Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat > Works-In-Progress

Works-In-Progress Help for any authors or musicians seeking constructive criticism.

Old 06-26-2008

United Kingdom Grunfeld
Sleep is the golden chain
 Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!
Default Music - Losing You

I did this the other day with a couple of guys. I play a bit of guitar on it but it was written and sung by the bass player and the guitarist. I did the programming, recording, and production.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6661363

Hope you enjoy!

Grün

Last edited by Grunfeld; 06-26-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Grunfeld has 31 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Reaver
 Reaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant futureReaver has a brilliant future

It's thoroughly and well produced track. You've got a really nice drum sound. The only negative thing I can say about the track is the disted "chugga-chugga"part after the second chorus. That's just a matter of personal taste though -- I'd probably would've liked slightly less dist. The Coldplay-esque lead guitar really, really lifts the song. Really nice vocal sound as well -- how did you record that?

Reaver has 102 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2008

United Kingdom Grunfeld
 Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!Grunfeld is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
It's thoroughly and well produced track. You've got a really nice drum sound. The only negative thing I can say about the track is the disted "chugga-chugga"part after the second chorus. That's just a matter of personal taste though -- I'd probably would've liked slightly less dist. The Coldplay-esque lead guitar really, really lifts the song. Really nice vocal sound as well -- how did you record that?
Thanks. The "metal chugs" have been the least favourite bit of a few people but I kind of like them still.

I did the drums using new software, BFD2 which sounds bloody awesome. At 60 GB it's not small though! And I programmed the drums with one of these AKAI MPD24 which is way easier than trying to play drums from a MIDI keyboard.

It was all recorded here, see pics, in Sonar 7.

Thanks for listening

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grun_music_room01.jpg (79.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg grun_music_room04.jpg (129.2 KB, 12 views)
Grunfeld has 31 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-20-2008

Netherlands LXM
Artist
 LXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too much

Wow. This is very good. How serious are you/your friends into making music? Because it sounds great.

I'll admit that I'm not a real fan of the sound the singer is producing, but that's a matter of personal preference, he sang really well and I was able to put it aside me and listen to the sing comfortably.

However, especially in the first few lines I felt there were too many words and sentences being put together in a relative short amount of time. Personally I'd think it would sound better with more room for the words and more pauses.

Chorus was good!

In the second verse I started to get used to the many words, and it started to sound better but I still felt a bit uncomfortable at times. I don't know if you were aiming for the fast-paced singing but sometimes I felt it was just too much, and some stops in the singing didn't sound too great. But again, that's just to me.

I actually liked the metal chugs or whatever you want to call them. It put some diversity in the song and prevented the song from getting too dull. I loved the instrumental part too, as well as the solo.

All in all it sounded very professional and it's a great track! Post some more if you want.

Last edited by LXM; 07-22-2008 at 04:38 PM.
LXM has 10,242 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LXM  

Old 07-20-2008

United States Tim-and-Carl
 Tim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than youTim-and-Carl is clearly better than you

Holy shit O_o

Tim-and-Carl has 1,830 Posts

"He walked into the shreds of flame. But they did not bite into his flesh, they caressed and engulfed him without heat or combustion. With relief, with humiliation, with terror, he understood that he too was a mere appearance, dreamt by another." - Borges

"Above all else, to thine own self be true." - Shakespeare

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Tim-and-Carl  

Old 07-20-2008

Finland pixels
Fallout Shelter Cap. 6640
 pixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than youpixels is clearly better than you

wow indeed. sounds pro to me.

great work ^_^

pixels has 15,419 Posts

Abolition of the wage system.

Canon XSi \ Canon f/2.8 20mm \ Sigma f/2.8 105mm \ Canon f/4-5.6 55-250mm | pixels' photos | pixels' specs | pixels' art

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to pixels Send a message via MSN to pixels  

Old 07-20-2008

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Nice job man, far more than repworthy but seeing as thats all I can give...

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 07-21-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country mixx
Have a nice day...
 mixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than youmixx is clearly better than you

Sounds good dude. Keep at it, and remember to post anything new.

mixx has 6,270 Posts

Take thee this thing covered with that stuff and give it unto that guy, that he may do things with it.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to mixx Send a message via Yahoo to mixx 

Old 07-22-2008

Canada Ninjaware
Ministry of Silly Walks
 Ninjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatnessNinjaware has ascended to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunfeld View Post
I did this the other day with a couple of guys. I play a bit of guitar on it but it was written and sung by the bass player and the guitarist. I did the programming, recording, and production.

Hope you enjoy!

Grün
If you released an album with songs like this, I would buy it. Very well done. Please keep producing work like this.

Ninjaware has 511 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ninjaware Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjaware 

Old 07-28-2008

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

It sounds great aside from the distorted guitar...it sounds way too digital for me and like it was played through a very cheap guitar. Other than that everything's spot on.

Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  

Old 07-29-2008

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

This song is really well mixed. Good job on the production! My only complaint would be that its kind of hard to understand the vocalist. I can't remember the word for it, the quality of one's pronunciation of words while singing, but maybe your singer should work on it some more.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 07-29-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunfeld View Post

Hope you enjoy!

Grün
Good song dude, your friend who wrote it as some talent. I have done a lot of producing on some of the same equipment and software, except I prefer to use Logic Pro. Drum pad is much better than a MIDI keyboard eh?

Couple points I would make, which are opinion but of course some opinions are better than others. The guitar is way too dry, crank the reverb dude! And mix down the highs coming from the distortion pedal that starts in the chorus. You have some sick fills in there man, did you use any loops or is that all programmed? I do think you go a little crazy with the ride cymbal at the end though- it's not the best sample you are using and doesn't really fit. What I would do is put a steady hi-hat throughout the whole song, and maybe add a tambourine later on instead of the ride. And a second harmony in the background on the choruses.

Good stuff, keep it up man , experimenting is how you learn shit.

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-29-2008

United Kingdom Grunfeld

Thanks for the feedback and comments all -- appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
...I prefer to use Logic Pro. Drum pad is much better than a MIDI keyboard eh?

...The guitar is way too dry, crank the reverb dude! And mix down the highs coming from the distortion pedal that starts in the chorus. You have some sick fills in there man, did you use any loops or is that all programmed? ...maybe add a tambourine later on instead of the ride. And a second harmony in the background on the choruses.
Lol! I like the dry guitar! -- this is very subjective and I have done (and still produce) stuff which is more awash in reverb. I've found that the reason why I don't like reverb with high gain amps is that you lose a lot of detail unless the part is very simple. One touch which is quite subtle (but I like) is the way I bring the echo delay in and out on the lead guitar at different points in the verses and in the solo. It's one of those things which you sort of have to listen for but it's there.

On the subject of those guitar sounds: I made a mistake and forgot to change the cheap amp sim plug in I use to keep CPU low when recording for the nice sounding one. I can't believe I forgot but I did.

Drums: they were all programmed in MIDI, no loops. I like the ride (and I guess I'm old-skool British punk at heart ) but funnily enough I had intended to put tambourine on the choruses -- it was on my notes but I didn't get around to it. It will be on the next track which we have started recording.

Thanks again,

G

Grunfeld has 31 Posts

pm.gif