Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Old 02-01-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Never use Fear in Dungeons or Raids; your group will hate you for it.

As long as you got your Voidwalker or Felguard tanking the mob you pretty much shouldn't need to use Fear unless if you aggro them. It's funny how there's like three versions of the bloody spell.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-01-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

If you aren't a scrub you can fear. You just need to know how to do it and when it's appropriate. Fearing a sheeped mob right before it breaks if a mage is busy is a great way to make them like you. And make you lots of water

KP has 9,752 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-02-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
If you aren't a scrub you can fear. You just need to know how to do it and when it's appropriate. Fearing a sheeped mob right before it breaks if a mage is busy is a great way to make them like you. And make you lots of water
In my opinion it's a pretty situational spell; from what other tells me it's probably only best used if it has more positive gains than negative. If your healer is getting pounded on, use Fear. It'll save the raid and buy the healer a bit more time. Otherwise, don't make liberal use of it if possible.

Though I'm not quite so sure about the whole Fearing the Sheep thing. I keep reading that CC doesn't quite matter anymore since in WotLK it's all about AOE spamming.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

Old 02-02-2009

United States Typhun
Mr. 69 (and counting)
 Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...

That is true if you have a good tank and healer. sometimes, your tank isn't geared enough to take hits from multiple sources.

scouring some blue posts, it doesn't seem like blizzard wants instances to stay like that, and i don't blame them. with no wipes, you can run every single heroic in 30-45 minutes right now because they do not require any CC with a gear in lvl 80 blues. its a complete reversal of the previous 4 years of WoW, and to be quite honest, i do not particularly like the path they have taken in PvE, although i do understand why they would. that said, i still think the game is good, but i do miss the challenge of raiding that we had at lvl 60.

Typhun has 6,314 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No. - Rorschach

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Typhun Send a message via MSN to Typhun  

Old 02-02-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member
 Blackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightened

Oh trust me; if you show up to a Heroic in those lvl 80 blues, you won't get in. My server is mandating 2k dps for heroics, which is ludicrous. Especially since AoEing versus single target can result in vastly different dps measures.

EDIT: ok, looking back on that, I sound like a scrub whining that he's been locked out of heroics because of his 'of the Bear' weapon. Which was not my intention; it's just rather hard for some classes to gear up without expending massive amounts of gold on crafting gear. And before 'stfu craft it', I did. my entire Ebonweave set and a +hit helm, all of which I have thankfully now replaced with actual decent gear. 'course, due to shifts in AoE/single-target, my dps is either 1450 (based on the bugged out heroic boss dummy), 2500-2700 (Patchwerk), or 1700-1800 (most of the Plague Wing). I dunno.

Last edited by Blackhand; 02-02-2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: CANDY BARS

Yes Friends. Act now. Destroy Unicron!
Kill The Grand Rhubarb!
Eliminate Even The Toughest Stains!

-Utterred by Wreck-Gar, the Junkion leader, upon departing for the final battle with Unicron at Cybertron.

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Your server is pretty weird then. The minimal expected DPS is at the very least 1,500. Unless your server happens to be one of the first original ones or one of the fastest to have geared up with lots of level 80s then I don't see why they would exclude more people. Then again, there's plenty of DPS to go around.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

Old 02-03-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

level 30. have me a red chicken

siphon life <3

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 02-03-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Using Fear in instances is situational. If there's a lot of room between pulls, you can get away with it as a CC. If you're in Magister's Terrace or Blood Furnace, you're going to get kicked out of your group.

But the key between a good Warlock and amateur night is the Curse of Recklessness spell. It's all-too-common to encounter complete shitwits who think Fear is the George Foreman grill: SET IT AND FORGET IT!!11!ONE

If you want to be anything other than some trash player that gets kicked out of heroics, though, you have to learn what Fear kiting is. When you Fear something, you keep dpsing the target while keeping an eye on your CC. If it starts to run a direction that will pull more mobs, you have to hit it with Curse of Recklessness. The Curse will render the mob Immune to Fear, and he will proceed to rampage directly back at you.

At that point you Curse of Tongues it, succubus Charm it, position yourself, and Fear it again. Then proceed with DPS. The two things to remember are that Curse of Recklessness has a range, and that if Fear misses (if you don't have enough hit), you should have a contingency plan. I'm Tailoring, so I'll hit it with a Net and re-do the Fear. If you fuck up the Fear, the mob runs up on you, one-shots you, and proceeds to work the rest of the group, you'll probably get a lot of angry players. Additionally, if you don't grab enough aggro or wait too long, the mob will go for the healer. I don't have to explain why this is bad.

Anyway, good luck with leveling. People will talk about how it's so easy with Warlocks and the like, and they're kind of retarded. They've apparently never leveled with a plate wearer or something.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

the pet is so fucking awesome. seriously. at this point the pet tanks 4-5 mobs no sweat (though generally I tell it stay as I run away since 4-5 mobs is sort of nuts).

thats what I like about the lock, there are so many options. or will be when I gain some levels. I'm also finding that nightfall proc or whatever (the 2 talent points) to be sort of useless. it triggers once in a blue moon and half the time I don't even use it because doing so would pull the mob off my void >.>

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 02-05-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member
 Blackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightened
Default Re: Warlock Leveling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
Using Fear in instances is situational. If there's a lot of room between pulls, you can get away with it as a CC. If you're in Magister's Terrace or Blood Furnace, you're going to get kicked out of your group.

But the key between a good Warlock and amateur night is the Curse of Recklessness spell. It's all-too-common to encounter complete shitwits who think Fear is the George Foreman grill: SET IT AND FORGET IT!!11!ONE

If you want to be anything other than some trash player that gets kicked out of heroics, though, you have to learn what Fear kiting is. When you Fear something, you keep dpsing the target while keeping an eye on your CC. If it starts to run a direction that will pull more mobs, you have to hit it with Curse of Recklessness. The Curse will render the mob Immune to Fear, and he will proceed to rampage directly back at you.

At that point you Curse of Tongues it, succubus Charm it, position yourself, and Fear it again. Then proceed with DPS. The two things to remember are that Curse of Recklessness has a range, and that if Fear misses (if you don't have enough hit), you should have a contingency plan. I'm Tailoring, so I'll hit it with a Net and re-do the Fear. If you fuck up the Fear, the mob runs up on you, one-shots you, and proceeds to work the rest of the group, you'll probably get a lot of angry players. Additionally, if you don't grab enough aggro or wait too long, the mob will go for the healer. I don't have to explain why this is bad.

Anyway, good luck with leveling. People will talk about how it's so easy with Warlocks and the like, and they're kind of retarded. They've apparently never leveled with a plate wearer or something.
Can't do that any more. THey took the immunity to fear off Recklessness and added reduced armor. So fear in PvE is now completely useless, unless you're a tailor that carries nets around. And I'd say if I were fearing in anything but a guild group, I'd get kicked. Not that it matters since 90% of Northrend is immune to it anyways.

Kill The Grand Rhubarb!

-Utterred by Wreck-Gar, the Junkion leader, upon departing for the final battle with Unicron at Cybertron.

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Glorious. I'm glad to see that our utility has been marginalized even more!

To be fair, though, in heroics and raids it's not like you need CC anymore.

Just AoE and win.

pm.gif   

Old 02-06-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Yep mechanics are gone from raids as is thinking, sit back and aoe.

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-11-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Satharion 3D?

Maly25 in 6mins?

Thinking be not gone.

I loved leveling my lock. Up through BC I leveled straight affliction, training legions of mobs behind me with the ridiculous Drain Tank and Dot-Drain Tanking. Hell, with the new talent changes, it was no problem for a warlock to Solo a Fel Reaver.

In Northrend, things are slightly different. While all 3 specs, even destro, can succeed, I recommend a Siphon Life/Felguard build. The sole reason is that with the immense survivability of the spec, many of the group quests become easily soloable, even some of the 5man quests.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-11-2009

You Want My Shoes?

Yeah fighting huge mobs works really well, but the survivability begets gross inefficiency. Try to chain kill 30 mobs in under 5 minutes. You can't. Not because you can't survive it, but because you can't kill them fast enough.

pm.gif   

Old 02-12-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member

I forsee a SL/FG lock eventually taking down Thrym, the Hope Ender. He's a 82 elite with 630k health who melees for 10-15k, in Scourged Zul'Drak.

Kill The Grand Rhubarb!

pm.gif