Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 11-10-2007

United States Rob
For Aiur!
 Rob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightened
Default Writing scripts, stories, game ideas, etc.

Is it possible, or common, for people to write something to sell it?

I ask because I have a couple of ideas floating around in my head that I've been working on for about four years now that I wish I could get down on paper.

One is a book, that I think would be best as a movie script, and the other is a video game idea.

Is it possible to market a book, movie, or game idea to potential buyers? Or are game ideas usually started from within the company itself?

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2007

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Book you would write a manuscript and then shop around to publishers. Movie, write a script and shop around to studios. Its much harder to get a studio to look at a script though, if you aren't established.

No idea how the video game business works.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 11-10-2007

Antarctica Doombringer64v3.0
Legend
 Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Book you would write a manuscript and then shop around to publishers. Movie, write a script and shop around to studios. Its much harder to get a studio to look at a script though, if you aren't established.

No idea how the video game business works.
First you need to get a copyright for your material.

Doombringer64v3.0 has 11,412 Posts

Killer Idea
Doombringer64 hates his wife.

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2007

United States Rob
For Aiur!
 Rob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightened

Of course I'd get a copyright first; I'd hate to have my original material stolen.

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2007

United States Reservoir
In need of a Sanitarium
 Reservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightenedReservoir has become enlightened

I think it'd be the easiest to start with a book. It would take a while, but it would end up being a more independent and pure idea of yours. When writing a movie/TV show, you usually end up being only one in a team of writers, which means that your idea may not be fully realized. I believe it goes the same for a videogame as well.

I'd suggest doing short stories first, much like you would start off lightly when beginning a new exercise regiment. This way, you can develop and fine-tune your writing style, as well as strengthen the cohesiveness of your story. Once you're comfortable with that, then you could confidently start with a story of longer length, like a novella, novel, or a whole series.

Reservoir has 912 Posts

"Those who always listen do not experience everything."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyGal View Post
God, people think I'm He-Man with tits.
DOOM Forever!
||Xanga||

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Reservoir Send a message via Yahoo to Reservoir 

Old 11-10-2007

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer64 View Post
Of course.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 11-10-2007

Canada Thus
is one happy dude
 Thus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too much

Defiantly publish a book first thing. Then it's kinda like getting your foot in the door. Once your foot is in, milk it for all it's worth. I've known some writers and they say it's tough. When you publish a book, you get little bits of cash over a long period of time. Most writers go int eh direction of journalism or something like that. But having a published book on your resume will help in career involving any kind of writing.

So start one step at a time. Get a name. Get your foot in the door.

Thus has 4,256 Posts

"These days I realize that the more you insult other people, the more you're really insulting your own integrity."
-Luther Shark
Wisdom + Kindness

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Thus  

Old 11-11-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer64 View Post
Put a copyright date on the material and mail a copy of it to yourself in a sealed envelope.

Bam, copyright protection.

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 11-12-2007

United States Rob
For Aiur!

Ah, I get it. There's a record of the document being mailed, so it had to have existed before someone else saw it.

pm.gif   

Old 11-13-2007

Canada warhog
This is bad.
 warhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to all

... go to an arts college and do a one-year program. Half the value of it is just hooking you up with the right people and a degree to certify that you know what the hell you're doing.

You can't pitch ideas to TV Shows or etc effectively without doing so. It's only a year, when it comes down to it... much less time than you'll be spending on a big script and not getting it anywhere if you didn't.

This is a stupid idea.

pm.gif   

Old 11-13-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Eros
 Eros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to all

Quote:
Is it possible to market a book, movie, or game idea to potential buyers? Or are game ideas usually started from within the company itself?
Pitching a game idea to a game development company is pretty rare, from what little I know regarding the creation process as a whole. The idea for the game itself comes from the developer (people who code and make all the models and such) or the publisher (company who gets the game marketed and on the shelves), more often than not it's the developer. They'll create a rough prototype of the game with the bigger idea in mind, and pitch it to the publisher. If the publisher likes it, they'll further finance the development, and so the programming/art/process begins.

The story of a game itself is usually handled by a creative design part of the development team - they'll usually come up with the actual gameplay and flow of the game as well. This process is just what I've gathered from reading what few articles I have regarding the whole deal, and I'm sure that it differs from title to title.

As far as getting people to listen to your ideas, however, listen to Warhog. Knowing you went through at least some creative schooling process will do nothing but benefit you.

Eros has 11,242 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-15-2007

United States Rob
For Aiur!

So if I was to write up a very detailed idea for a game, including the story, diagrams of how character creation screens could look, UI ideas, etc., and mailed it off to Blizzard or someone after getting a copyright would be useless?

pm.gif   

Old 11-15-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Eros
 Eros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to allEros is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So if I was to write up a very detailed idea for a game, including the story, diagrams of how character creation screens could look, UI ideas, etc., and mailed it off to Blizzard or someone after getting a copyright would be useless?
I honestly don't really know. I'm fairly certain stuff like that isn't entirely common, as so many aspects of games change constantly throughout deveopment that it's pretty unlikely they'd take your idea(s) as is and get to work.

If by chance your idea, premise and concept are deemed worthwhile, they may contact you about purchasing the copyright from you to start development.

I'm really unsure though, this isn't exactly charted territory. Almost every aspect of a game is created in house by the developers, I'm not certain how outside influences and ideas would or could factor into a game.

Eros has 11,242 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-15-2007

United States DesignCore
BF Member
 DesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Of course I'd get a copyright first; I'd hate to have my original material stolen.
You can ghetto copywright it.

Mail it to yourself. and now you have a time line of it being made.

This is the gehtto ist way.

Make a copy. seal it in an envelope date it then mail it to yourself... Now keep that copy forever and if anything like yours comes up sue them.

Having a judge open a sealed post dated envelope will win you the case for sure. Especialy if its your intelectual property they stole.

Im gonna pitch a tv show and thats how i like to copy wright my work.

DesignCore has 160 Posts

...Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

pm.gif   

Old 11-15-2007

United States DesignCore
BF Member
 DesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud ofDesignCore has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
I honestly don't really know. I'm fairly certain stuff like that isn't entirely common, as so many aspects of games change constantly throughout deveopment that it's pretty unlikely they'd take your idea(s) as is and get to work.

If by chance your idea, premise and concept are deemed worthwhile, they may contact you about purchasing the copyright from you to start development.

I'm really unsure though, this isn't exactly charted territory. Almost every aspect of a game is created in house by the developers, I'm not certain how outside influences and ideas would or could factor into a game.
I know a guy in the videogame industry he works in konami and he said if you write a detalied description and well he said more shit like alot of info... Then you can drop it off at the offices and there is a chance they will check it out.

DesignCore has 160 Posts

...Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

pm.gif