Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-10-2009

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all
Default Re: Mr Jack has been busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
Jack's Zerg have a consistent trait, every zerg combat unit has a sort of top carapace. The more melee the combat unit is, the bigger the carapace. Notice the Ultralisks head is covered with a huge carapace, the baneling's head only has a small one, the roach has a large top carapace going down its entire body, kinda emphasizing that this is to protect it against air attacks, since it cannot attack air. It gives you the feeling that nature has kept this top carapace trait because it works and has continued to weave it into every zerg unit.
And that's exactly in opposition to Blizzard's aim. Their intention is to make unit types visually distinctive from one another, even if from the same race. Hence, the features being highlighted in a concept art ought to be those that are unique to that unit.

Quote:
His art is also a lot more symmetrical, and since nature loves symmetry, it fits the overall natural zerg look. The bulbous sac of the baneling is centered in Jack's art, not randomly off to the side. Notice the roach is really a copy of itself down the center line.
As opposed to Blizzard's concept art? If you haven't noticed, it's pretty much symmetrical down its center line as well.

Quote:
I think as a texture artist, going by Jack's art would be so much easier since he has gone to the trouble of detailing the various parts of the unit. (Notice how the baneling has changed from that simple concept art to a grotesque unique with bulging sacs of goo)
I disagree there. Due to the way he's colored the art, along with the somewhat lack of clean lines in some parts of the artwork, it makes things a lot more ambiguous than having solid colors and clean lines. Shading and the like would be based more on in-game lighting.

And to add to Nicol's comments, the amount of detail in a concept art is highly dependent on its purposes. Simplified designs and colors with exaggerated features would be useful for smaller models with low poly counts as minute details can neither be seen nor recreated faithfully. Large amounts of detail are only useful if they can be used. Hence, they are more useful in stuff like movies where these tiny details can be picked up and actually matter.

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns

I've been following Mr Jack's work for some time. According to his journal, he actually has some of his work recognized by Blizzard and in their art section. I'm going to try to see if he wants to do some exclusive work for SCL. Since he has the freedom to visit so many Blizzard events, perhaps we can exchange him a free ticket for some special artwork.

Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."
- Gamespy talking about the original Oregon Trail

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Blizzard artwork is also good, but when translating to 3D model some things have to be changed, due to realistic physics animation and to be less graphically demanding.

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
Blizzard artwork is also good, but when translating to 3D model some things have to be changed, due to realistic physics animation and to be less graphically demanding.
Units also have to be changed so they look right from the overhead view and are easy to read.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 02-10-2009

United States Visions of Khas
Savassan's Legacy
 Visions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortalsVisions of Khas is a god among mere mortals

Yeah, I've been watching Jack's progress, and am just in awe at his skill. The coloring of his Roach is particularly striking.

Visions of Khas has 493 Posts

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow
Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
Or is the shaping a culling and excercise in taming?
The road's goal is the dark Origin of Being
But be wary through what thickets it winds.
-Excerpt from the Litany of Residuum;
As Translated by He Who Brings Order

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Visions of Khas  

Old 02-10-2009

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Anyone else thinks the Baneling looks like a Stalker gone wrong? XD

Though, it does look a bit more of a mutation than simple creature. In particular, very diverse from the Zergling while retaining key features (mouth and claws). I like this one.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 02-10-2009

Canada Wankey
BF Member
 Wankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too long

Yeah now that you mention lol.

To be honest... I think a lot of the Protoss units look really really weird. In SC1, none of the protoss units looked like "a face stuck to a dragoon". Most of the Protoss units felt like they were bred for one purpose (dragoon is a cannon with 4 legs, reaver is a crazy factory on wheels)

Now we get the Stalker, whilst the idea is good looks like a very odd looking unit. The Immortal looks even weirder, why does have such a high stature when you can remove the torso and pair the gun together and use the legs are a platform.

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

Canada Psi Warp
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Because things that look like they actually work, are more Terran in essence. Protoss are about delicate designs and etiquette shapes.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

Old 02-10-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Except the siege tank has a rectangular cannon. I'm not sure how that looks like it works.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-10-2009

Canada Psi Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGangGrimmer View Post
Except the siege tank has a rectangular cannon. I'm not sure how that looks like it works.
I remember someone speculating about plasma disks launched by magnetic force, I think that's a good explanation.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

Old 02-10-2009

Canada Wankey
BF Member
 Wankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too long

I thought the square cannon made it a rail gun (two rails of either side) that can launch very big non-cylindrical projectiles.

edit: or what Psi Warp said.

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

United States ManjiSanji
BF Member
 ManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortalsManjiSanji is a god among mere mortals

Anybody seen this version of his Zergling?
http://mr--jack.deviantart.com/art/zergling-75821749
I dig it.

pm.gif   

Old 02-10-2009

Mexico KadajSouba
High Dark Archangeal
 KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!KadajSouba is unstoppable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Warp View Post

Infestor' must be a space snail!

-Psi
Amen

KadajSouba has 91 Posts

Starcraft Gamer - Final Fantasy Lover - Devil May Cry Pwner

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

Malaysia SoFool
The Chinese Cerebrate +)
 SoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightened

His infestor really rocks xD

Others are pretty good.

SoFool has 384 Posts

Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

Singapore GRUNT
BF Member
 GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!GRUNT is unstoppable!

My GOODNESS those are some frickin' sweet works of art! DAY-YAM!

His Roach is my favourite :]. That guy's my pet unit of SC2 :P.

While I don't have anything against the current Infestor design, this guy's take on the unit is certainly extremely impressive! I wouldn't mind seeing an in-game version of it, either :P.

pm.gif