Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Old 12-03-2008

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
wow really

i thought wow automatically moved the old interface folders to a backup one during major patch changes.

In that case missilX then apparently the other replies really are completely worthless, sorry LOL

how can you guys trust the curse client? :\
My sister insisted me to do so. I never use the actual Curse Client (because I presumed it was broken when I was using it for the first time and it never loaded shit, but that could be on my end of technical difficulties), it's been idling doing nothing at the moment. I prefer to manually install addons. Though it might get to the point of being annoyed to regularly update the addons before I use the client.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 12-04-2008

Canada missilX
Jello
 missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
wow way to install the big brother program, genius

you have to delete all the old folders or it fucks with your new ones
WHat? What is so bad about the curse client?

missilX has 7,783 Posts

You kick it like me no exaggeration necessary//living revolutionary//nothing less than legendary

pm.gif   

Old 12-04-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

I dunno. I mean didn't curse already have the fiasco of spyware or something?

I just would prefer to know the addons I'm installing are just theaddons, nothing extra (Though in my case I also have to watch what else I run since WoW is at the tail end of what I can run LOL).

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 12-04-2008

United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilX View Post
WHat? What is so bad about the curse client?
It runs in resident memory, nuff said. Any program that you have that can turn itself on, turn itself off, or access the internet at will is a program you do not want. Unless it's a dedicated firewall, it's guaranteed that at some point it will be doing something without your permission that you would probably have a problem with. "Let's download this guy's web browser history! Let's pass along his play habits! Let's hog up a bunch of memory for ads!"

The more shit you download into resident memory, the more your malware finder will have to work to try to keep up with your ignorant habits. Self updating programs are a no, self modifying, self monitored, etc. etc. Don't trust a vendor to be looking out for your best interests, they're not. If you can't turn it off, completely off with no other spider legs sticking out, don't download it.

GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-04-2008

Canada missilX
Jello
 missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!missilX IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

I duno it seems to be working fine. And no one else has complained about it...

missilX has 7,783 Posts

You kick it like me no exaggeration necessary//living revolutionary//nothing less than legendary

pm.gif   

Old 12-04-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

GA honestly that's sort of paranoid and would discount most legitimate programs, such as anything from Google heh. I think WoWInterface's UI thingy might be interesting, but seeing as I have a total of like 5 addons again I don't think I need to worry about that.

Curse always made me wary for some reason, to this day I still look elsewhere if I can for an addon :|

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 12-04-2008

You Want My Shoes?
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...

Yeah well I've been in computer security and I've watched computers and the Internet evolve from x86 processors and Windows 3.0 / DOS to now. All I can say is that if you're not paranoid, you haven't been paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI
I duno it seems to be working fine.
How are you determining its processes? How are you monitoring its memory usage, downloads, and Internet access? If you can't answer these three questions with legitimate programs, then you have no information about how the program is working. Just because you don't see bluescreens or error - OK boxes popping up doesn't mean a program is benevolent.
Quote:
And no one else has complained about it...
Waiting until your doctor tells you something you're doing is unhealthy before considering your habits' value to your health isn't the best way to approach your problems.

Last edited by GenocideAlive; 12-04-2008 at 05:50 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 12-04-2008

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

I'd agree with GA to some degree but without the conspiracy theory to back it up. If you know how to install your own addons then do so. Curse's program takes up unnecessary space supports multiple games and always seems to be giving you multiple popups, I would suggest not getting it but that's just me.

KP has 9,752 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 12-04-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

Quote:
Yeah well I've been in computer security...
You listen to Steve Gibson at all? Taking paranoid to the extreme!

Look I didn't mean to disparage you or anything, I'm paranoid too, but when something as massive of wow... I mean can you imagine how many people play WoW and the unlikely event that none of them who use Curse's Client would be curious about it to delve deeper?

Personally I would never use it because I've got the old fashioned shit going on -- do it all my self, even to the detriment of efficiency, which really screws me up sometimes (i love to be efficient) -- that and I just like having control over my computer.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 12-04-2008

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
You listen to Steve Gibson at all? Taking paranoid to the extreme!

Look I didn't mean to disparage you or anything, I'm paranoid too, but when something as massive of wow... I mean can you imagine how many people play WoW and the unlikely event that none of them who use Curse's Client would be curious about it to delve deeper?

Personally I would never use it because I've got the old fashioned shit going on -- do it all my self, even to the detriment of efficiency, which really screws me up sometimes (i love to be efficient) -- that and I just like having control over my computer.
You could say the same for addons. >_> How the hell do we know if it just simply codes down UI things rather than do something else aside from that?

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 12-04-2008

Canada missilX
Jello

Quote:
How are you determining its processes? How are you monitoring its memory usage, downloads, and Internet access? If you can't answer these three questions with legitimate programs, then you have no information about how the program is working. Just because you don't see bluescreens or error - OK boxes popping up doesn't mean a program is benevolent.
I have no ideas, but my computer's performance has not changed since I have installed it, so what ever it does its not bothering me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
I'd agree with GA to some degree but without the conspiracy theory to back it up. If you know how to install your own addons then do so. Curse's program takes up unnecessary space supports multiple games and always seems to be giving you multiple popups, I would suggest not getting it but that's just me.
I would have gladly done that but for some reason the old way you did it does not work and no one on here would give me the fucking directory path to where to drop them.

missilX has 7,783 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-05-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
You could say the same for addons. >_> How the hell do we know if it just simply codes down UI things rather than do something else aside from that?
Because AddOns, by function, cannot affect anything outside of WoW, in fact they are even boxed in to what they CAN affect in WoW for that matter. That sort of goes out the window if you run something like the Curse Client though

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 12-05-2008

You Want My Shoes?

Quote:
Because AddOns, by function, cannot affect anything outside of WoW, in fact they are even boxed in to what they CAN affect in WoW for that matter. That sort of goes out the window if you run something like the Curse Client though
hey just fyi buddy deadlybossmods had a virus encoded in it not too long ago that dl'd user/pass from people that downloaded it. i saw a friend get a GIANT account hacked (4 70s w/full epics) because of that trash and he almost lost his account because he'd been sharing it with people he trusted (eg me and his roommate). the biggest problem with computer security today is people acting like that if it has so-and-so's name on it, it must be OK. programs can be tampered, faked, etc. the more you download, the more you increase your odds of getting one.

i have a firewall and anti-malware and have some pretty snotty standards before i'll let anything dl onto my HDD. gotta be careful with autodownloaders of anything, especially. i've seen people lose work because they left it open, something autodownloaded and hung the comp or forced a restart. i have a friend in a five sided building that thinks i'm way too loose with my security, if you want a sense of perspective.

pm.gif   

Old 12-05-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

sorta the thing. for instance I download auctioneer from the auctioneer site, when possible I try to go to the source. truth is that unless the addon asked you (and you agreed) to execute something outside of wow, they can not do something like keylog or then transmit that data.

and not to be an ass or anything, but you're friend sounds sort of oblivious, I'd never run an exe for an addon, trusted or not, and why would you not be running any sort of antivirus or anti-malware?

and bartender is pissing me off.

Neo has 10,110 Posts

Old 12-05-2008

You Want My Shoes?

i don't think people working in the pentagon as security analysts count as oblivious.

that's just my opinion, i will completely admit.

pm.gif