Thread: Shutter Island *spoilers*

I DO COCAINE
    Array

Default Shutter Island *spoilers*

Who went go see this movie or is going to. I must say its a good movie but make sure you pay attention. My brain exploded at one point it was so confusing. It's likeLeonardo ran up to that little hampster that runs on the wheel in my brains and knee capped him with a shotgun thats how confused I was. For those of you who have seen it highlight the next part I wanna see if this is what you thought actually happened-I believe he wasn't crazy the whole time and that they were just fucking with him at the end slowly changing him to what they wanted through the drugs. The main reason I believe this is because member bout mid way through the movie when Leo asked where's his partner then the Docter said what partner. Then right after they talked alittle the docter asked so hows your partner and Leo was like "What Partner?" That's what convinced me they were just fucking with him. The end foggied it up but I think if you look at it hard he was sain

NORM LIFE, BABY
    Array

Default Re: Shutter Island *spoilers*

Fuck the black text, if you don't want the movie spoiled for you just don't read my post.

All in all I thought it was pretty lame, but I was left unsure which circumstance was more lame: the fact that the movie actually transpired the way that it did or the unshakable feeling I got afterward that I should have seen it coming all along. Has there been a single psychological drama in, well, probably ever now that I really think of it, that hasn't ended up going with the "s/he was crazy all along" routine?

Though, to Martin Scorsese's credit, or the writer's or producer's or whomever was ultimately responsible for this film's ending, I guess everything about it leading up to the climax does in fact do a pretty good job of making the somewhat-jaded moviegoers like myself believe that, "nahh, this thing isn't going to just take the easy way out like all the other ones do, Leo DiCaprio's partner who was never even mentioned in any of the previews is prolly going to die at some point, that's for sure , but in the end he'll bust the place wide open like he said and it'll be a happy ending".

As for your little theory there CajunMan, that "what partner?" part wasn't really what got to me, I figured the doctor guy was just playing along with his delusion, because basically from that point in the film onward you can see all the other characters alternating between trying to confront and just playing along with the main character's supposed delusion. However I'm eventually in the same camp as you, because I *thought* that that part where he's with that chick in the cave and she's talking about how if you just merely insist to someone that they're crazy, then anything they try to say to the contrary no matter how logical is just dismissed as denial and reinforces their assertion that you are in fact insane was the nail in the coffin for the possibility that the movie would go down the road it did.

Though, then again, if in "reality" he really wasn't crazy and they just mindfucked him into believing he was, then the last couple of scenes where he's remembering/reliving/and then finally admitting to killing his wife are extremely misleading. And also on that note, what about his partner who turns out to actually be his psychiatrist - who "really" was that guy then? No, as much as I'd love to indulge in such conjectures with you I fear that we are merely entertaining a delusion , that delusion being that this movie was in fact not just a steaming pile of crap.
    sigline
    Quote Quote
    ...And the important thing to remember is that this simulation is a good one. It's believable, it's tactile; you can reach out and things are solid, you can move objects from one area to another. You can feel your body: you can say, "I'd like to go over to this location" and you can move this mass of molecules through the air over to another location, at will... That's something you live inside of everyday.

The Hopeless Romantic
    Array

I'll be honest, I'm indifferent when it comes to the movie.

I thought something was up during the opening scene, where they didn't show him in Boston at all, and the guards being on edge the second they laid eyes on him.

I'm not sure, but when they revealed the annogram at the end, I was almost dissapointed. When they explained that his wife was the woman who murdered her children, that was a mindfuck for sure.

One thing that I'm wondering though - The end of the movie, when he's speaking to his psychiatrist in the Edward character, did he really lapse back into his dream world? Or did he willingly want to get lombotomized to forget his traumatic past? The latter seems painfully obvious, and I'm going with it.
    sigline
    The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague.

Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?

- Edgar Allen Poe

■ ▲ ○ ♦ →
    Array

What I really liked about this movie is that at the end, there are a lot of possible scenarios. The whole "was he crazy or did they trick him" question has a lot of possibilities and it was just as fun discussing those possibilities as it was watching the movie itself.
    sigline

So cash
    Array

Vash, I took it as he realized his past but opted to have the procedure done anyways.

I really enjoyed this movie and thought it was what it is. A decent thriller/mystery.
    sigline

See His Advertisement!

Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content:
    Hidden Content: