Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-04-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness
Default Does anyone actually know how the medic and medivac work?

I mean, in atmospheric-less environments, medics or medivacs wouldn't be able to actually do much to help marines, since the moment an opening is made to the marine's wound, he's probably going to die due to the vacuum of space. Although, I do realize most battles probably take place on atmoshperic evnrionements or terraformed places.

I personally think medics actually come with tools that allow them to repair marine armour. In atmospheric environments they'd most likely do their on site surgery, then proceed to repair the marine's armour (to some functional extent) so that he can continue to fight. In space, I guess the best they would be able to do is do on site repairs (and in game it only works for bio tagged units because medics weren't meant for helping tanks)

As for the medivac, I suppose unless Blizzard comes up with lore explanations for the healing beam, they'd realistically perform surgery within the medivac.

By the way... does anyone know how/if the Zerg are affected by varying degrees of gravity on different planets?

Oh yeah, the wiki also says that medics administer to dying marines a drug called the "Final Protocol." What is this anyway?

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-04-2009

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

I always thought they sprayed nanites/nanobots at them, which can pass through the armor either by opened area or helmet into the infantry's body system. They might act as artificial immunity where white blood cells fail, maybe even rapidly eliminate foreign substances like Zerg toxins, repair tissues and stem faster cell reproduction.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 02-04-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure "Medics" and "Medivacs" simply repair the Marines' suits, and don't do anything for the soldiers themselves. Since it only takes one Impaler slug to rip apart an unarmored civilian, I'm guessing 39 of those 40 HP are all armor.

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Vatican City State Kacaier
Reaching for the Swarm
 Kacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
I'm pretty sure "Medics" and "Medivacs" simply repair the Marines' suits, and don't do anything for the soldiers themselves. Since it only takes one Impaler slug to rip apart an unarmored civilian, I'm guessing 39 of those 40 HP are all armor.
Then does the stimpack tax the armor and not the person?

(of course, it's futile to argue game mechanics to lore )

Kacaier has 615 Posts

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞
۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۝

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Quote:
According to the wiki, medics actually have surgical tools. PsiWarp has a feasible theory though I suppose.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-04-2009

Australia Noise
Formerly Vangarde
 Noise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supreme

It could be something like this: the medic connects a tube a port in the marines suit allowing them to access the marine without exposing the marine to vacuum. Then they could spray some kind of gas in their which helps the marines injuries heal extremely fast and give them painkillers at the same time.

The medivac sends out tiny little robots which do the same thing.

It doesn't make any sense that they repair the suits.

Noise has 1,051 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Repairing power armor could also be a Medic's engineering degree

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 02-04-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacaier View Post
Then does the stimpack tax the armor and not the person?

(of course, it's futile to argue game mechanics to lore )
You're right, it makes no sense! If my theory borders on the correct, the logical explanation would probably be that the hit point loss is only meant to represent the Marines' lack of clear-mindedness which would result in taking less precautions in battle.

Healing doesn't really make sense just because of how powerful the Marines' Gauss rifles are purported to be -- if the bullet got through the suit and injured the Marine, the question is, why didn't it kill him?

Quote:
The C-14 fires hypersonic 8 mm. armor-piercing metal "spikes" which may penetrate two inches of steel plating.
One of those would be enough to kill someone, but Marines fire up to 30 rounds per second, so chances are that Marine's going to be leaking blood faster than a Zergling pinata. So if they're going to stick to the "actually healing" route, let's just say that the Dominion best have a lot of Medics on hand...

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Vatican City State Kacaier
Reaching for the Swarm
 Kacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightened

In all the game, I've never seen any reason to believe medics are able to heal in a vacuum. Space platforms have artificial atmosphere or the vulture rider and battlecruiser pilots (civilian unit) would have suffocated. Terran Marines have yet to be shown fighting in an atmosphere devoid environment, so the concept of healing in a vacuum would be entirely speculation.

And then someone posts something from a novel which voids all of my above post.

Kacaier has 615 Posts

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞
۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۝

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

This raises another interesting point, why is Hellion armour considered different from Marine armour, yet not from building armour (a SCV can repair a Hellion, yet can't actually build one). Perhaps the logic of this would be to split Terrans into either buildings or units catergories, rather than the current method of infantry or everything else. After this you could resurrect the Medic as an Engineer.

Of course, if you really wanted to go realistic you could split the hitpoints of many Terran units into Armour and Flesh (something like the Protoss Shields and Health), with Engineers able to repair Armour, but Flesh only being healable by either a Medic/Medivac, or a base structure.

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I don't think a small hole in your armor, leading to space, would cause that much damage, as long as you have air.

People have suffered partial exposure to space like that in real life with little problem.

In addition to fixing the armor, those nanites might be able to infiltrate it (through the holes?) and either seal up the hole or work on the flesh (or both).

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

United States cameronielsen
BF Member
 cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!

Silly guys, haven't you seen Star Trek? Point the expensive remote control at the wounded party, and hit the HEAL button!

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

So so its clear, at no point in the game have we fought in a vacuum. Terran Space Platforms have artificial gravity and a viable atmosphere.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-04-2009

United States Butlerion101
BF Member
 Butlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too longButlerion101 has been here far, far too long

Oh yeah, the wiki also says that medics administer to dying marines a drug called the "Final Protocol." What is this anyway?[/quote]

Interesting you mention that Wolf, I always thought the final protocol was akin to something like the bio-foam mentioned in Halo that would basically allow for normal body function for the duration of the battle, but the marine would eventually succumb to their wounds if they were massive enough if the medics could not get them to a medivac or some sort of hospital in time. It would make some sense to me, although I love the nano-tech a lot, the possibilites with those are just crazy to think about; but I understand you're also an imagination junky like myself, hehe.

Butlerion101 has 323 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Afghanistan warrior6
With The Sons Of Korhal
 warrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to all

Quote:
You're right, it makes no sense! If my theory borders on the correct, the logical explanation would probably be that the hit point loss is only meant to represent the Marines' lack of clear-mindedness which would result in taking less precautions in battle.

Healing doesn't really make sense just because of how powerful the Marines' Gauss rifles are purported to be -- if the bullet got through the suit and injured the Marine, the question is, why didn't it kill him?

One of those would be enough to kill someone, but Marines fire up to 30 rounds per second, so chances are that Marine's going to be leaking blood faster than a Zergling pinata. So if they're going to stick to the "actually healing" route, let's just say that the Dominion best have a lot of Medics on hand...
but what about zergling attack which can leave a marine wounded but alive. or hydralisk, splash damage? and not everyone is wearing armor i think.

Quote:
The UED's technological prowess included the field of medical science. Medic tools have been expanded to chemical modifiers increasing marine survival rates and the use of nano-conveyed anesthetic and attenuated lasers to carry out on-site surgery.[4] However, casualties will still occur and for dying marines, medics administer a drug known as the "Final Protocol."[5]
from the starcraft WIKI http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Medic

warrior6 has 1,421 Posts

STOP BITCHING IN YOUR SIGNATURE
don't add this to your signature if you agree because then you would be bitching in your signature, dumbass

pm.gif