Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes


Old 12-13-2008
 
#46
United States TheRabidDeer
Voting independent
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,610
 TheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of win
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
Whoa whoa whoa there skippy. I never said my friend from the pentagon did any of that shit. You are reading a story that you are making up in your head. I have more than one friend, and the friend that got the virus was not the same as the other. I seriously doubt the computer security guy would have the time for WoW, much less a long enough break in paranoia to start downloading addons and installing them to a live program that exchanges information back-and-forth to his computer without monitoring. As for the DBM bit, I may have switched names or simply not looked hard enough. Regardless, the particular name of the addon seems a little non-sequitur given the basis of the entire disagreement.
Logic is in place during any point at which an argument is made. It's an unseparable facet of reasoning; you build a conclusion by making premises. Just because you don't understand logical fallacies doesn't mean that it's somehow invalid or a fake means of proving that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. The reason you hear these terms used mostly in debates is because those are particular situations in which efficiently proving your opponent is using a corrupt means of forming a reasonable opposition to your own point is crucial. Of course, you'll want to retreat from this reality as fast as possible, because you really have no response (nor understanding) for the problems with your impromptu rickety support propping up your crumbling case.

And it's really cool how you make absolutist statements like "that would never happen, there are hundreds of thousands of users and someone would catch it", then go on to say "oh that was just one instance". I prove another and you say "that's just two". I prove another and you say "that's just three". etc. Obviously your statement was false and the basis it was built on is falsified. Your only real defense now is to minimize it with such statements and pray that nobody notices that you were proven a complete blustering buffoon. This is a rather drastic step away from your pompous remarks about your infalliable system of peer review and your vast computer security expertise based on your amateur assessment of the thread.

I'm fairly satisfied with having exposed you as an incompetent fraud with an inferiority complex, but you can feel free to keep going and give me more ammo.
Me calling you a liar is not a logical fallacy. I also dare you to find more than that single case of an addon on a major site containing a virus.

EDIT: I also find it rather funny that somebody that calls out logical fallacies on the internet and regularly uses well... almost all of them on a regular basis in any argument.
 

Last edited by TheRabidDeer; 12-13-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Take the power from the parties and vote independent in 2008.
 

TheRabidDeer is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2008
 
#47
BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,110
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
hey just fyi buddy deadlybossmods had a virus encoded in it not too long ago that dl'd user/pass from people that downloaded it. i saw a friend get a GIANT account hacked (4 70s w/full epics) because of that trash and he almost lost his account because he'd been sharing it with people he trusted (eg me and his roommate). the biggest problem with computer security today is people acting like that if it has so-and-so's name on it, it must be OK. programs can be tampered, faked, etc. the more you download, the more you increase your odds of getting one.

i have a firewall and anti-malware and have some pretty snotty standards before i'll let anything dl onto my HDD. gotta be careful with autodownloaders of anything, especially. i've seen people lose work because they left it open, something autodownloaded and hung the comp or forced a restart. i have a friend in a five sided building that thinks i'm way too loose with my security, if you want a sense of perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
sorta the thing. for instance I download auctioneer from the auctioneer site, when possible I try to go to the source. truth is that unless the addon asked you (and you agreed) to execute something outside of wow, they can not do something like keylog or then transmit that data.

and not to be an ass or anything, but you're friend sounds sort of oblivious, I'd never run an exe for an addon, trusted or not, and why would you not be running any sort of antivirus or anti-malware?

and bartender is pissing me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
i don't think people working in the pentagon as security analysts count as oblivious.

that's just my opinion, i will completely admit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
Whoa whoa whoa there skippy. I never said my friend from the pentagon did any of that shit. You are reading a story that you are making up in your head. I have more than one friend, and the friend that got the virus was not the same as the other. I seriously doubt the computer security guy would have the time for WoW, much less a long enough break in paranoia to start downloading addons and installing them to a live program that exchanges information back-and-forth to his computer without monitoring. As for the DBM bit, I may have switched names or simply not looked hard enough. Regardless, the particular name of the addon seems a little non-sequitur given the basis of the entire disagreement.
I would like to direct your attention to the things I bolded.

After claiming that I felt your friend was sort of oblivious you made the pentagon statement. If that was untrue, or you were referring to someone else entirely separate from this friend's WoW issue, then I've got to wonder exactly what the fuck you were talking about.

You mention DBM specifically, and go onto argue that point and are now suggesting perhaps that wasn't it? TRD has a valid point that if something as exceedingly popular as DBM had a trojan/keylogger/virus then it would've caused quite a stir in the WoW community. And why the fuck are you two arguing like some kind of pathetic college nerds? WTF are either of you trying to accomplish? I was just here to point out you've got to be an idiot to run any sort of executable for an add-on.

NERD RAAGGGEEE
 
Neo has 10,110 Posts
 

Neo is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wtf? Amok Chit Chat 35 01-01-2009 06:18 AM
WTF?! spychi Chit Chat 1 11-15-2008 07:18 PM
WTF is this?! spychi Chit Chat 25 10-29-2008 08:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.
Designed by XG3