Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Intelligent Debate and Discussion of Important Life Topics.

Old 02-01-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...
Default A topic not related to Islam, God, or the American Presidency

At the start of the 20th century, the United States was a member of a large number of great powers that vied for colonial dominance across the globe. After the Great War period, the United States firmly cemented itself as a superpower, with the USSR following suit shortly thereafter. It wasn't until the Berlin Wall fell that one superpower was left standing.

The over-arching question I'd like to discuss is what will the geopolitical scale shift to next, or will it shift at all? Will the United States still sit at the top, with a hegemony of great powers below? Will one or more other superpowers emerge? Will the US, through various circumstances both foreign and domestic, lose the hegemonic dominance and revert the geopolitical system to a multipolar great power system again? Will there be a new order not yet seen in human history?

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

I believe the US will be a Super Power for a long time. At the moment there arn;'t many other countries to step up. Many are just following, people say China but really they only survive off cheap labor and if you've ever been there we are still miles ahead of them.

Not to try to say we are better but we still have that edge that holds us that one up on all others around.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 

Old 02-01-2009

Orkney Islands H0teLVi0LeT
Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

Civilization as we know it will not last much longer in my opinion. Either that or we will be living much simpler lives amongst a Muslim dominated culture.

H0teLVi0LeT has 1,539 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

The United States will continue to be the greatest power in the world as far as economics and influence is concerned, but our influence will continue to diminish over time. Other rising empires like China and Europe will take the stage and balance out our hyperpower status.

Of course we will remain a superpower, we just won't be the hyperpower status we've enjoyed for the last 2 decades. I think you will see the United States playing a lesser role in international affairs within the next 30-40 years, concentrating on issues closer to home and closer to our border. Who knows what kind of wars, revolutions, or chaos will erupt without our presence, that much is hard to predict. What we know for certain is that the US will slowly start to decline in influence, but will always be a force to be reckoned with.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Immune to Bans
 H0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too muchH0teLVi0LeT might just love this place a little bit too much

What an overly optimistic delusion. We got an economy on the verge of collapse, massive hyper inflation coming our way, oil production has peaked and 2 unsustainable conflicts to replace one muslim shithole with another while both of our borders are leaking. Just watch what happens when 3rd world countries start drying up and people desperately try to flee to Europe and the US in droves.

Last edited by H0teLVi0LeT; 02-01-2009 at 11:03 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Could you please elaborate which specific parts you disagree with and why?

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Immune to Bans

Yeah, edited my post. Too many problems heading our way, the United States and western civilization will crumble, sry. I still have high hopes for China though, if there's any nation on earth that can outlast the Islamic infestation, its the PRC. =/

Edit: Fuck pittsburgh

Last edited by H0teLVi0LeT; 02-01-2009 at 11:11 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Remember that trouble with the US economy affects everyone elses economy too. My wife never fails to remind me every morning that the dollar continues to be worth more and more rubles. Today it was at 35. This is not because Russias doing bad, they have tremendous natural resources and could literally fuck up Europe if they wanted to. It has everything to do with our economy and how interconnected we are with the rest of the world.

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
The United States will continue to be the greatest power in the world as far as economics and influence is concerned, but our influence will continue to diminish over time. Other rising empires like China and Europe will take the stage and balance out our hyperpower status.

Of course we will remain a superpower, we just won't be the hyperpower status we've enjoyed for the last 2 decades. I think you will see the United States playing a lesser role in international affairs within the next 30-40 years, concentrating on issues closer to home and closer to our border. Who knows what kind of wars, revolutions, or chaos will erupt without our presence, that much is hard to predict. What we know for certain is that the US will slowly start to decline in influence, but will always be a force to be reckoned with.
I'd agree with you that China is looking to be the next great superpower with the potential of eventually taking that dominant spot held by the US for so long. But I really feel that the EU is a meeting of too many nations with too many different agenda's for Europe to keep it going for more than a decade. You have to imagine that eventually one of the larger nations is going to get screwed and decide to opt out and then there will be some real challenges keeping it together.

KP has 9,752 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 02-02-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
At the start of the 20th century, the United States was a member of a large number of great powers that vied for colonial dominance across the globe. After the Great War period, the United States firmly cemented itself as a superpower, with the USSR following suit shortly thereafter. It wasn't until the Berlin Wall fell that one superpower was left standing.

The over-arching question I'd like to discuss is what will the geopolitical scale shift to next, or will it shift at all? Will the United States still sit at the top, with a hegemony of great powers below? Will one or more other superpowers emerge? Will the US, through various circumstances both foreign and domestic, lose the hegemonic dominance and revert the geopolitical system to a multipolar great power system again? Will there be a new order not yet seen in human history?
Why do you hate Freedom?

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 02-02-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Why do you hate Freedom?
Because the Officials at this year's superbowl were the worst in years.

While the economic woes of the present day are of serious concern, the reality is that we've currently undergone worse circumstances than the great depression, and I see no bread lines forming in major cities. Our economy is incredibly resilient these days, and even though we might have to weather bad times, the world will realign eventually.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

United States Grog
-gy*
 Grog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too muchGrog might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
even though we might have to weather bad times, the world will realign eventually.
This is true.

But it seems the government is taking every step imaginable to delay this necessary realignment. Bailouts and stimuli will not solve the problem - it will simply perpetuate our fraudulently consumer driven economy. Liquidation of the malinvestment that has accumulated over the years is the unfortunate but necessary mechanism to correct the current economic crisis. We cannot afford to simply endlessly consume while producing little.

Most politicians however refuse to acknowledge this fact for it seemingly welcomes hard times. However conceding to the laws of economics is nothing to be ashamed of, for no matter how much they legislate, these laws will not change.

Medicine does not always taste good, but you gotta take it.

Quote:
The U.S. will be forced into a smaller role in foreign affairs. As the financial crisis worsens, and our debt becomes entirely detrimental, our military budget will quickly become one of the easiest routes to ensure fiscal responsibility.

What happens to the dollar will be of great importance to our hegemony. There are talks of removing the dollar's status as the world's reserve currency. If this were to happen, the dollar would be in very serious danger.

I am unsure if this will threaten our superpower status, but that is a distinct possibility. At very least I believe there will be a decrease in American power.

Last edited by Grog; 02-02-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Grog has 2,173 Posts

Are you such a dreamer
To put the world to rights?
I'll stay home forever
Where two and two always makes a five

I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag and hide
January has April's showers
And two and two always makes a five

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Brazil Amok
Critter Christmas
 Amok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than you

I think the US might lose some of its power, or rather some countries might gain more power, but I'm pretty sure the US is still gonna be the world's only superpower for some times to come.

I don't really see what country could supplant the US as a world superpower or even come close to the power the US has in the world right now. If the US stops being a superpower, I think we're likely to live in a multi-polar world.

Amok has 7,707 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-03-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

We are seeing a realignment in the world, but it is a structural realignment, not a realignment within the existing structure.

On the one hand we have the American-Russian-European structure set up after World War II, with the public face of the United Nations. I'll call the liberal international order because the West dominated it from the very beginning and does so today. This order holds sway over much of the northern hemisphere: the United States, Canada, all of Europe to the Russian border, Japan, Australia, South Korea, the Philippines, several South American states like Brazil and Colombia, India, New Zealand, etc. This order has more or less dominated all international affairs since 1945 and even more so since 1989.

In this structure the United States will remain paramount for the foreseeable future. There is no country existing in the order that could possibly supplant the United States. India has no interest in going global, so to speak; she would be content with dominating South and Southeast Asia and keeping down her two large and powerful local rivals, China and Pakistan.

But there are several other structures that are distinguishing themselves from the liberal international order. Prior to the Bush presidency squabbles between great powers were inside the order, and seemed almost familial. Whatever happened, the relationships would stay the same.

Today, first of all we see China, which is not at the head of any structure of nations but instead is on an aggressive course of entering into alliances of conveniences to increase her wealth as much as possible. China's goal is to re-take Taiwan and return to exerting her traditional degree of dominance in East and Southeast Asia, which is basically how Asian history played out for thousands of years. China also wants to push the US out of the Western Pacific. Past that, China doesn't aim to supplant the United States. She too has too many rivals close to home: Japan, India, Indonesia, and even Russia.

Russia is like China, more or less on her own save for alliances of convenience intended to increase her wealth and reassert her own traditional dominance over the Caucasus and Eastern Europe.

Africa is a big hot mess from top to bottom, a playground for other powers to try to increase their power in and embarrass their foes. Sad, but that's what Africa is these days.

Socialism is going crazy in the parts of South America that aren't part of the liberal international order, such as Bolivia and Venezuela.

Arab states are caught in a bind, in between the three great powers of the US, Russia, and China, and a wannabe great power, Iran. They'll go with whoever looks most likely to keep them from getting whacked by someone else. They also fear what would happen if there was another full-on Israeli-Arab War. At the moment the United States keeps the Arabs shielded from the slings and arrows of international misfortune and keeps Israeli-Arab tensions from escalating into full-scale war. That is unlikely to change.

Iran is run by a bunch of fucked-up crazy people who seriously think that one day they'll be able to tell the entire world to fuck off and get away with it.

Pakistan just wants to remain one nation and keep India from running roughshod over Kashmir.

The point is that all these countries outside the liberal international order are going to continue on their recent course of doing things the liberal international order does not like. The fact is that the position of the United States is not that different in the world than it was in 2000, and is certainly stronger than it was from the mid-1950s (when the USSR fully recovered from World War II) to 1989.

For example: if this was 1996 and we were in a huge dispute with Iran over their nuclear program, we'd have made exactly the same progress as we have now: none. But Iran would have been less inflammatory in its rhetoric. That's it. Basically all that has changed is the same people who were telling us no ten years ago are now saying no in much nastier language.

Most places where we are allegedly losing influence - like in Africa - are places where 1) we never had much influence anyway and 2) places where influence doesn't count for shit in the wider world. For example, China is buying up friends in Africa left and right, and no one cares, because friends in the form of various African governments aren't worth a glass of warm milk.

People bet too much on the US losing in Iraq. The leaders of the world kept a close eye on what was going on there. If we'd had to cut and run, our power would have been crippled for years. But we won, and we absolutely smacked the shit out of Iran's covert forces in Iraq, which scared the bejesus out of Tehran. The world was waiting to see if the incredible resiliency of the United States still existed. They found out that it did, so instead of challenging Obama left and right, the world is waiting to see what kind of a president he will be before they start trying to test him.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 02-03-2009

Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

I think the idea of a Super Power nation will be archaic and outdated within 50 years. I honestly foresee the USA imploding on its own wealth and greed, and no single nation will rise as the new world power. Right now the US dominates the earth, and really the only other country that even comes close is China.

I dont think China will become a "super power" because it's just too unstable an environment. They don't have the right mentality to be one, and really their industrial revolution won't last much longer. Once the rest of the globe slows down, their exports will also slow down and eventually China will be sitting in a pile of their own shit with no one to buy it.

In short i think the entire concept of a Super Power nation will soon become extinct. I predict the USA will fall within 30 years.

Ace has 14,405 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace