Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-14-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme
Default Re: Activision, you worry me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunem View Post
Well, to be fair, I expected the latest CoD to be horrible just because it's Treyarch. Sure they took everything IW did and made tweaks, but hey, better that then Cod3.
I just don't -like- Treyarch in general and frown on Activision for making the COD series milked to death by releasing a game each year. The only way I can handle this is by skipping every game that comes out on the odd year (2001, 2003, 2005, etc.) and buy the ones on the even years (2002, 2004, 2006, etc.). I'm hoping that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be just as mind blowing as COD4; but that's saying a lot for the game that set a whole new standard for themselves and perhaps FPS gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757* View Post
Which is to say, hardly at all.
Indeed. My Brood War disc went missing and so I had to play the original StarCraft on Battlenet and I had to say... Holy crap. The population there must have been no more than 30,000. I was used to Brood War's half a million players or so of activity and gaming.

The strategy behind making the game and two expansion packs with separate storyline is just to reduce production time for a single game. We've already been waiting for a decade for the bloody game to come out; Blizzard wants to get it out as soon as possible. They know we will be hungry for more lore from StarCraft 2 and so will get us to purchase the two other expansion packs at hopefully a reasonable price a expansion pack should be.

Take a look at Half-Life 2. It's got three expansion packs, two released and one still in production. Valve would have one hell of a production time to put into if they tried squeezing all of that into one game. The original game was released in November 2004, that was 5 years ago. So the wait would have been exceptionally long. Since each game of StarCraft 2 will be as long as the original StarCraft then that's worth a shitload of storyline to dissect through. Having the players wait for so much longer will just make the game look like a joke of itself.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-14-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
Xbox Live costs $60 dollars a year which isn't very expensive compare to World of WarCraft; so the number figures can be something like that. It pisses me off whenever people say why should they pay for playing games. Christ, get a real job if you can't pay $5 per month. Most likely your internet will cost $60-80 dollars a month if your using cable; unless our house is getting ripped off by our ISP.
Its about Value per cost dear friend, not all mindlessly and blindly want to pay countless of dollars just to play a game which they already payed for say $40 in the first place.

For example if you buy a chair do the company that made it require you to pay additional money every time you sit on it?

People who would like to play the game, but find $5 or $15 too much to pay for every month have all the right to be irritated.

And never the less going from country to country the average net salary goes from $50.000 to $150.
Thats why say WOW is most popular in the USA and not so much in other countries.

We all know running a server costs a lot of money, but why should the consumer care about that?

In the end, one will value his options and decide if he/she is ultimately going to buy the game and pay per month or not.

For $15 per month you could be buying dozens of burgers or coke's.

So your comment really doesn't have merit in it and is totally wrong.

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
Its about Value per cost dear friend, not all mindlessly and blindly want to pay countless of dollars just to play a game which they already payed for say $40 in the first place.

For example if you buy a chair do the company that made it require you to pay additional money every time you sit on it?

People who would like to play the game, but find $5 or $15 too much to pay for every month have all the right to be irritated.

And never the less going from country to country the average net salary goes from $50.000 to $150.
Thats why say WOW is most popular in the USA and not so much in other countries.

We all know running a server costs a lot of money, but why should the consumer care about that?

In the end, one will value his options and decide if he/she is ultimately going to buy the game and pay per month or not.

You can't compare buying a chair with playing a game; they're both different things.. A gaming company provides you the service of entertainment, which is up to the company to decide if they want to charge you money. A store can do that as well, but it's impractical and outright stupid.

I'm not saying you should or need to pay subscription fees; it's up the person's choice. But I get mad over at people who whine or complain about it if they aren't paying subscription fees in the first place. That's fine, we pay money for our entertainment on a daily basis. It's an individual choice.

Consumers should know that servers does cost money. They reason that they shouldn't pay subscription fees because it doesn't make sense to them; as they either don't like the idea or don't know why it's there in the first place. There are factors determining why companies favour monthly fees; such as server maintenance.

And dozens of burgers? Maybe in places in Asia but certainly not in North America or Europe.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

Old 02-14-2009

United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/bl...et-monetizing/ (Im just reposting this again incase you didnt see it the first time).

I think it what it basically comes down to is SCII wont be subscription based(they say Diablo 3, but I think it implies SC2), but other things might cost money. So if you want to jump online and play with a few friends or something, you still should.

Quote:

WoW costs money to stay afloat, its not like keeping up a website. Alot of bandwidth cost alot of money. I'm not saying it justifies paying 15 us dollars a month, but it DOES cost. Thats why Im not an MMO gamer, that and Im not interested in WoW... yet anyway.

Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 02-14-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?

pm.gif   

Old 02-14-2009

Canada bunem
Get Some!
 bunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supreme

Quote:
That's an awful example. Chairs dont provide creative and great story telling, stellar visuals, and sharp controls in a virtual environment. Though they are essential to the process, and you do need to sit....

Quote:
Isn't it cheaper to just get the whole combo and get the fries as well?

Quote:
He's wrong because he is trying to tell you why it makes sense to pay for certain features of video games? Face it, the gaming industry is a big deal now. So this will happen. Money will be made in new ways, and people will pay.

bunem has 302 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to bunem  

Old 02-16-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Quote:
That's an awful example. Chairs dont provide creative and great story telling, stellar visuals, and sharp controls in a virtual environment. Though they are essential to the process, and you do need to sit....
Yeah but games don't provide you with beautiful aestetical shapes, stellar wood work, and room comfort.

But yes, the example isn't really on pair, but never the less do movie companies charge you if you watch their movie second or third time?
Do application developers charge you every time you use their application, etc, etc..

pm.gif   

Old 02-16-2009

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

Err, the reason a chair is a bad example is that it doesn't require an infrastructure that has to be constantly maintained in order to function. Once you make a chair, anyone can sit in it without any further effort on the part of the chairmaker. This is the same for movies and software - once they are finished, they can be used by the purchaser without ongoing work on the part of the creator.

There are plenty of examples out there (I mean outside of gaming multiplayer) on both sides of this issue. There are lots of ongoing services that are free or paid for by the initial hardware purchase (FM radio, many GPS units) and plenty that require a fee (cable television, cell phones).

Personally I don't have a huge problem with monetizing certain features, so long as the basic service is free. My guess is that all of the current features of BNet will be included free, since they obviously can afford to offer these based on game sales. Additional features like clan management, tournament organization, etc. could reasonably require payment.

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-16-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Quote:
Yeah but games don't provide you with beautiful aestetical shapes, stellar wood work, and room comfort.

But yes, the example isn't really on pair, but never the less do movie companies charge you if you watch their movie second or third time?
Do application developers charge you every time you use their application, etc, etc..
Theaters certainly do charge you for watching another movie on the other day. I'm not so sure about sitting around your ass waiting for the movie to start again after you've finished watching it.

Actually some application developers do charge on a monthly or annual fees. I think Norton is one of them. Last I remember we had a big fat subscription renewal popup whenever we start our computer. It really all depends on the type of market, the type of application and most certainly the method how developers want to charge you.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

Old 02-16-2009

Canada bunem
Get Some!
 bunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supremebunem reigns supreme

Quote:
Lol. No one is arguing with you on that one. chief.

Quote:
Like the posters above already said, plenty of products need monthly fees, usage fees, and so on. The perfect example above was movie theaters. A game you only buy once and pay for certain features. Movies that are in theaters you have to pay for EVERY TIME YOU GO. Imagine paying for a game every time you wanted to play 2 hours of it?

Wait a second... Isn't that how arcades/internet cafe's work!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Well slap my ass and call me uncle...

bunem has 302 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to bunem  

Old 02-16-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Quote:
Like the posters above already said, plenty of products need monthly fees, usage fees, and so on. The perfect example above was movie theaters. A game you only buy once and pay for certain features. Movies that are in theaters you have to pay for EVERY TIME YOU GO. Imagine paying for a game every time you wanted to play 2 hours of it?

Wait a second... Isn't that how arcades/internet cafe's work!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Well slap my ass and call me uncle...
I did wanted to bring up internet cafe but I never thought of arcades before. Good call.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts