Thread: Starcraft Vista Compatibility Problem - No Sound

Deinos Logos
    Array

Default Starcraft Vista Compatibility Problem - No Sound

Greetings, esteemed members of the tech forum. My own efforts to solve my difficulty are insufficient, so I turn to you all. Likely enough it is a simple problem.

I run a 2.5 year old Dell laptop PC, Windows Vista. Some time ago I installed StarCraft on it and played happily for years. Last February I was having severe registry and spyware issues, so I wrote zeroes to the hard drive, erasing everything. Some months later I re-installed StarCraft and was unpleasantly surprised to find that though it installed and played just fine, no sound played during the game (and yes, I checked sound settings in-game and my laptop's sound as well). I have had compatibility problems with other old RTSs before (i.e. Medieval Total War), and am under the impression that Vista sucks in this regard.

So I have no sound when I run StarCraft. Everything else ingame seems to work just fine. Any suggestions about what to do next? I tried turning the compatibility off, to no avail, and I am in rather unhappy straits. Any prospective solutions would be appreciated.
    sigline
    All men begin, and most men end, as prisoners of the authoritative opinions of their time and place.
    ~Allen Bloom

Voting independent
    Array

Default Re: Starcraft Vista Compatibility Problem - No Sound

This is what I have found so far:
    http://eu.battle.net/support/en/arti...sound-or-music

There may also be a codec that you are missing
    sigline

Moogly Administrator
    Array

Make sure you're running it in compatibility mode (ie: windows xp, or even windows 98) see if that helps.

Starcraft is a very old game at this point, it's hard to figure it out what might be causing issues. Heck it maybe something as simple as you forgetting to reinstall the specific sound drivers for your notebook, y'know?

Deinos Logos
    Array

I tried fooling around with the compatibility settings on my laptop: Windows 95 and 98/Me gave me the following message: "StarCraft is unable to read a required file, please check your CD-ROM drive..."etc. All the others gave me the same problem; silence.

The weird thing is that when I insert the disc for the first time, I get 'intro' sound and see/hear the screen that lets you see the Diablo preview (which, incidentally, plays its sound just fine), but when I choose "Play StarCraft: Broodwars", volume goes bye bye.

Perhaps you're right and I need to get a sound card driver for the game. I've got StarCraft Broodwars v1.05. Where would I find a) my sound card information and b) where would I get one compatible with v1.05? Also, I wish Blizzard would continue supporting StarCraft, but they have other concerns now
    sigline
    All men begin, and most men end, as prisoners of the authoritative opinions of their time and place.
    ~Allen Bloom

Moogly Administrator
    Array

You might try to download Starcraft from your battle.net account. That version doesn't require the CDs, and all you need to register it is a Starcraft cdkey (haha, which makes the other 5 I have useless! )

Deinos Logos
    Array

That's an intriguing option, Neo. What are the odds it'd work better than the version I have now?

EDIT - I'd have to buy it off Battle net, wouldn't I.... :l
    Last edited by Philosoraptor; 03-19-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    sigline
    ~Allen Bloom

Moogly Administrator
    Array

?

No you login with a battle.net account (register one if you don't have one) and you goto "add" a game to the account, you can input an older style cdkey.

It's completely free O.o