Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Old 01-30-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz
Default Warlock Leveling?

Hey guys. I've had two lowbie alts that I've been alternating between the past week or so and both are 24 now, one's a hunter and one's a warlock. Long story short, I find the warlock more fun, and completely different from my druid, or oddly similar depending.

Anyway I sort of twinked him out with some spellthread pants and such and have been having a blast, but the last time i looked up warlock leveling, affliction was the fastest way to level, then to swap to demonology around 40 or 50 or so.

So anyone have any thoughts? I figured I'd just stay affliction, though I might respec since my talents are sort of all over the place. For early talents which ones are the best?

Also having a 2k hp voidwalker is just gravy. I took down sarltooth yesterday at level 23, which was hilariously fun seeing damage ticks of 2 and 3.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 01-30-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Well as far as I know of it, you can either level up as Affliction all the way to until level 70 and then swap out for Destruction or Demonology. The reasoning why Afflication is the best leveling build is because of a lack of a downtime (healing and such). I think that at level 50 it's plausible to respec to Demonology because by then you can summon a Felguard, which is a buffed up version of a Voidwalker but with added DPS. Arguably the best pet for the Warlock.

Can't say much about the talent points earlier on except for dumping a few into Demonic Embrace; which boosts up your stamina by 2/4/6/8/10%.

Here is my planned leveling build: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 01-30-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

You don't stop Affliction until you're 80. Then you choose whether you want to be Affliction or Destruction. Demonology has a raid build that benefits the raid DPS, but isn't worthwhile for 5 mans or soloing. You'll get bored of Affliction and try Felguard at 51 or 52 or something, thinking it'll be cool to try something different. Then you'll realize that your DPS depends entirely on your pet and without it you're weak as hell. Which is fine, until it pulls two mobs and you have one on you, and you need the Felguard to pick up the slack, but he can't. He dies, and you've got three mobs going to town on your face while you struggle to fight back.

In areas like Plaguelands, this is extremely pronounced. Tight, frequent mobs make it very difficult for Demonology and Destruction Warlocks. Affliction can slap up 3 Siphon Life, CoA, and Corruptions, and cheese it. The mobs will try to follow and they may eventually daze and start beating on you, but Drain Life + 3 Siphon Lifes means they'll be dying before they can get you hurt. If push comes to shove, you can eat your Void Walker and that's another 3k damage you can take.

As for talents, you go solid Affliction until you've got 53 points.

2/2 Improved Curse of Agony, 5/5 Improved Corruption
2/2 Drain Soul, 2/2 Soul Siphon
3/3 Fel Concentration, 1/1 Amplify Curse
2/2 Grim Reach, 2/2 Nightfall, 3/3 Empowered Corruption
1/1 Siphon Life, 5/5 Shadow Embrace
5/5 Shadow Mastery
5/5 Contagion, 1/3 Eradication
1/1 Unstable Affliction -> 3/3 Pandemic, 3/3 Death's Embrace
1/1 Haunt

You only take 1 point in Eradication because it's got a 30s cooldown. It's mostly for Shadowbolt spamming for raid bosses. You can swap Nightfall for Nightmare, or take both and drop Eradication entirely; it's your preference, it depends on how often you Fear things.

You can also elect to drop Pandemic and take Improved Howl of Terror, depending on your crit chance. If you're sporting 10% crit or something pathetic like that, I find that instant Howl of Terrors have saved my bacon numerous times when I got greedy and pulled too many mobs, vs. a rather lame +20dps. Of course, this was back when you could suffer pushback indefinitely, as opposed to WotLK's 3.0 "two pushbacks and a guaranteed cast".

Dark Pact can be nice too, when you're constantly OOM and your voidwalker is over there like "What? Why are you glaring at me?" with full mana all the damned time.

Anyway, let me know if you need any more help.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member
 Blackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightened

Haunt changed things drastically for an affliction lock. Now you stand and cast, as opposed to the older jump around dotting everything taking half a zone then going back and looting. Your spec will need to look a lot different until you get Haunt, because until then you should be concentrating on Drain Life, and rarely, if ever, using Shadow Bolt.

I suggest something like this build
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000
before 60, and Haunt. The only time you should be using Shadow Bolt is Nightfall procs, so Shadow's Embrace is now useless until Haunt. The main reason is now Shadow's Embrace is applied only on Haunt and Shadow Bolt, and until 70ish you have a 3 second Shadow Bolt. Why are you not Draining Life from something during those 3 seconds?

Last edited by Blackhand; 01-31-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Belittling Shadow's Embrace more.

Yes Friends. Act now. Destroy Unicron!
Kill The Grand Rhubarb!
Eliminate Even The Toughest Stains!

-Utterred by Wreck-Gar, the Junkion leader, upon departing for the final battle with Unicron at Cybertron.

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States TheRabidDeer
Voting independent
 TheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of win

Never ever level destro. Unless you like downtime....

Once you hit 71 you can try out Siphon life/felguard as well, if you are bored of being full affliction.

Take the power from the parties and vote independent in 2008.

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member
 Blackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightenedBlackhand has become enlightened

Good ol' SL/SL. honestly I wouldn't bother with the Felguard, but I'm a bit biased against them.

Kill The Grand Rhubarb!

-Utterred by Wreck-Gar, the Junkion leader, upon departing for the final battle with Unicron at Cybertron.

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Meh, same. I think they're kind of junky. Regardless, leveling Destro after 70 was plausible for me for a number of reasons including new talents that give back HP/mana for kills. Up until 74-75, anyway, when all my crit gear was worth about 66% of its previous value.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Its worth mentioning that Destro needs a substantial amount of crit and so you might see a fall in DPS until you get the proper gear. Destro is much more gear orientated than it is with Affliction. You can have crap gear with Affliction and still do well (at least for leveling or lower level dungeons) but not with Destro.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 01-31-2009

United States RogueRed2
BF Member
 RogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of winRogueRed2 is made of win

just roll your head on the keyboard and you'll be 80 in no time.

RogueRed2 has 1,417 Posts

...........................................||___
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|||__..____
|......HOMO...TRUCK.......|||..........__|
|_..._...______.........._____|||___|]__|
"'(0)'(0)'''''''''''''''(0)(0)****-------(0)

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Haha

Stand around in Orgrimmar and you'll ding before you know it...

You picked the two easiest classes to level so just stick with a build that is working for you and try not to vary... fucking around is going to add a lot of time to your alt. Sticking with one build to 80 if it's a good build is the way to go.

KP has 9,752 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-01-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

I probably will stick with affliction anyway, I might swap to demonology just to break it up a bit, but pfft.

After a druid I don't think anything a warlock can throw at me will be "difficult", especially leveling wise.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 02-01-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member

No. If you're not a retard (which you've shown little sign of being Neo) warlocks are insanely easy (and fun) to level.

Kill The Grand Rhubarb!

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

I've noticed. Although with a couple of twinky things already on Zimith things are almost too easy. Can't wait to hit 30 though. I find the mobility of a druid is extremely difficult to break when swapping characters.

I'm thinking about farming for a good pair of twinky pants and slapping on a major spellthread on them.

Zimith's professions are also sort of wacked. I made him an alchemist but only to make me free action potions, I'm considering swapping it with Tailoring (he's also an enchanter) since those things seem to go together.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 02-01-2009

Netherlands Hunta
Radical
 Hunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than you

Warlock leveling:

Dot Dot Dot Fear

next

Dot Dot Dot Fear

next

Dot Dot Dot Fear

Repeat ad infinitum.

So basicly spec into Affliction, yes.

Hunta has 1,063 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

United States Blackhand
BF Member

I don't bother with fear myself. But then I'm weird, and now have 49 alts across 3 servers. 4 total warlocks.

EDIT: 5. forgot one.

Last edited by Blackhand; 02-01-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: t3h mindz!

Kill The Grand Rhubarb!

pm.gif