Thread: Torchlight 2!

Pew Pew
    Array

Default Torchlight 2!

It seems that the Torchlight MMO is on hold for now, because instead we're getting Torchlight 2!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqCZw4Mua4[/ame]

From runic games site is a list of key features:

Quote Quote
    -Multi-player – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
    -Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.
    -Moddability – Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. You and your friends can download the same mod and play together!
    -New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts an entirely new, improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. Thanks to this intuitive interface, players have immediate access to a rich and varied world, with little experience necessary.
    -Overworld Areas – Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience.
    -Random Dungeons – Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards and dangers.
    -Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks onto new characters.
    -Pets – Players choose a pet to accompany them. Pets level up along with the player, and help in battle, learn spells, carry items, and perform a variety of support services.
    -Fishing – Fishing returns in the sequel! Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to relax by one of the many fishing holes and see what they can catch. Fish have unique benefits for the player and pet, while a number of other rewards can also be discovered.

The video looks pretty nice in my opinion. There are a lot of new monsters/areas it seems and I really like the look of the outdoor overworld. Also I dont think any information about the 4th class is out yet (or if all 3 original classes are going to stay).

EDIT: I managed to find an interview that gives out a bit of info on the game. Here's a link to the interview:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/04/to...h-runic-games/

If you're not interested in reading the whole thing here are some important highlights:

Quote Quote
    The plan is that we’re doing some new pets, though we haven’t finalised what those will be at this point. There will certainly be a dog and a cat, because everybody likes dogs and cats, and we’re aiming to add some new pets as well. We’d also like to further the role of the pet and provide it with some more distinct abilities from creature to creature so that there’s an interesting choice to be made in what you select.
    Quote Quote
    We actually hired a writer this time out, so we’re endeavouring to have a coherent narrative, and to work that more into the quests that you’re undertaking.
    Quote Quote
    Travis Baldree: We’re only announcing two classes at this point and, man, I hesitate to say what their names are, because they were arguing over them!

Max Schaefer: These are working names. These are not the actual final names.

Travis Baldree: I’m going to check my email, because I’m pretty sure someone had some names down! We’re going to get in trouble with our art teams if we say the wrong names. So the two classes we’re going to be revealing are the Wanderer, who’s almost kind of a… hell, we’ve got a class description here somewhere!

Max Schaefer: There was some push to call him the Nomad, or the Wanderer…

Travis Baldree: I guess they’re called the Outlander, now. Who has, what’s a good way of describing this so that somebody also doesn’t kill me? It’s kind of a Dune Fremen sort of character, someone who’s on the fringe and has survivalist tendencies, various facility with ranged weapons and low magic. The other classic is the Railman, who’se like an engineer melee warrior class that basically, on the frontier, trying to push forward into unpopulated areas, and they’re responsible for constructing the means of getting there and also the advanced fortifications and they also have to be able to protect themselves. They have some of that steam-punky mechanical bent from Torchlight.
    Quote Quote
    We haven’t decided on a final player count for a session. It might be anywhere from four, to six, to seven. The difficulty of the monsters tunes dynamically to the number of party members who are nearby. And we’re using loot rules that are pretty similar to Mythos where drops are basically your drops. You pick up what you found and you don’t have to fight over loot.
    Quote Quote
    PC Gamer: Are the levels linear in the same way, or is there more exploration?

Travis Baldree: There’s definitely more exploration this time out, especially with the outdoor regions and the multiple exits to a level. You can be hunting around and stumble across a cave. We’re also putting a focus this time on having random events that occur in the levels that give more structure to the world. You might come across a caravan being attacked and you can choose to stop and save them or go on by. We want little pockets of life that happen, with varying degrees of complexity, that give the world a little bit more flavour and life and reward you for maybe heading off the beaten path and finding something interesting.
    Quote Quote
    PC Gamer: Do you have an idea of when it’s likely to be released?

Max Schaefer: Let’s say the first half of 2011. We can say we’re aiming for that.
    Quote Quote
    You’ll be able to buy the box and play for free, so there will be no item sales or subscriptions or any nonsense.
    Last edited by Alexander; 08-19-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to Alexander

Forum Elder
    Array

Default Re: Torchlight 2!

Oh boy, more droll boring dungeon crawling.

Click Click Click

Pew Pew
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Nuts View Post
    Oh boy, more droll boring dungeon crawling.

Click Click Click
    This game ought to be better than the previous one in that regard at least. The overworld with it's random events ought to be quite a bit different. Even still, there are plenty of games that are more grindy than Torchlight (Titan Quest anyone?). I really liked the boss encounters in Torchlight which I thought were very well done (except for the last boss, that shit was retarded) so I hope they have a lot more of those in TL2.

As far as a hack-n-slash action RPG, I really think Torchlight is the second best behind Diablo 2.
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to Alexander

Forum Elder
    Array

I'm just cynical, pay me no mind. I played Torchlight for about 10 minutes and dropped it like a bad habit. The difference, as I see it, between Diablo and Torchlight is atmosphere and storytelling, both of which Torchlight did not seem to possess.

Hopefully 2 will fix those areas of weakness.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Ok, I watched the video. I'm sorry, i take back my criticism of this sequel. It looks pretty good actually.

Ha Ha!
    Array

I found Torchlight to be a refreshing reboot of the classic dungeon crawler, but the lack of multiplayer really killed me. I'll enjoy picking up the second and playing it with friends when it comes out.
    sigline
    There's nay'ry an animal that can outrun a greased Scotsman!

Bitches.
    Array

Can't wait for the second one
    sigline

Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.
    Send a message via AIM to Pavel DatsyukSend a message via Yahoo to Pavel Datsyuk

Moogly Administrator
    Array

Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to it. Torchlight was pretty fun. Also liked the pet mechanic
    Send a message via AIM to NeoSend a message via MSN to NeoSend a message via Yahoo to Neo

Bitches.
    Array

The pet relieved a lot of the extra unneeded gameplay that Diablo had with the constant need of selling useless shit yourself.

Now, you can kill monsters and not have to worry about it!
    sigline

Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.
    Send a message via AIM to Pavel DatsyukSend a message via Yahoo to Pavel Datsyuk