Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 11-11-2008

Canada Wankey
BF Member
 Wankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too long
Default Biggest SC2 problem now - death animation

I think the biggest problem with Starcraft 2 and 3D RTSes in general nowadays is the death animation.

Units often do the "fall over and scream, whilst gushing a little blood" death animation. In starcraft, and no other game (well lets say Warcraft) each unit died in a spectacular way. They died quick, and spectacular so you know that the unit died without needing to think wether it is dead or not.

They need to address this soon because most of the death animations I've seen are the same "falling over and dying" animations in Warcrat 3, Red Alert 3, CnC3 etc. They are lame and boring and doesn't give the player a quick and obvious attention.

For example, the Ultralisk, before used to EXPLODE into little pieces of blood and guts. Now it just falls over. That's very disconcerting. Bigger units need to die more violently and quickly. Not the 3 second fall over animation that they usually have.

Just my 2 cents.

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

I thought this was going to be about how you thought it cluttered the screen. Well, in any case, every single unit in SC1 exploded, which I guess a lot of people preferred since it kept things "clean."

I personally haven't paid too much attention to the death animations as of late. One thing I like though is the marine death animation, how he can explode to bits from a siege tank shell, get sliced in half vertically, horizontally, or get shot and fall over and die.

This is probably just temporary but the smaller Zerg units just seem to kind of disappear. They explode, if you can even call it that, but leave no body at all.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 11-11-2008

Canada Wankey
BF Member
 Wankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too longWankey has been here far, far too long

They should just model some blood splatters similar to how SC1 had them for Zerg (like body parts) and have units literally explode into them, then disappear quickly.

As for over crowding, really isn't an issue. Large ships should explode in a big fireball and drop a few smoldering pieces (that disappear quickly)

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

BlizzForums GnaReffotsirk
Booted too ooften
 GnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightened

About the Ultralisk, it would be nice if it had different death animations. It would explode like in SC:BW if it took a couple arclite blasts, and fall down crashing when cut down by Zealots, etc.

Also, I'd like to see more with HP levels in buildings and units. So, I'd know immediately which unit/structure is at, say, 30% hp.

Something like that.

For clutter issues, MP will have different stuff, as usual. Making this grand and expressed for singleplayer would only make the difference between MP and SP say more.

Edit: Like, say at 70% a portion of the barracks falls off as the attack comes blasting down.

Last edited by GnaReffotsirk; 11-11-2008 at 05:11 AM.
GnaReffotsirk has 796 Posts

Starcraft: Survivors can be downloaded here:
http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=20882
Update: 11-28-2008, Chapter 2 Guide

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul
 KnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too long

I have to disagree with the OP .... all units and specially large units need to leave something behind when they die, it is ok if those remains vanish quickly .... but large units exploding into nothing looks stupid an weird.

Every time a Colossus died in one of the vids i cringed cause it looked damn stupid .. it just turns into a small ball of blue energy and vanshises ... were the heck are the debris and were are the "Havoc" physics here ... why not make the main body explode and then the three legs scatter around then vanish in a sec or two .. that will look much more appealing.

In general i never believed all those cluttering concerns .. i wouldn't have minded if there where various death animations for each unit and if the corpses and debris stayed longer ... i played DoW for some time and always pushed the slider for remians to the max .. it gave the battlefield a dynamic and changing look and made you feel there is a war going on for real .. and never once did i mistake a "flat" dead" unit for a living moving one.

In short i want SC2 to take the middle ground ... elobrate death animations ( marines getting cut in half by DTs .. or carbonized by Colossus beams ) then the corpses or debris vanish in few seconds ... but the units just exploding into nothingness looks lame and cheap IMO.

And to make everyone happy .. just make death animations an option in the graphics menu ... you want it .. turn it ON .. don't want it .. turn it OFF .. simple

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

STOP ISRAELI MASSACRES OF CIVILIANS
http://www.elfarra.org/gallery/gaza.htm

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
For example, the Ultralisk, before used to EXPLODE into little pieces of blood and guts. Now it just falls over. That's very disconcerting. Bigger units need to die more violently and quickly. Not the 3 second fall over animation that they usually have.
Why should an Ultralisk go up in a ball of flame and blood if it died from being shot by Marines? That makes no sense. And while we're on the subject of Marines, they actually have about 3-4 different death animations now, each fitting the different types of deaths there are in the game -- they can get shot, they can explode, they can get sliced up, they can fall over from being sniped.

The death animation should correspond with whatever it was that actually killed the unit, which is what a lot of the stuff in-game does now. An Ultralisk collapsing from getting shot makes far more sense than it being alive and fine one second and then blowing up the next. What, did its joints all give out at the same time?

What I'm getting worried about is that the units' death animations are being seriously dumbed down for the multiplayer game, so as not to clutter the screen. While I'm all for easily readable battlefields, I'm also for a game that looks good when you play it, and units going up in a ball of smoke and disappearing 2 seconds later does not look good in 2009.

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

There is definitely a problem here. It is understandable that most battles of Starcraft II are massive, concerning the Zerg numbers and high quality details of the Protoss. However much clutter involved in the game, an explosion of blood is just too unappealing and unfinished. All units should have unique multiple death animations, some more than the others (Ultralisk, Thor, Colossus, etc).

It should be situational how the death animaiton apply. For example, due to the grand effects of a Siege Tank blast or Nuclear Strike, units should simply execute explode and bloody vaporizing. A Zergling under Marine fire should fall swiftly and lay lifeless, while an Ultralisk would topple down slowly. Psi blades should sever infantry with zeal, aside from Zealots themselves (they are spirited away upon death). Battlecruisers, Carriers, Void Rays and all that should explode with partial pieces falling!

Depending on type of unit, the end of death animation would be fast dissolve on default.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 11-11-2008

United States Triceron
BF Member
 Triceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatness

Well for one we know the marines will have multiple death animations. cut into ribbons mess, burned alive, pop into a bloody mess etc.

I hope they take a cue from Diablo 3, seeing all the different death animations, and the 'exploding' variation when a monster gets hit by a critical blow. Monstrous units should have multiple deaths, one that simply dies from attrition, and one that dies a spectacular death from something big.

Triceron has 871 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Egypt KnightWolf
A Nomad Soul
 KnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too longKnightWolf has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Warp View Post
It should be situational how the death animaiton apply. For example, due to the grand effects of a Siege Tank blast or Nuclear Strike, units should simply execute explode and bloody vaporizing.
-Psi
Yeah, just like in WC3, mortar hitting normal units resulted in the units exploding upon death in a spary of blood not falling on the ground dead like they usually do.

I think the exploding animation should be kept to powerful attacks killing units ( STs and nukes), or when a unit gets overkilled even by a normal weapon .. like a marine who had 1 HP who gets hit by a photon cannon or even a stalker attack ( even the stalker attack will do about 8 times more damage to the marine than the damage that is required to kill it at that point ... hence the marine explodes )

Its good to see that people agree that there should be death animations depending on the cause of death and also debris ... which of course vanishes in few seconds .. what matters is HOW the unit dies not how long its remains stay .. this way there won't be much clutter to worry about.

The whole point to it is giving the unit an elaborate out-of-the-game finale that feels satisfying not some cheap kaboom death animation, it worked all the time in SC but it won't work in a 3D game like SC2 specially with large units XD

KnightWolf has 769 Posts

STOP ISRAELI MASSACRES OF CIVILIANS
http://www.elfarra.org/gallery/gaza.htm

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

United States mutantmagnet
BF Member
 mutantmagnet doesn't suck

This is the most frivolous SERIOUS issue I've seen so far in the past month. There's only one thing wrong with the animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Warp View Post
All units should have unique multiple death animations, some more than the others (Ultralisk, Thor, Colossus, etc).

It should be situational how the death animaiton apply.

And this person covers that point.

GOing back to the OP's reasoning: The death animations don't hinder game play because your units stop using their attack animations. If the death animations distract you just check out what your troops are not doing anymore. You can safely tell them to move elsewhere.

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Canada Skiddle
BF Member
 Skiddle doesn't suck

I agree with OP. I want to see some gibs when a Zerg unit bites the dust. Protoss units I'm OK with, but there should be some debris left behind after the explosion, even if only for a few seconds.

The Protoss Dragoon had probably the coolest death animation ever... I mean bursting with blue fluid everywhere... I liked that a lot. With the new and improved graphics, they could have some neat effects along those lines (like zerg blood flowing downhill, immortal juice spraying all over, etc)

Skiddle has 100 Posts

Um, yeah, a signature.

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Sweden Todie
Master of Quotation
 Todie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
What I'm getting worried about is that the units' death animations are being seriously dumbed down for the multiplayer game, so as not to clutter the screen. While I'm all for easily readable battlefields, I'm also for a game that looks good when you play it, and units going up in a ball of smoke and disappearing 2 seconds later does not look good in 2009.
i understand, but i dont think we need to worry: its an obvious enough option for blizzard to tend to both sides here thru enabling different types of death-animation-settings ... where it might be cool to have the slower / more realistic / more detailed animations enabled for singleplayer, casual MP and even replays .... while they aught to eventually find something that at least desnt look bad while also being highly 'functional' for the more competitive side of the multiplayer game.

Todie has 911 Posts

Desirable challenges in SC II ? More strategy, less endless juggling of obvious "must-do" actions

MBS unit prod could make MORE sense - - an altered macro mechanic COULD involve actual strategic decision making.
With great sensibility comes great responsibility

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

United States Triceron
BF Member
 Triceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatness

About unit animations taking too long, it doesn't matter overall.

When a unit dies, you can't attack it any more. Your units will automatically target the next thing, so you're wasting absolutely no time/dps on dead units. If you're using some active ability, I would find it a rare occasion where you would be 'wasting' psi storms because of death animations. In either rate, I'm sure there will be death animation sounds that let you know the unit is dead even if it doesn't pop instantly. You always knew when heros died in Warcraft 3 despite a 2-4 second death animation simply by recognizing sound, I'm sure this will be the same for Ultralisks and any big unit with a complex death anim that isn't just exploding into gibs.

Triceron has 871 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Vatican City State Kacaier
Reaching for the Swarm
 Kacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWolf View Post
Every time a Colossus died in one of the vids i cringed cause it looked damn stupid .. it just turns into a small ball of blue energy and vanshises ... were the heck are the debris and were are the "Havoc" physics here ... why not make the main body explode and then the three legs scatter around then vanish in a sec or two .. that will look much more appealing.
It would look better if the explosion happened at the colossus head section, instead of below its feet. Otherwise, if it blew at the right level, I see nothing wrong with an explosion and disappearance with the colossus.

Kacaier has 615 Posts

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞
۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۝

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Canada Wankey
BF Member

What they need isn't physics deaths, they need memorable deaths.

Bits and pieces faling into each other due to physics doesn't look impressive. It just looks "real"

Now if they can do some sort of over the top death animation (Ultralisk exploding to guts and everything etc or Colossus' legs falling apart whilst the head explodes into a huge explosion) then that'll look a lot better than what they have now.

pm.gif