesn't mean they'll rush the game out the door 'unfinshed'. They need to prove us wrong that Activision has had any effect on them.

And if your gonna complain about how you don't care what info they give out, why should you even bother checking up on them? WC3 should be a good indicator on how long this game is gonna take, it was announced 3 years before its release.. Id love to see the game hit shelves in 2009, but 2010 isnt impossible either.

Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 02-17-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?

pm.gif   

Old 02-17-2009

United States iAm
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
No u.

Blizzard can take as long as they want with StarCraft 2, theyre the ones paying for it. Just because they're schedule doesn't fit yours doesn't mean they'll rush the game out the door 'unfinshed'. They need to prove us wrong that Activision has had any effect on them.

And if your gonna complain about how you don't care what info they give out, why should you even bother checking up on them? WC3 should be a good indicator on how long this game is gonna take, it was announced 3 years before its release.. Id love to see the game hit shelves in 2009, but 2010 isnt impossible either.
I seriously don't care what your Blizzard fanboys say. The fact remains they have been working on this for 7 years now and do nothing it seems but provide false hope of releasing it and a sense of mediocrity in aspects of the game. Whatever.. you fanboys will be sad when its finally released and you're going to ask yourself, "....wtf?! I waited 8 years for this..?!"

iAm has 520 Posts

pm.gif