Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 154

Thread: Atheism is not a Religion

  1. #61
    For Vengenace
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gundam Base
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaervek View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on this? It seems you're trying to make a point, but to be honest, It's kind of lost in translation.
    Atheism is a position based on no evidence. Sounds very compelling.

    My point is that belief in something for which there's no evidence is just as dumb as disbelief in something based on no evidence.
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to GradiusSend a message via MSN to Gradius
    Gradius is offline

  2. #62
    i'm on your wifi.
    Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Atheism is a position based on no evidence. Sounds very compelling.

    My point is that belief in something for which there's no evidence is just as dumb as disbelief in something based on no evidence.
    Oh, so wait, you're serious?
    sigline
    "Why We Believe in Gods" by Andy Thomson.


    404, savior not found.
    Send a message via AIM to KaervekSend a message via MSN to Kaervek
    Kaervek is offline

  3. #63
    BF Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Atheism is a position based on no evidence. Sounds very compelling.

    My point is that belief in something for which there's no evidence is just as dumb as disbelief in something based on no evidence.
    I don't believe that Unicorns exist, because there is no evidence that they ever did. Ergo, I'm just as dumb as someone who believes in religion? :wtf: You do realize that modern science is based entirely upon the scientific method, which itself is based upon finding evidence to support your hypothesis, without which all you have is a nice (or stupid) opinion.
    sigline
    Superior capability in language does not necessarily equate to superior intelligence...but it certainly doesn't help your argument if you sound stupid.
    lupino is offline

  4. #64
    Forum Elder
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,473

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Santrega View Post
    No, I'm afraid you are being arrogant, and projecting my words onto your persona. I guess next time I'll just straight out call you an idiot, and save us both a lot of typing.
    I suggest therapy for this persecution complex of yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    It's too bad that I never claimed otherwise and you ended up misunderstanding my post.
    Quote Quote
    That's why they formulated this "lack of belief" definition, which is frankly, stupid. It makes no sense for an “-ism” to be a based on a lack of belief.

    I don't think I misunderstood anything. You essentially claimed that atheists who claim to be neutral to religion are lying. Your entire post was condescending and arrogant. Not to mention that you are projecting your opinion of what we should believe instead of trying to understand it instead. It's people like you that make people like myself reject the term because of the knee-jerk asshole reaction that the word invokes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    Merriam-Webster definition of atheist -
    a) a disbelief in the existence of deity.
    b) the doctrine that there is no deity

    disbelief =/= nonbelief.
    non belief = lack of belief.

    Maybe you should go tell the folks at Merriam-Webster that they need to retake grammar class as well?
    I was unaware that Merriam Webster, or any dictionary had the exclusive rights to proper grammar. Most dictionaries display common use definitions, not always grammatically accurate. Unless you wish to challenge several hundred years of commonly accepted grammatical usage, I suggest that you refrain from trying to debunk what atheists actually believe.
    Nuts is offline

  5. #65
    For Vengenace
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gundam Base
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by lupino
    I don't believe that Unicorns exist, because there is no evidence that they ever did. Ergo, I'm just as dumb as someone who believes in religion? :wtf: You do realize that modern science is based entirely upon the scientific method, which itself is based upon finding evidence to support your hypothesis, without which all you have is a nice (or stupid) opinion.
    Modern science has nothing to do with god. You do realize that people think differently and have different beliefs than you? There is plenty of evidence for God, though none of it is scientific (I'm not sure why anyone would expect for there to be scientific evidence for God, but that's another story). This makes theism a rational belief. Have you ever held a rational belief? Also, are you pretending that you use the scientific method to evaluate all of your decisions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
    I don't think I misunderstood anything. You essentially claimed that atheists who claim to be neutral to religion are lying[...]Not to mention that you are projecting your opinion of what we should believe instead of trying to understand it instead.
    I simply pointed out that they expanded their position because they want it to include more people. However, it's too bad that words are supposed to be defined by common usage, not by the people who fit that definition. Also, only a minority of the non-religious people self-identify as atheists. The 2008 American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) shows that 14.1% of the US population self-identified as "no religion" while 0.4% self-identified as atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
    I was unaware that Merriam Webster, or any dictionary had the exclusive rights to proper grammar. Most dictionaries display common use definitions, not always grammatically accurate. Unless you wish to challenge several hundred years of commonly accepted grammatical usage, I suggest that you refrain from trying to debunk what atheists actually believe.
    Are you aware that there are two ways to break down the word atheism? One where the prefix takes precedence and another where postfix takes precedence. Did this really need to be pointed out?

    Here it is broken down:

    1) The incorrect etymology: "a-", meaning "without", and "theism". meaning lack of belief in god.
    2) The correct, etymological definition which is "aethos" meaning godless and "-ism" meaning belief.

    Hundreds of years of commonly accepted grammatical usage? You don't know what you're talking about. The correct usage has always been the second one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
    Your entire post was condescending and arrogant. It's people like you that make people like myself reject the term because of the knee-jerk asshole reaction that the word invokes.
    Well look who's taking the moral high ground. It's great that you're passing judgment on me for something as simple as attacking a definition when you easily glaze over stuff like this:

    Quote Quote
    I'm sure that if they were taught critical analysis and rational scrutiny at the same age that they would be much more likely to formulate a worldview that was much more informed and probably substantially different from what their ancestors shared belief in, whatever it may be.
    This post is basically saying that theists aren't fit for critical or rational thinking. Perhaps the poster takes all theists for idiots? Then we've also got people in here using the "ramen" from the FSM strawman satire. And you yourself pretty much stereotyped every single theist by saying you don't want to "argue with every religious zealot that wishes to challenge my heathenistic ways".

    Pro-tip: next time you decide to put on a show highlighting your tolerance & respect for other beliefs at least pretend to be nonpartisan.
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to GradiusSend a message via MSN to Gradius
    Gradius is offline

  6. #66
    I am become death
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,004

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by lupino View Post
    I don't believe that Unicorns exist, because there is no evidence that they ever did. Ergo, I'm just as dumb as someone who believes in religion? :wtf: You do realize that modern science is based entirely upon the scientific method, which itself is based upon finding evidence to support your hypothesis, without which all you have is a nice (or stupid) opinion.
    God is not a unicorn. Many people who believe in God think there's no physical evidence that could prove his existence. Even if God exists, we can't know it exists by the same means we know an animal exists.I think you haven't really grasped the concept of God for what it is.
    sigline
    Amok is offline

  7. #67
    Forum Elder
    Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,625

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    No, atheism is not a religion. And yes, I like to call myself an atheist if only to provoke discussion, regardless of the true definition of atheism (whatever that may be).

    It seems to me that a lot of religious people haven't really thought about the matter, or close their eyes for the hypocrisies that exists within many religions. I'm working with a couple of traditional muslims and they're incredibly closeminded. The thing I find the most annoying is their rage against pigs and porks, or the fact that their hair must be covered, and that forced marriages are normal. I can hardly talk about it with them, it seems there is a lot of pressure from parentes, siblings and the rest of the community.

    And then there is ofcourse the Christian God with its followers. A good friend of mine believes in that, but I haven't been able to convince him otherwise. He wasn't really raised that way, but "saw the light" a couple of years ago. Sometimes we talk about it and we enter a seemingly endless discussion that usually ends with him describing his whole faith as a "feeling" of "something". Then I reply that I don't feel anything and I ask him if that's weird or supposed to be. He doesn't have an answer ready, shakes his head, and continues to talk about something else... I really like the guy, but I guess that's how religion works. Offers no reasons, only false hope.
    sigline
    Hunta is offline

  8. #68
    Reaching for the Swarm
    Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Koprulu Sector
    Posts
    722

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    God is not a unicorn. Many people who believe in God think there's no physical evidence that could prove his existence. Even if God exists, we can't know it exists by the same means we know an animal exists.I think you haven't really grasped the concept of God for what it is.
    Concept of YOUR god. The concept of god is as wide and varied as there are different shades of colors. There are those who still see it as an old man in the sky (man being based on his image), some see it as a formless do-all maker that encompasses the universe, time, etc.
    sigline
    ۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞
    ۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۝
    Kacaier is offline

  9. #69
    I am become death
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,004

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Well, the old man in the sky God certainly isn't out there.
    sigline
    Amok is offline

  10. #70
    I wrote in black
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    Well, the old man in the sky God certainly isn't out there.
    The probability that this is true is slim but not 0. Maybe he's in the sky but we can't feel/see him or maybe he's in the sky in another dimension. Very unlikely but slightly possible. No I don't believe in this myself, just saying.
    _X_ is offline

  11. #71
    BF Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Atheism is a position based on no evidence. Sounds very compelling.

    My point is that belief in something for which there's no evidence is just as dumb as disbelief in something based on no evidence.
    Atheism is based on trends. God used to make the Sun rise every day. He used to be what created rain, and storms, and lightning. He used to put children in woman, and than place souls in those children. He used to cause plagues when his people strayed. He used to make the crops come in, or let them die. He used to be the one who healed the sick. Science figured out what really did all of that... Now God is reserved only for what Science hasnt figured out yet. You see the trend?

    I am not an atheist. I am anti-religion. If you believe in Christianity, than you MUST also believe in the Muslim faith. You must also believe in the Jewish faith. To be intellectually consistent, and avoid hipocracy and logical falacies, you HAVE to believe in every other religion, because they are all based on the same argument. All Muslims will say "But we dont know" and "There is no proof God doesnt exist" but as soon as you ask them about the Jewish God, they claim they are wrong. You understand?
    sigline

    Quote Quote
    The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - Norman Vincent Peale
    Ever find yourself saying: "What IF?
    Operatoring is offline

  12. #72
    Most Intelligent Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    8,456

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by lupino View Post
    I don't believe that Unicorns exist, because there is no evidence that they ever did. Ergo, I'm just as dumb as someone who believes in religion? :wtf: You do realize that modern science is based entirely upon the scientific method, which itself is based upon finding evidence to support your hypothesis, without which all you have is a nice (or stupid) opinion.
    If we applied that consistently we would also have to come to the logical conclusion that there is no life outside of Earth -- even when that probably isn't true.

    The reasoning is faulty. This method of argument is known as "reductio ad absurdum," literally your logic has been reduced to absurdity.
    sigline
    "Much like how low rates on treasuries and low inflation refuted the world view of the 'internet-austrians'."
    Troll is offline

  13. #73
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
    If we applied that consistently we would also have to come to the logical conclusion that there is no life outside of Earth -- even when that probably isn't true.

    The reasoning is faulty. This method of argument is known as "reductio ad absurdum," literally your logic has been reduced to absurdity.
    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

  14. #74
    Most Intelligent Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    8,456

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Yep, we're tired of your shit I agree.
    sigline
    "Much like how low rates on treasuries and low inflation refuted the world view of the 'internet-austrians'."
    Troll is offline

  15. #75
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default Re: Atheism is not a Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
    Yep, we're tired of your shit I agree.
    That doesn't make any goddamn sense. You tried this exact same bullshit argument in the other thread and then cried like a bitch because everyone else thought it was retarded. It didn't work then and it's not working now.
    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •