Thread: Black Ops?

Sic temper tyrannis
    Array

Default Black Ops?

Anyone here play Black Ops? I got it soon after it came out. Still haven't played the single player, but I think the decision to make kills earned by killstreak rewards not count towards your killstreak was a sensible one. The maps seem less interesting than MW2, though, and are less 'vertical', which I have mixed feelings about. The weapons seem more balanced, especially since the Ak74u got nerfed.

On the whole it feels more arcade-y than MW2, which again I have mixed feelings about. (Basically I feel positively about it when I do well and curse it when I die a lot) But I have a feeling I will tire of it more quickly than MW2..
    sigline
    72 signatures made for various people and counting! Become a number! Get an Mtank Siggy today!

The Great Thread Killer
    Array

Default Re: Black Ops?

MW2 sucked dick. Black ops sucks too, but not as much. its pretty crappy all over, yet its tolerable. im just playing it until i manage to get BF: BC2 or something
    sigline
    Gibe moni plos

Sic temper tyrannis
    Array

What was it about the games that you didn't like? I would agree that both are a bit over-hyped, but I still found them pretty enjoyable.
    sigline
    72 signatures made for various people and counting! Become a number! Get an Mtank Siggy today!

The Great Thread Killer
    Array

well for MW2, its was one big gimmick. it lost all that made it "Modern Warfare" from CoD4. as ive said in another thread, CoD4 was one of the best shooters becuase its mutliplayer was simple. you had a few guns, a few attachments to alter the gameplay, the maps were simple and yet well made, killstreaks were a new thing and yet they too were simple and balanced. it was on the whole a generally balanced and smooth game that came down to skill and a good connection really. but then MW2 adds about 1000 different things, of which they didnt balance very well. such things like the perks, where you dont take fall damage, climb faster, run faster, never run out of sprint all while you can use 2 fucking SHOTGUNS. things like that made the game shitty. it came down to gimmicks. i like BOPs because its a bit more toned down with the gimmickry but then the maps are shithouse. they are so bad in the level design. it usually always is getting shot from behind because either they spawned behind you or they just run out behind you, because team lines and stuff dont exist because the spawning is eff'd on that game. i mean i spawned NEXT TO an enemy on Nuketown. NEXT TO! and not a person who was knowing of whats going on, he spawned there a second later! but then nuketown is really small. would be a good map if they opened it right up. anyway, thats pretty much my rant.
    sigline
    Gibe moni plos

BF Member
    Array

I never really played MW2 beyond SP and from what little I saw of MP on the PC it was really nothing more than a horrible console port for the PC. Which is why I consider BO to be a much better game despite it having some issues like the spawn system, hit detection for snipers, and the occasional freezing.(which treyarch actually put some effort in to fix)

If they fix these and balance the guns a bit more I think it would do a ton to make BO much better

P.S.: props to treyarch for toning down the ridiculousness of the killstreaks in black ops

Sic temper tyrannis
    Array

Thread necro, but since this part of the forum is dead anyway I have no regrets.

I just played the Black Ops single player mode (PSN network was down, you see ) and I have to say that I actually had fun. Yeah, it had a lot of the cliched sequences that too many shooters now seem to robotically follow- stealth mission, vehicle mission, sequence with a machine gun where you wipe out scores of enemies, timed escape sequence, etc.

But before I played it I thought it would just be a shallow glorification of disastrous cold war politics. It was, a little bit (the castro business was a bit much I thought), but they also added some of the cold war mystique into it- brainwashing, superweapons, etc. It managed to capture somewhat the mentality of a time where it was thought that science could do anything from training psychics to mind control. I thought the story was knit together better than MW2, even though it became predictable by the end and the endless whining of the protagonist about 'the numbers!' became a bit too much. Most characters also remained flat throughout, and the villains, as with MW2, were uninspired.

So yeah, I've ended up pointing out more negatives about it than positives, but the levels and the mystique held my interest better than MW2 did. Both stories were over the top, but Black Ops seemed to have more of a justification for it than MW2.
    sigline

ʎǝuoods-ʎǝɟıuʞ
    Array

The upside to Black Ops is the game jumped you into firefights so there was no segments with little to no fighting in between. The downside was the story was a bit ridiculous. And the characters have no depth. In MW2 you actually give a shit about Soap and co. Realistically the only game I'll be buying aside from Gears 3 this years is Battlefield 3 though.
    sigline
    I Stay... I lurk