Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 135

Thread: In favor of shutting down SD and banning similar threads

  1. #1
    Nixon in '72!
    Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    13,457

    Default In favor of shutting down SD and banning similar threads

    There are two forms of argument that are helpful and healthy for human society.

    The first form is dialectic, whereby two (or more) participants engage in one another in a mutually cooperative search for truth in regards to some subject. It is traditionally the method characteristic of philosophy and the special sciences which philosophy gives birth to. It is rather obvious that BF SD could not be considered representative of dialectic. There is nothing remotely similar to cooperation between posters, and nobody at any point appears to entertain the prospect that they are incorrect and their opponent correct, which is the foundation upon which the dialectical method is built.

    The second form is rhetoric. Rhetoric is the art of persuasion, and in a democratic society based on public participation, any citizen, in order to fully perform their function as a citizen, has to be equipped to some degree or another with rhetorical skills. Dialectic can not really be engaged in on a society wide scale, but rhetoric allows us to get around the challenges inherent to dialectic and yet still have a society based, to some degree, on reasoned exchange. Is what goes on in SD representative of rhetoric? Obviously, no. At no point does anyone attempt to persuade anyone else of the truth of their positions, nor are their arguments persuasive, unless one comes in wanting to be persuaded. Rather than tailoring arguments to persuade their opponent, SD arguments are tailored in such a way as to give the person making them an excuse not to be persuaded, and to continue hurling insults at their opponent.

    If what goes in in SD is neither dialectic nor rhetoric, what is it? It is simply forum sanctioned fighting. A place for people to go to hurl insults at one another and express internet rage. It is not helpful to the forum in any manner, and should be closed.
    sigline
    Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw? Vote Nixon in '72!
    Send a message via AIM to LasagnaSend a message via MSN to Lasagna
    Lasagna is offline

  2. #2
    Child of the Sun
    Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,795

    Default

    Meh, I ignored Hawaiian, I'm going to see what I can get out of now. Windowlesshouse and myself were having a fairly productive dialectic discussion. Or so I thought, maybe he was angry and I simply didn't detect it. However, there exists no small problem with people entering into discussions in a lazy manner that is not well thought out and getting into pageslong discussions with others that amount to having to effectively construct a real initial post in a retroactive manner. I think if we want to go about creating an SD that works and is functional, we need to first form a table of SD individuals, who possess SD membership and power over others' membership, and develop it from there. I do believe a democracy is the only way SD will ever thrive or function. We keep having mods "put over" SD that amount to people with no experience or interest in SD that eventually give up out of apathy or spite.
    Bodhi is offline

  3. #3
    TestosterOWNAGE
    Array

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,221

    Default

    Contrary to popular belief, the internet is not serious business. SD can die like the floppy disk.
    sigline
    Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid
    DemolitionSquid is offline

  4. #4
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default

    To essentially boil down what Ben said in the first post,

    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

  5. #5
    Child of the Sun
    Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,795

    Default

    I hereby vote JT out of SD.
    Bodhi is offline

  6. #6
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
    I hereby vote JT out of SD.
    Psh, whatever. SD has sucked ever since WinAce died.

    I think SD just needs better moderation. There's only one mod for it, and while the senior mods are supposed to pick up the slack (as has been explained to me), I rarely see them in there.
    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

  7. #7
    BF Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenocideAlive View Post
    Meh, I ignored Hawaiian, I'm going to see what I can get out of now. Windowlesshouse and myself were having a fairly productive dialectic discussion. Or so I thought, maybe he was angry and I simply didn't detect it. However, there exists no small problem with people entering into discussions in a lazy manner that is not well thought out and getting into pageslong discussions with others that amount to having to effectively construct a real initial post in a retroactive manner. I think if we want to go about creating an SD that works and is functional, we need to first form a table of SD individuals, who possess SD membership and power over others' membership, and develop it from there. I do believe a democracy is the only way SD will ever thrive or function. We keep having mods "put over" SD that amount to people with no experience or interest in SD that eventually give up out of apathy or spite.
    I find it hard to remain genuinely angry with anyone over the internet because it doesn't mean anything in the long run. Anyway, I responded to your questions in the stem cell thread.

    SD needs a mod that actively participates and doesn't just respond to the report post notifications. This is because arguments are made in context and knowing what is going on is necessary prior to modding. He/she needs to know the distinctions between legitimate argument and an illegitimate one like Ben has delineated in the first post. Prescience and knowledge of history would also help the cause.

    Also, most arguments are also caused by the two parties misunderstanding of each others particular use of free-floating signifiers (words).

    Submit your resume for review. KTHXBYE
    Last edited by WindowlessHouse; 01-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    sigline
    Democratically elected communists and dictators are illegitimate.
    Send a message via AIM to WindowlessHouse
    WindowlessHouse is offline

  8. #8
    Most Intelligent Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    8,450

    Default

    I agree with Ben, there really is no point of SD. Most people here are unwilling to change their opinions no matter how persuasive your argument is. You could hit somebody with a knock-down argument and they will either backpedal, ignore it, change the subject, or something of that nature. People aren't even interested in learning new things, but instead are more concerned with "winning" arguments.

    Like you said, a lot of people frame their arguments in such a way as to not be persuasive, but instead would rather have somebody to argue with. I do it, you do it, everyone here is guilty of it. I second a vote to remove SD, and also I nominate Kaizen as SD mod should my first vote fail.
    sigline
    "Much like how low rates on treasuries and low inflation refuted the world view of the 'internet-austrians'."
    Troll is offline

  9. #9
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
    I agree with Ben, there really is no point of SD. Most people here are unwilling to change their opinions no matter how persuasive your argument is. You could hit somebody with a knock-down argument and they will either backpedal, ignore it, change the subject, or something of that nature. People aren't even interested in learning new things, but instead are more concerned with "winning" arguments.

    Like you said, a lot of people frame their arguments in such a way as to not be persuasive, but instead would rather have somebody to argue with. I do it, you do it, everyone here is guilty of it. I second a vote to remove SD, and also I nominate Kaizen as SD mod should my first vote fail.
    To borrow terms from the economic world, there really isn't any incentive to making a good argument or "winning" an argument on the internet, anywhere. We're not voting on anything, we're not really trying to convince anyone to change our minds, we don't even have to face any kind of actual reprisals, and at the very worst we get banned. Boo hoo.

    SD used to be full of great posters who actually had detailed arguments, but now most of them are gone. Instead, we have poorly written posts (and yes, I will admit I have written a few of them) about the same old subjects. Nothing new is ever presented, everyone is in intellectual gridlock and are essentially turtling on their positions. On rare occasions do people admit they are wrong, or change their mind, but usually people blather about the same old shit, and then get all offended when someone disagrees (again, I am guilty of this in the past).

    I second Kaizen as being mod material, but I wouldn't mind Ben, Grog, or a reinstated Nuts as new SD mods. Sure, we don't agree on much, but at least they make coherent arguments, and are generally nice.
    Last edited by JT; 01-23-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

  10. #10
    -gy*
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Maybe not shutting down, but if not it needs major reform.

    But otherwise, yes SD is pretty much a disgrace.

    I've never understood why people get so much satisfaction over insulting and belittling their opponents over the internet. You gain nothing...in fact you have probably lost the opportunity to learn something intelligent they may have had to say.
    sigline
    Are you such a dreamer
    To put the world to rights?
    I'll stay home forever
    Where two and two always makes a five
    Grog is offline

  11. #11
    Doing Science
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Maybe not shutting down, but if not it needs major reform.

    But otherwise, yes SD is pretty much a disgrace.

    I've never understood why people get so much satisfaction over insulting and belittling their opponents over the internet. You gain nothing...in fact you have probably lost the opportunity to learn something intelligent they may have had to say.
    See above Penny Arcade comic. Without any kind of face-to-face communication or any real consequences, the asshole in all of us is unleashed on the internet. Some people are just "better" at it.
    sigline
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion." -Carl Sagan
    Send a message via AIM to JTSend a message via MSN to JTSend a message via Skype™ to JT
    JT is offline

  12. #12
    Most Intelligent Member
    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    8,450

    Default

    I know. I'm actually a very likeable guy in real life, but I've noticed I'm only "friends" on blizzforums with people who more or less agree with me and my positions. I guess one thing thats different about me is that actually I do provoke confrontations in real life too just like here. If I sense that somebody doesn't like me I will usually try to act even more obnoxious to get them to speak up.
    sigline
    "Much like how low rates on treasuries and low inflation refuted the world view of the 'internet-austrians'."
    Troll is offline

  13. #13
    Ha Ha!
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,444

    Default

    Don't like it, don't go there?

    I fail to see how such a high volume section needs a shutdown.
    sigline
    There's nay'ry an animal that can outrun a greased Scotsman!
    Mike is offline

  14. #14
    -gy*
    Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    It is simply forum sanctioned fighting. A place for people to go to hurl insults at one another and express internet rage. It is not helpful to the forum in any manner, and should be closed.
    I disagree with the conclusion as well, but he did give well-thought out reasoning, mike.
    sigline
    Are you such a dreamer
    To put the world to rights?
    I'll stay home forever
    Where two and two always makes a five
    Grog is offline

  15. #15
    Nixon in '72!
    Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    13,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don't like it, don't go there?

    I fail to see how such a high volume section needs a shutdown.
    I was not expressing merely a personal dislike of it but a belief that its existence is actually harmful to the forum at large.
    sigline
    Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw? Vote Nixon in '72!
    Send a message via AIM to LasagnaSend a message via MSN to Lasagna
    Lasagna is offline

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •